NEurope
flameboy

GAME Group what next?

They must be incredibly desperate for cash giving the sales they are having. Only way I can see them being OK is if they sell for some insanely small amount of money. Mass Effect 3 has done just fine without them so obviously people are fine shopping elsewhere. It's only a matter of time before they would be done for completely. If they somehow survive to the next round of consoles that will probably be the last success for them.

I went to the Game store on Oxford Street on Saturday and, after being asked if I was visiting from another country (must have been struck down with short term Foreign Accent syndrome) managed to buy a few cheap games.

I really hope Game doesn't disappear completely, but i think that's what's going to happen. Everyone i know buys their games online now, either downloading them or off Amazon.

EDIT: Went in to my local Game on my way home and found a cheap pre-owned copy of Gears of War 3. Brill.

Edited by 130131301364

Well Mass Effect has hit #1 easily without GAME, so there's clearly no reason for publishers to back them even if they do survive. Publishers hate GAME with good reason. I, for one, welcome our new shopto overlords.

Anyone gonna risk buying shares?

I did actually think about it!

Use www dot share dot com if you do. Because;

A) We are one of, if not the cheapest.*

B) The best, by far.*

C) Loads of awards.

But.....IMHO....buying GAME shares is an absolutely colossal risk. On the one hand....if you have £100 to waste then why not, on the other....meh.

(*Not just saying that. Find someone cheaper, I dare you. *Best customer service you will find)

Use www dot share dot com if you do. Because;

A) We are one of, if not the cheapest.*

B) The best, by far.*

C) Loads of awards.

But.....IMHO....buying GAME shares is an absolutely colossal risk. On the one hand....if you have £100 to waste then why not, on the other....meh.

(*Not just saying that. Find someone cheaper, I dare you. *Best customer service you will find)

lol I acutally don't have anywhere near that amount of money. I was thinking more like 20 quids worth...I'm mostly joking I do not think there is much point at all really.

You would probably be better off using that £20 to wipe your arse.

(waits for them to bounce back miraculously solely to spite me)

You can all say GAME is shit and whatever.

But end of the day, alot of people are going to lose their jobs. In the current climate, it's hardly something to laugh about and be glad at.

I hope they survive for that reason.

lol I acutally don't have anywhere near that amount of money. I was thinking more like 20 quids worth...I'm mostly joking I do not think there is much point at all really.

You can't really spend £20 on shares, as you'd be about that much again on commission.

You can't really spend £20 on shares, as you'd be about that much again on commission.

Pffft, with other companies maybe.

But yeah, exactly. Although with shares so cheap it makes it more worth it, £20 is unrealistic.

But end of the day, alot of people are going to lose their jobs. In the current climate, it's hardly something to laugh about and be glad at.

exactly... even in the best circumstances (they survive and have to cull shops like barratts did) lots of people are going to lose their job...

I hope they are bought out and reformed. Their previous business wasn't attractive to people/me/us people - need bargains, more knowledge, more plays, social aspect, sales, etc.

Yeah I think they could still do plenty to recover, like ditch the MASS number of shops they have in cities... They only have 1 local to me, and that's all they damn need.... It's nice being able to walk around the shop and browse the titles and the offers... I would genuinely miss it, its not the same buying online!

Exactly, I mean....how many of us go down town and don't pop into a games store to see if there is any bargains. A reform with a focus on whats important, and what is more improtant and valuable generally speaking VS online (instant customer support, help, knowledge, social aspect) is what needs to be concentrated on. I think they need to re-think the pre-owned stuff too. Of course hope that they don't go under and it has as little effect on the work force as possible, but at least some of the people who will be effected can go on to greater things....if there is some kind of silver lining.

Yeah I think they could still do plenty to recover, like ditch the MASS number of shops they have in cities... They only have 1 local to me, and that's all they damn need.... It's nice being able to walk around the shop and browse the titles and the offers... I would genuinely miss it, its not the same buying online!

When you think about it though, there's not really much stores give you these days. In many cases it's as quick/quicker to download a title than it is to go to the shop and buy it.

And as for seeing the boxes...they're just plastic boxes with printed paper inserts inside them. The boxart can be viewed for every game online anyway.

The main factor for buying games is not sentimentality but cheap prices. The cost to running stores means on average online will always be cheaper, so most people will avoid the shops and favour online.

Honestly I can't remember the last time I bought a video game instore.

Yes I might pop in very, very occasionally and take a look at the shelves, but to no point because I won't buy anything because I know I can get it much cheaper and more convieniently online. Plus the range of games is better online too. Plus there's a chance of getting the game early online and delivery is free, saving petrol/bus money.

And you can get good trade in rates online now as well, so no USP there either anymore.

Both Game and especially Gamestation have become absolutely terrible at stocking new games outside of a Top 10/20.

You're right in that they don't need the vast numbers of the same store in town, I think there's 2/3 in mine which is just stupid.

I honestly don't know what a high street video games store could do to make me shop in them nowadays... even if they met online prices. There just isn't really the need for them anymore, just like CD/DVD's on the high street.

Edited by Retro_Link

I am half tempted to invest in an independant game store in town. Now GAME and Gamestation are going down the pan and HMV are downsizing their gaming section, it leaves a massive gap in Bournemouth town centre. Price competitively and just be awesome.

I am half tempted to invest in an independant game store in town. Now GAME and Gamestation are going down the pan and HMV are downsizing their gaming section, it leaves a massive gap in Bournemouth town centre. Price competitively and just be awesome.

Bournemouth Uni run animation and other courses linked to gaming. I'd say it would likely do quite well.

My heart honestly goes out to the people who are working on the ground at Game and Gamestation. They have always been my main reason for going in there (often staff putting something aside for me that they knew I wanted or just for a general gaming chat) and I know how disheartening it is when you really put your heart in to something and it doesn't work out. Especially when it's not under your control.

on another note anybody going to invest in a Chips franchise store?

Yah I know like I said i'm joking really! I used to dabble in shares as an 18 year old thinking I'd make my millions lol, best I did was £102 on £500 rolls royce shares! I used to love the shareholders reports I would get as if I could make pivitol decisions based on these reports.

My local is so low on stock now after this sale, they have put ps2 games out on display to fill the gaps. All the stock thats left is overpriced tat. Oh well i got advance wars for 98p, sin and punishment for £2.98 disaster day of crisis £1.98 :)

I only really know of GAME, CEX and HMV in the town centre. Are there any other shops I'm missing then?

I went into GAME yesterday but there was absolutely nothing of interest there. The same crap games that were on display before, and the games that were there weren't really discounted by much. =(

I can feel sorry for people losing their jobs and still be glad that what I see as a pariah of the games industry is set to fall. I've chatted to the people in my local GameStation plenty of times as they're nice enough, but that doesn't change my opinion on their company's business model.

Everyone knows Dyson's a great guy and I'm sure he does a good job. I don't want him to be out of work; I've recently been made unemployed again, and it sucks. That still doesn't change my opinion that GAME needs to die to allow someone else to move in and change things up.