NEurope
flameboy

GAME Group what next?

Me: "Certainly sir, and may I comment on how beer-like your cologne is today, kudos! Now, your ID and proof of address... Let's see, an expired drivers licence and a letter from a methadone clinic asking why you missed your last appointment... *sigh* here's your money, the dealers are in the alley on your left as you leave the shop."

I don't think they ever asked for proof of address...

Not updated in the Worksop store yet, they seem to be slowly doing it.

We were certainly told to, something to do with showing legal proof of domicile and right to sell the games in question.

i managed to pick up Castlevania as in the new 3D one for 2.98 on their website when it was in stock but now it's showing up as preorder, so doubt I will ever end up with that. Damn work being in the way of actually getting in store.

Pre owned is so... Sticky. I was always glad when working there that we didn't do cash for old games. Then about six months before I left, they started with the cash - ID plus address required.

Society's Dregs: "I want to exchange this bag of definitely not stolen games for cash."

Me: "Certainly sir, and may I comment on how beer-like your cologne is today, kudos! Now, your ID and proof of address... Let's see, an expired drivers licence and a letter from a methadone clinic asking why you missed your last appointment... *sigh* here's your money, the dealers are in the alley on your left as you leave the shop."

They do at Grainger games (if you want cash, I don't think they're bothered for store credit) as some chavvy people didn't have any when I was buying Hatsworth. All they had was a passport which only confirmed identity, not residence.

For those wondering, it's preowned BUUUUUUUTTTTT they're going to be marking new products as preowned shortly (like their games)

PS, just to add another one. 3DS is £114.99 (crazy!) and the Vita will not be marked down at all (probably because GAME don't actually own their Vita stock, it's on loan from Sony)

I think (with regards to the address issue) that it depends on staff following the set procedure

I know about a week/two weeks ago, I was in the GAME store in the white rose centre looking at the tiny (3 shelves) PC display next to the tills, and this woman was laying into this GAME employee.

It seems her son who it seems was 16 was trying to trade in several 18 rated GAMES and as he was under age he was rightfully not letting him, his mother came over kicking off saying he'd been trading 18 rated games in for years at that very store and what was the problem? she was with him?

It raged on even as his manager backed him up saying they can be fined (IIRC the fine for selling to minor is about £5000 not sure if thats to the store, staff or what).

Not sure of the outcome as i left (it had gone on some time), but i heard him use some good analogies with other age restricted items like Alcohol and she surely wouldn't allow him to buy, or buy them for him let alone sell them on.

So i think it depends on the staff, and if thats the reaction they get you can understand them avoiding asking if it means a huge argument with a bunch of twats

the whole staying nice to the customer attitude is wrong, retailers should allow staff to be curt and when a customer escalates a situation tell them to leave and not even humour them

I can't decide if its worth going into town for cheap games. On uk deals lots of people saying they have been into stores and seen people buying like 100 games to then sell....

How are they getting away with stickering up new stock as preowned? Surely they still have to pay suppliers for them as well?

I can't decide if its worth going into town for cheap games. On uk deals lots of people saying they have been into stores and seen people buying like 100 games to then sell....

How are they getting away with stickering up new stock as preowned? Surely they still have to pay suppliers for them as well?

Yesterday lunch time was relatively quiet, I bought 9 games, but that was small in comparison to the people that were there.

One 'Mum' was at the PS3 section picking up practically a copy of every game.

Another chap in a suit was monitoring the Wii section, and ended up with about 20 games himself (multi platforms)

Today I went again at lunch with a work colleague as he was interested in the PS3 games, well it was havoc today, people were very tightly squeezed at each section of the shop for specific consoles.

And yeah alot of people were just walking around with games piled over their line of sight.

One particular individual I noticed had Tiger Woods 07, 8, 9, 10 in his pile.

Not many people were bothering with FIFA though as the end 'display' area was decked with FIFA 08 to 11 from 48p to 98p price ranges.

I'm tempted to buy more. If only for trade-in fodder. I think it's possible to make a profit on this.

Kinda glad I didn't go into my local Gamestation today then if it's really busy. Will these people really make money by trying sell on the games they bought? Good Luck to them. Surely GAME themselves could go and trade the games in at HMV/Cex etc if they'll get more money. :laughing:

Sad to see GAME/Gamestation it go but even sadder now people are trying to make money off the companies trouble.

Apparently, they need to raise £6million* in 2 weeks in order to not go under

*Source: Jordan

I popped into GAME last night on the way home, picked up a copy of Wild World for £13. If i went in today, would have saved £2 more for the game.

Had a nice chat with the store manager as well, he's annoyed with everyone coming in having a go at them for not stocking Mass Effect 3. He was saying the lack of EA games is only for a month, so hopefully they should get some titles in April, thats if they don't go under by then.

Apparently, they need to raise £6million* in 2 weeks in order to not go under

*Source: Jordan

I popped into GAME last night on the way home, picked up a copy of Wild World for £13. If i went in today, would have saved £2 more for the game.

Had a nice chat with the store manager as well, he's annoyed with everyone coming in having a go at them for not stocking Mass Effect 3. He was saying the lack of EA games is only for a month, so hopefully they should get some titles in April, thats if they don't go under by then.

Jordan as in ex-mod Jordan? Fucking hell if that's true, I don't have much confidence in them reaching that goal.

If they pull through though, good for them. I hope they conduct business in a more sensible manner because there are a lot of jobs at stake.

The very one indeed.

I for one don't want them to go under, but if they do it is their own fault.

Popped into Game today and picked up a copy of Advance Wars: Dark Conflict (98p) and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars (£7.98). I wanted to use my points (£3 or so) somehow and these seemed like decent enough buys, even if they're not my usual type of game.

We were certainly told to, something to do with showing legal proof of domicile and right to sell the games in question.

I wasn't sure if he was responding seriously to your point, or implying that he was a meth-head. I took it as the later and had a little chuckle.

I went to game today to get my Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater and Unit 13 and I hope game get though this or GameStop buys them

Edited by canand

Ok so having missed out on a lot of the online deals. I decided to pop to my local GAME and they had fuck all. There are 3 isles with 9 islands in the centre of the shop and they were pretty much bare except for just regularish priced newer preowned stuff. It kind of demonstrated the problem the walls of the store is all the newer stuff there is just next to nothing compared to the preowned stuff.

However went to Gamestation which is slightly more tucked away and got myself this little lot for £18.82:

scaled.php?server=14&filename=photoelt.jpg&res=medium

Prices paid:

Dead Space £2.98

Medal Of Honour 2.98

Space Marine 1.98

Heavenly Sword 98p

Dead Space 2 4.98

Order Up 1.98

Advance Wars 98p

Lego Indy 2 98p

World Cup 2010 98p

Bargains! I decided not to just buy things for the sake of it even though they were cheap like I've no interest in Kane and Lynch so decided not to pick up either of them for 98p. It was mostly about picking up games I had missed for one reason or another when they released, that's certainly what medal of honor the dead space games, heavenly sword and space marine represent. Cannot believe just 1.98 for space marine I nearly bought it for £12 the other week.

Fancied World Cup might have been a shit one of us but I loved that world cup as an event and such. Lego Indy and Order Up more casual offering to play with the missus we just finished the first indy and she loves Order Up on the ipod. Also enjoyed Advance Wars on the GBA so thought why not give it a go.

I had two experiences relating to the different types of customers taking advantage of the sales.

One guy buying hundreds of games totalled £137 he tried to haggle them down to £110 slapping cash on the desk saying "cmon I got £110 in cash now" and "I'm market stall owner, I've got a business to run" like fuck you do you not realise love them or hate them gamestation are a business to run and they are doing this out of sheer desperation! He eventually relented and pulled out his wallet that was bulging with cash and pulled out the extra cash, what a twat.

On the other hand a more heart warming tale. A father and son with the father buying a copy of New Zealand Story and a preowned DS after the kid had seen New Zealand Story sold out on the site and the Dad who had stopped gaming but felt a pang of nostalgia when he saw the game on the site and had been going through stores to find it. As a thank you to his son he got him the Chronicles of Narnia game...seems like the kid got the raw deal.

I've just checked my game account and I have a fair few rewards point (enough for a free game).

Upon searching the site for games I want, all of which are out of stock I have come to the following two games, and would just like a bit of advice.

Guild Wars 2 -

Not out yet so would be a bit of a risk preordering it from what I have read.

SWTOR Collectors Edition -

Not played the beta (I was a SWG player back in the day but I understand the two arent alike in any way), but am hearing mixed reviews about it, so I dont know.

I've just checked my game account and I have a fair few rewards point (enough for a free game).

Upon searching the site for games I want, all of which are out of stock I have come to the following two games, and would just like a bit of advice.

Guild Wars 2 -

Not out yet so would be a bit of a risk preordering it from what I have read.

SWTOR Collectors Edition -

Not played the beta (I was a SWG player back in the day but I understand the two arent alike in any way), but am hearing mixed reviews about it, so I dont know.

I'm by no means an expert but from what I understand the general mission structure and feel of SWTOR is similar to WoW with those awesome KOTOR trappings wrapped around it. Isn't Guild Wars meant to offer something slightly different?

Ive bought SWTOR collectors edition with all of my reward points.

I have also had a look at my preorder list which I totaly forgot about.

There is one preorder which is Diablo 3, which was placed in 2008! I didnt realise the game has been known about for that long.

double win from the ashes of GAME for me.

my me3 pre order (that I was going to ignore anyway) got me £5 credit. Wahey!

also got Arkham City for £20 earlier. Result!

GAME put on sale.

Embattled computer games retailer Game has put itself up for sale in a last-ditch bid to stave off financial collapse.

Its quarterly rent bill is due in a fortnight and failure to pay its landlords could push it into administration, jeopardising 10,000 jobs and wiping out investors.

The Sunday Times newspaper said advisory firm Rothschild has been appointed to find a buyer for the business, which includes 600 UK shops, but that completing a deal in such a short time-frame will be difficult.

The retailer's trading difficulties deepened in recent weeks, despite it agreeing revised lending facilities with its banks last month.

But the loan was not enough to reassure suppliers, with Game reportedly losing the rights to sell keenly awaited fighting game Street Fighter X Tekken.

Last month the retailer told gamers it would not be selling popular sci-fi game Mass Effect 3, supplied by Electronic Arts.

The report said Deloitte has been lined up to handle any insolvency process which could see Game's UK operations put through a pre-pack administration in order for some or all of its estate to be sold on quickly.

The company, which has 1,300 stores worldwide trading under the Game and Gamestation brands, suffered a dismal Christmas with like-for-like sales down 12.9% in the eight weeks to January 7, blamed on a lack of new consoles and a squeeze in consumer spending.

Game has already signalled that losses for the year to the end of January will be around £18 million.

Source: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/10-000-game-workers-may-lose-job-122313224.html