NEurope
flameboy

GAME Group what next?

Not really but I am starting to run out of shops to visit when I do go "outside" :P

Totally agree. When I bought the 3DS, I had two GAMEs, GameStation and an HMV to get StreetPasses from (and browse, of course!) Soon we probably won't have any! GAME have made a few mis-steps but I'm still more fond of them than any other video games retailer. It's a real mess.

Downloadable games will probably mean we'll be able to have all genres again, with no limited print runs... eventually. It's going to be a long, long time before worldwide broadband standards are good enough. 3DS games can be 2GB (just for starters), Wii U will use 25GB discs... far too high to replicate over the internet at the moment.

Like I say, I honestly think online shops being the only places to buy games for the forseeable future could mean very limited print runs, or publishers just not releasing something.

PS3 uses Blu Ray discs and several PS3 games can be downloaded on the store. Don't take long to download either.

Even on my slow 2Mbps connection a 20GB PC game downloads over 2 nights. Certainly doesn't put be off buying via download. Generally won't pay anything like full retail for download games though, £25 is about my limit.

Well, the website is now down:

GAME.co.uk is down for maintenance.

MJA Jervis and SD Maddison have been appointed as Joint Administrators of The GAME Group plc, Game Stores Group Limited, Gameplay (GB) Limited, Game (Stores) Limited, Games Station Limited, Game (Retail) Limited and Gamestation Limited on 26 March 2012, to manage their affairs, business and property as their agents and without personal liability.

We are currently reviewing and processing orders placed on this website.

MJA Jervis and SD Maddison are licensed in the United Kingdom to act as insolvency practitioners by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and we hope to be back up and running very soon.

Found on their Facebook page:

Dear GAME customers,

Here’s some important news about us. GAME Group plc (the parent company of GAME in the UK) is now in administration. We want you to know that the Administrators aim at this time is to continue trading while they seek to find a new owner for the business.

In the meantime, we’ve had to make some changes. We’ve summarised them below. Some of them are temporary, some are permanent.

1.Online Sales: We expect some disruption to our online services over the next few days while we make some changes. We apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

2.Refunds and Exchanges: Until further notice, we will not be able to offer refunds or exchanges for products purchased either before the administration or for products purchased from the date of the administration.

3.Pre-Orders: No new pre-orders can be taken until further notice. No refunds can be given for any pre-order deposits which have been paid. We are reviewing this over the next week.

4.GAME Reward card: We have had to suspended use of GAME Reward Cards. This means that points can be earned but NOT redeemed until further notice.

5.Gift cards: We have also had to suspend GAME gift cards. The value on these cards cannot be redeemed. If this changes, we will let you know. We apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

6.GAMEWallet: the value stored in GAMEwallet accounts will be suspended until further notice following the appointment of administrators.

7.Pre-owned Software: You can still buy pre owned products at great prices in your local store or online. If you trade in a pre-owned software item then you will still be able to accrue reward points and use your trade in to exchange for another item. You will not be able to trade in pre-owned software for cash. If this changes, we will let you know. We apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

8.Pre-owned Hardware: We have had to suspend trade in for pre-owned hardware at this time. If this changes, we will let you know. We apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

9.Click and Collect titles: We have had to suspend this service. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.

MJA Jervis and SD Maddison have been appointed as Joint Administrators of The GAME Group plc, Game Stores Group Limited, Gameplay (GB) Limited, Game (Stores) Limited, Games Station Limited, Game (Retail) Limited and Gamestation Limited on 26 March 2012 to manage their affairs, business and property as their agents and without personal liability. MJA Jervis and SD Maddison are licensed in the United Kingdom to act as insolvency practitioners by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.

If you have any questions please feel free to email us at: [email protected]

3.Pre-Orders: No new pre-orders can be taken until further notice. No refunds can be given for any pre-order deposits which have been paid. We are reviewing this over the next week.

5.Gift cards: We have also had to suspend GAME gift cards. The value on these cards cannot be redeemed. If this changes, we will let you know. We apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

Whoa. These two are seriously taking the piss. The deposits are less of a ballache perhaps, but the gift cards!?* Someone buys you a £20 card and now you can't use it, that's bullshit.

*If they are what I think they are.

What I don't like is how they're encouraging you on trading in your used games and not getting cash but getting reward points, yet you can't use the reward points

Whoa. These two are seriously taking the piss. The deposits are less of a ballache perhaps, but the gift cards!?* Someone buys you a £20 card and now you can't use it, that's bullshit.

*If they are what I think they are.

It's pretty much a standard practice for companies up shit creek. Same thing happened when Virgin Megastores went down. There is an actual legit reason for it legally which I can't quite remember but your not an outright creditor as gift cards don't have a cash value so they don't have to honour them and if you think about it it's very easy "debt" to write off.

Scum.

For the past week my local Game and Gamestation have had boards outside encouraging customers to trade in their games in exchange for store credit. They've been offering extra to customers if they take store credit. They've also been pushing deposited pre-orders hard. Pretty sure this was planned all along and they have been taking goods and money from customers without any intention of paying anything back. Thieving scumbags tbh. Hope they burn (also got significantly less sympathy for the staff who have been party to this con).

Edited by McPhee

I'm sure it says somewhere on the card that they aren't valid if the company goes ploop.

Scum.

For the past week my local Game and Gamestation have had boards outside encouraging customers to trade in their games in exchange for store credit. They've been offering extra to customers if they take store credit. They've also been pushing deposited pre-orders hard. Pretty sure this was planned all along and they have been taking goods and money from customers without any intention of paying anything back. Thieving scumbags tbh. Hope they burn (also got significantly less sympathy for the staff who have been party to this con).

I don't think that is very fair on the staff at all. They are just doing their jobs and doing what they are told, to be fair to them rightly or wrongly they need to keep pushing these things so their store is making money so they potentially don't lose their jobs. To say they are party to a con is really harsh, they are not trying to con you they are following company policies. Yes the upper management likely know this would be the case a while but shop staff nah.

Like it doesn't matter how many bad experiences you've had in your local game or whether you think the guy behind the counter is a prick. There are 1000's of people losing their jobs potentially and lets be honest thats a position none of us ever want to be in.

It's official GAME is now DEAD. GAME OVER. 200+ stores closed with immediate effect and 2,000+ plus staff cut. I feel bad for the employees who are losing their jobs but I never liked the company. They were a rip-off especially here in Ireland. What I'm now wondering is will there be a fire sale before the end of the week those that even make it until then?

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/sky-sources-game-administration-090213893.html

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1298060/game_administrator_closing_277_uk_stores_with_hefty_job_losses_report.html

Edited by Wii

It saddens me to see the demise of Game. In the early/mid 90's i used to enjoy the services of Tandy until it closed down. It is fair to say that the atmosphere that existed in the 90's no longer exists today. Gaming in this generation feels different somehow. I miss the endless consoles in the 90's with the vast amount of choices you had. For example in 93, we had to choose between the@ SNES, Mega, CDi, Sega CD, 3D0 and a few others. These days you buy online and you have little choice

It's official GAME is now DEAD. GAME OVER. 200+ stores closed with immediate effect and 2,000+ plus staff cut. I feel bad for the employees who are losing their jobs but I never liked the company. They were a rip-off especially here in Ireland. What I'm now wondering is will there be a fire sale before the end of the week those that even make it until then?

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/sky-sources-game-administration-090213893.html

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1298060/game_administrator_closing_277_uk_stores_with_hefty_job_losses_report.html

Unfortunately people will lose their jobs, how a company can be so blind to how many of their stores were overkill in a lot of towns and cities is beyond me.

From what was said on the Irish news on RTE just now it seems the Irish stores are already closed down now, So no "Closing Down" sale or anything. Feel sorry of course for the staff. And also said on the news here is GAME aren't even paying out any redundacies to staff and some staff are planning store sit-ins in protest.

Didn't have any GAME near me though, only a GameStop, hopefully they are still in good position. I do all my game buying from there if they went bust I'd only have Tesco, Argos and Smyths Toystores which are all more expensive. And if I pre-ordered anything online the earliest I would ever get anything is the Monday after release. I need a proper retail store if I want my games/consoles on release

Unfortunately people will lose their jobs, how a company can be so blind to how many of their stores were overkill in a lot of towns and cities is beyond me.

Well, they must have been doing ok if they've been open for a while, as in it must've made sense at the time to open so many. Recession, and all. I know a Game employee in England who just got made redundant, it's a bit more upsetting when you actually know people who are affected.

I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't going to be any closing down sales though, I would've liked some GBA and DS games, or stuff as presents :( I bet the Game shops in Dublin are going to either be replaced by a) jewellery shops, or b) Starbucks /poker face

I don't think that is very fair on the staff at all. They are just doing their jobs and doing what they are told

Hey up, sounds familiar.

Kidding, but really not at all sad to see this douchebag of a company go!

I'm pretty sure the store staff were unaware about the imminent closure of gift cards and stuff.

Didn't have any GAME near me though, only a GameStop, hopefully they are still in good position. I do all my game buying from there if they went bust I'd only have Tesco, Argos and Smyths Toystores which are all more expensive. And if I pre-ordered anything online the earliest I would ever get anything is the Monday after release. I need a proper retail store if I want my games/consoles on release

Don't hold your breath cos aren't GameStop in a bit of trouble? Remember towards the end of last year they had to shut x amounts of stores. I think they pretty much closed nearly all of them in Northern Ireland. The 2 in Belfast defo went.

EDIT:

Yup, looks like Gamestop are gradually closing all stores to became online only...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-24-gamestop-closes-northern-ireland-stores

Seems that they had a better plan than Game..

Edited by Platty

The GAME in my town has somehow evaded closure. I guess it makes sense considering GAME will want a presence somewhere in certain regions. Every other store in driving distance from Watford was closed down from looking at the list.

glad I managed to spend all my reward card money before this happened!

Staff have been doing what they should have been doing: trying to get the business back on its feet. I won't accept any criticism of them for that. While people have been short changed, they really should have done some homework before trading in for points - its not as if GAMEs troubles haven't been well publicised.

I am sure, for paid deposits, you can now claim as a creditor - you'll probably get very little back though. But points and gift cards are worthless.

From the comments from PwC, at least they're committed to selling the business as a going concern - that's great news for the stores that are open at the end of the week. Some of the closed stores may also resurface as a new force on the high street - if GameStop don't get GAME in full, they'll go for the other half of the business. In this case administration does simply seem to be a reset, rather than power off.

ShopTo:

get4.jpg

On top of that

We are attempting to secure the customer database from the administrators to re-instate all customer reward points

A list of the closures:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/store-closures-begin-at-game-and-gamestation/093365

Edit:

In Manchester: The two GAME stores in the Arndale centre are closing. The GameStation in there (which took me around half an hour to find it's in such a bad place) is stating open.

In Stockport: Both GAME and GameStation, which are right next to each other, are staying open.

In Sheffield: Both GAME and GameStation in the city centre are closing. The two GAMEs and one GameStation in Meadowhall are staying open. (Edit: The Meadowhall ones are under "Meadowhall" and not "Sheffield", two are closing - so does that mean there is only one left in the whole of Sheffield?)

Those don't make much sense.

Edited by Cube
Automerged Doublepost

It sucks but they did seem to have stores everywhere with high prices...

My local GAME (in Crewe) has closed looking at the list, but my nearest gamestations in Northwich and Crewe seem to remain.

Having a quick skim through the list it has said that five stores in Leeds have closed down! That's a lot of stores in one city...

Hope @Dyson job is ok!

In Manchester: The two GAME stores in the Arndale centre are closing. The GameStation in there (which took me around half an hour to find it's in such a bad place) is stating open.

I don't even remember seeing a gamestation in the Arndale when I was there a few months ago...

I noticed one of the stores at the Trafford centre is closing as well, unsurprising as there was technically three there.