NEurope
Shorty

Report a Bug! [Read OP first]

It's only happening on Chrome on my tablet. It's not happening on my Chromebook.

Fake Edit: Disabled Adblock and it started happening.

Real edit:

This looks like the suspect:

<!-- End Countdown Javascript code -->
<script type="text/javascript"> 
   var adfly_id = 2771732; 
   var adfly_advert = 'int'; 
   var popunder = false; 
   var exclude_domains = ['www.n-europe.com', 'n-europe.com','n-europeforums.com']; 
</script> 
<script src="https://cdn.adf.ly/js/link-converter.js"></script>
<br />

<!-- breadcrumb, login, pm info -->

Edited by Ike

The home page is currently showing me logged in as user: Ealdst. I can't follow any profile links (just takes me to my own) but it's showing wrong :p

Yeah it's been brought up repeatedly in this thread... cba to explain it again!

Can you be more specific?

A table crashed yesterday, and I had to close the forums for a bit. Got it fixed around 4.15pm BST though, so whatever you're experiencing might be unrelated.

I just assumed he was talking about how slow its been lately and all the errors that keep popping up.

Our host has said we're using too many server resources and is constantly adding restrictions to our site. Caching parts of the front-end and presumably limiting connections, so you will occasionally get a 403/500 error.

I've just turned off a bunch of non-essential forum features which will hopefully reduce load a bit.

I've just turned off a bunch of non-essential forum features which will hopefully reduce load a bit.

For all users? Apparently I can't thank posts anymore (others seem to be able to do so). And I can't see who's currently reading a thread.

Edit: I don't think I've exhausted all my "thanks" today ;)

I didn't turn off thanks, I did turn off users viewing a thread and an individual forum.

Hm. Can't thank posts :(

Edit: Now I can. Weird

Edited by drahkon

No idea what happened here. Opened the main NE site to find that I had seemingly been auto logged in as @S\.C\.G. Upon navigating away from the main page, I was directed to the normal log in (so I couldn't cause any mischief on the site).

2014_08_25.jpg

That's very strange. I think this demands a long (and thorough) explanation.

The hosts actually got back to me today saying that it all looks ok now, and should remain unrestricted. No more front page caching, hopefully. Looks like a bunch of crappy search bots were trying to index the site over and over, which was draining a lot of bandwidth. Might try turning some forum features back on in a bit.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or just a weird anomaly but today after logging in - and thanking me for doing so - on the main page it displays as if I haven't logged in - with the option to log in again - until I navigate to a different forum page then I'm displayed as logged in.

Also thread topics still stay remain in bold even after I've checked them and returned to the relevant index - not by using the 'back' button either - which I thought was odd.

I've cleared my cache and it's still doing it so thought it was maybe worth mentioning. ::shrug:

Yeah ive spent all day having to refresh multiple times otherwise the front page just gets stuck with old threads then when going into threads I have to refresh again to see the new posts.

I'm experiencing problems too. On my usercp, I click on a thread with new posts but the new posts don't show.

Yeah there seems to be some kind of caching thing going on... Maybe. This is why @Shorty is the brains.

When we had all those 500 errors last week, it was due to some DDoS (whether intentional or a spider/bot doing something wrong), the host put some caching on to try and help things. I'm not sure how they did it, presumably some kind of memory cache rather than the usual browser caching I would use. So, I've contacted them asking them to disable it, not sure how long that will take.

Ahhhhhh, I though I was going a bit crazy! Refreshes have seemed to mostly work for me though.

I havent noticed it today. I am on a work PC instead of my home one where I was first getting the problem but I doubt that'd make much difference.