NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Broken screen on HTC desire HD :(

So, despite having a shoddy case on my phone, my retardedness knows no bounds and I've managed to drop it screen down and shatter it. Haven't even had it for more than a bloody year and I've broken it already(sorry Eddage).

It seems it still works, but it's sharp in places and will no doubt slice me apart in time, so I'm wondering what people might advise? Anybody else suffered a broken screen on a smartphone? Can I get a sticky screen protector for temporary solution that will still leave the screen functioning?

Alternatively, does anybody know the best/good places to either get it repaired, or instead, a guide on how I could replace it myself?

I suppose it's a silly question to ask if you have it insured? :blank:

I've had a reasonable amount of success replacing screens myself, in the past, with new ones from ebay. Usually depends how hard it is to take the phone apart. iPhone 4/S is a nightmare, for example. You'll usually find plenty of youtube videos that talk you through it. That's just one option though, there will definitely be places that fix it for you.

Ah, yeah found them with a google myself. Thought ?55 might be a bit much though, hoped someone might know somewhere cheaper.

Tisn't insured Shorty, I bought it off Eddage and thought to myself 'insurance? pah! who needs phone insurance, I'll just get a case!' Dunno if I could try and claim it on the house insurance or something. For the record, how much does phone insurance tend to go for?

Cheapest screen I've seen so far is ?20 with tools on ebay, might just get one and try doing it myself. Will need to make sure I find a take apart guide/video first though. EDIT: Just had another look, actually found one for ?15ish but it's from china, wonder whether quality/transit will pose issues. Plus the years it might take to arrive, too.

Does anyone know how much htc themselves charge for repairs?

Edited by Rummy

I've heard some horror stories on reddit about HTC phone repairs so I would say check reviews about them before you go ahead.

For the record, how much does phone insurance tend to go for?

Personally I have my phone insured through my bank. It's not the best service, but probably the best price. It's part of my account package, which also includes things like AA Breakdown insurance, card cover and European holiday insurance. Depending on your bank that usually costs between ?8-?15 per month. The excess on your phone would probably be ?50 though, and banks, unlike companies such as O2, are much slower at getting your claim processed.

I've heard some horror stories on reddit about HTC phone repairs so I would say check reviews about them before you go ahead.

Company reviews or DIY horror stories?

Company reviews or DIY horror stories?

It was about the company. Mainly phones being MIA.

I don't know how broken the screen is without an image but this might be able to help you out.

http://www.novuspolish.com/heavy_scratch_remover.html

http://www.novuspolish.com/fine_scratch_remover.html

Novus heavy and fine scratch removers

Well, to call it a scratch might be quite an understatement! It's properly cracked up :(

It was about the company. Mainly phones being MIA.

Ahh, I see. Tis something I worried about when I was looking round, I post a phone off...I never get a phone back, where do I stand?

Anyway, I've gotten a sticky/plastic cover thingy for the screen for now, which stops the sharp bits from slicing and hopefully more of it falling away/breaking more. I'll see how long it lives like this/how I tolerate it(as it still appears properly functional) and if I get that annoyed I'll take the plunge and try and conduct a self repair.

Thanks for the help and feedback guys :)

Sign in to follow this