NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pancake

Posture

Today at college we were talking about posture. My tutor said if you sit up straight, and it's an effort, then you have bad posture. I tried it and it started to feel really tiring and unnatural quite quickly.

If this happens it means you're using the wrong muscles to maintain an upright position. But apparently if you sit up straight on a regualr basis, your muscles will retrain themselves, and eventually it won't be an effort to sit up straight anymore. You can also do 'tin of beans' exercises to strengthen those muscles.

It's weird how the body is naturally inclined to slouch though. I mean, doesn't everyone have bad posture? Why would the body be inclined to do it if it was unhealthy? Weirdo body!

I felt like a bit of a slob when i realised how much i slouch!

It's not just me, right? Nooo one has good posture, do they??

Well it depends how quickly it gets tiring. Maintaining any fixed position will undoubtedly become tiring after a while. It depends whether we're talking 30 minutes or 30 seconds.

But if you sit in a chair at a desk 'normally' (slouched) for 30 mins then it won't hurt. But if you sat in the same chair and made an effort to sit up straight then it probably would.

I think it would if you sat in the same slouched position for 30 minutes. Normally you're moving around slightly and changing position.

Yeah i guess. Your back would generally remain hunched over though, one of the reasons being that sitting straight up is an effort, so not many people would choose that position if they were shifting for comfort.

I felt like a bit of a slob when i realised how much i slouch!

It's not just me, right? Nooo one has good posture, do they??

Sorry, Pancake. I have excellent posture, as do all of my friends and family.

You're supposed to drag your knuckles on the ground, right?

You're supposed to drag your knuckles on the ground, right?

In your case... yeah! :heh:

I use a standing desk, it has helped my back and legs quite a bit. Takes some getting used to, but overall I dig it.

I use a standing desk, it has helped my back and legs quite a bit. Takes some getting used to, but overall I dig it.

I would like to do that, if I worked from home. As it is, I sit down for about 9 hours a day including driving.

Who am I kidding, I get home and sit down and play games all evening too.

I'm not sure I've actually stood up straight in the last three years.

motivator6730511.jpg

I think there's a time and a place for good posture. Personally, I do keep a good form whilst I'm walking or sitting at a dining table/computer chair (like now). However, I have no problem with slouching on a sofa or laying on my bed.

I used to have bad posture (in my own opinion) so I just made a point of standing up straight. It was a strain at first but after a while it just became natural and now I have good posture.

My back is close to being literally as crooked as a question mark when I slouch, so I normally make an effort to straighten my back, especially when I walk around. I also have a concave chest, which makes me look even worse if I don't make an effort to keep my shoulders back and chest forward. It used to be pretty strenuous, but I've got more used to it by now.

I used to have pretty bad posture, which i think came from sitting 8 hours a day at a desk or similar. Then i switched to a standing desk in my lab, and my posture has become noticibly better.

Sign in to follow this