NEurope
Jimbob

Lent

What I mean is the very idea of giving something up / striving to do more is negative. It goes like this:

- give up chocolate for 40 days!

- Pressure! Remember, don't eat chocolate! Just think about it constantly so you don't!

- Shit now I really want chocolate because it's all I'm thinking about!

- om nom nom nom nom

- oh, god! The shame! --> - Ok, I slipped up, which is normal. I need to think about why I set this goal in the first place, why I should stick with it, and what good it'll do me. Just because I slipped up doesn't mean I can't continue making an effort to give up chocolate, and hopefully change my snacking habits for the better after Lent.

Whoever thinks like this should consider changing their model of thinking, then (see above for alteration). Not saying it's easy, and you do have a point...I think maybe Lent only works for kids quitting sweets, who haven't been exposed to the concepts of crash diets and addiction yet :s It's like quitting anything, I guess - quitting cold turkey works remarkably well for some people, but it just doesn't suit others.

I've given up Chocolate. I did the same for all types of fast food 2 years ago have never touched since. Although I don't think I could do that here, i'm confident I can last until Easter.