NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Public Speaking

Spent 3 days this week at a workshop and at various times we were split into smaller groups and then when we had to come back and present our discussions to the whole group (of 12) everyone did that awkward "look around but don't make eye contact and just hope someone else volunteers" thing. So I did, every bloody time.

I don't mind public speaking (all eyes are on meeee! #vanity) but it seems a lot of people are petrified of it. I know it must be scary but even in smaller groups in which you know everyone?

In a few weeks I've got to give a presentation to the whole school (in the sense of college/university > schools > departments > teams), which could contain a few hundred people for all I know. It's not something I have a great desire to do but it's something I'm willing to do if needs be.

Anyway, that's me. How are you with public speaking?

Public speaking seems to be some weird natural skill I have just been given. I think a lot of it comes from my hatred of awkward silences. Whenever a teacher asks a question I hate that everyone just is silent, I'm always the one to break it, not cos I'm Hermoine Granger, just because it's waisting everyone's time and just a bit rude.

I do school talks about homophobia and bullying and neat stuff like that and I always get really great feedback from them. I make them like stand up gigs and as funny as possible so people see gay people aren't just totally obsessed with protesting and being angry at the system or something... I try to present a happy, healthy gay man which they can relate to, be they whatever orientation.

So yeah... it's something I love and I am (luckily) good at and I'm usually far more modest about things like this.

If someone asked me to do it, my exact reaction would be:

"Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....No".

I personally don't mind public speaking at all; as long as I'm properly prepared for my talk/presentation. If I know what I'm going up to say then it's fine. Answering a question is fine too, as is talking in a debate. What I don't particularly like (although have done on many occasions) is going up to do a presentation without having looked at it first. I like mine to be absolutely perfect.

I'm always the first to volunteer in a group to be the main presenter as I feel I can do a great job with it.

It's a skill that everyone should have. There's no excuses for not being able to do it. We should be getting taught to do it from your very first day in school. Even if it's just standing up and saying your name. As you progress through school you should do more and more proper presentations/talks. In primary school I think I did about 3 in total. In secondary school it was probably about the same until 6th year when I went for House Captain and had to do a big one and then lots after that.

Throughout Uni we had to do loads. It was embarrassing watching people who went up and see their arses collapse under the pressure.

Always been a fantastic orator: persuasive, emotive and possessed of an eloquent turn of phrase.

It's only my extreme right-wing views that have kept me out of government. Stupid white people getting me down...

A good tip (depending on how strong your imagination is) I learned from a TED talk by an artist: imagine that each person in your audience is a rock. You are speaking to a crowd of rocks. Nothing to be scared of! :D

I'm ok with public speaking, I don't get nervous because I hate letting people see me being anything but composed. It's like I've lost and they win if I let any nervousness show >:/ Being well-prepared makes a lot of difference, that's key for me. Though I've never spoken or presented to an overly unfriendly, hostile, or huge group before, so I don't know whether or not I'm really that ok with it.

I reallllllllly don't like it. I don't like any kind of attention, so speaking in front of a group is really nerve wrecking for me. I already get nervous speaking to one person if I don't know them/barely know them.

Though if I have to and I prepare myself, then I don't do a bad job. I'm not great at it and I don't make jokes or anything, but I can keep myself together when I'm doing it.

I think I've come a long way though. A few years ago I was still part of a "Group for Shy People" to try and become less shy, last year I was teaching in front of a class, even to adults! Never thought I could do that heh. =)

Strangely, when I've been in plays in stuff, I'm perfectly fine getting up in front of large groups of people and doing the part. With smaller groups, however, I do get a case of the ol' butterflies. Think it's mainly to do with the fact that it's a more intimate setting which makes you far more aware of everyone sitting and listening to/looking at you.

University has helped though as I've had to give various presentations over the last year and I definitely feel more comfortable and confident standing up and speaking publically. I always print out notes for what I'm going to say in them but because of feeling more at ease, I find myself just speaking as if to a group of friends and rarely looking at my notes, if at all.

Definitely takes practise but I'm glad I can now do it with little discomfort and I do agree it's something everyone should be able to do to some degree and that schools should be encouraging it more. Still didn't sign up to present my dissertation at a BPS conference however, although that's more to do with the subject matter and not really feeling confident enough in my understanding of it all when it came to answering questions.

I DETEST PUBLIC SPEAKING!!!!

The fact that I have a stammer only makes it worse, I always start to panic and can almost feel the sweat pouring down my head.

So if you ever want me to give a speech at a public function I shall have to decline

I DETEST PUBLIC SPEAKING!!!!

The fact that I have a stammer only makes it worse, I always start to panic and can almost feel the sweat pouring down my head.

So if you ever want me to give a speech at a public function I shall have to decline

I get a stammer when I talk to people one-to-one (I had mild panic attacks when I worked at Subway and had to talk to customers) but on a stage I'm fine. It's weird.

I sort of love it if I know what I'm talking about. Being unprepared is bloody horrible however. I'm doing a presentation on the Iraq war on monday and I have to prepare it all tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

I don't get nervous talking in class at all, and in general public speaking is ok by me. Even with a history of stammering - you'd think that'd put me off.

Especially in smaller/class groups, ugh get over being nervous, you know everyone here, they aren't judging you. If it's for an important situation like an interview or something, I get nervousness about impressing people but...just casual stuff, it's whatever.

I hate when people don't say stuff when teachers ask too - I always rack/wrack my brain trying to think of something to say to break the silence.

I still remember a time when I was utterly helpless when speaking in public. I'd stutter and forget stuff, simply because I didn't like being the center of attention.

Those high school presentations really forced me to improve, though. When I got to college, and had to do a project as soon as I entered, I was surprised when most of the advice we were given was about the presentation, and they said really obvious stuff (speak loud, always look at your audience, avoid awkward pauses, don't go through the motions quickly, etc.), which didn't stop the dreadful presentations I've seen since (I was told I was one of the better speakers, something that would surprise my younger self).

It really should be something taught in middle and high school. It's something that can be improved, even if you insist it can't.

I'm pretty good with presentations, the only prerequisites have to be an interested audience. The worst shit ever though was in my final year when we were reading through Chaucer's Troilus and Criseyde as a class, and I had no fucking idea how to pronounce the Middle English words properly. It was hella embarrassing.

I've always been a bit of a natural when it came to speaking to crowds or performing on stage. In fact, I've always rather loved being the centre of attention, especially when I did well. :blush: An important factor has probably been my eloquence - always been good with words, I have. :heh:

(This post felt digustingly self-lauding.)

I sort of love it if I know what I'm talking about. Being unprepared is bloody horrible however. I'm doing a presentation on the Iraq war on monday and I have to prepare it all tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

It went well everyone! :heh:

It went well everyone! :heh:

Good for you, man.

I used to be a great public speaker, then I took an arrow to the knee.

Most people are terrible are public speaking. EVen politicians.

My biggest tip would be to not "ammmmm" and "ommm" when you're thinking mid-sentence. Instead a short silence is more effective. It takes a lot of practice I'm sure. Irish people are terrible at it.

Even when on the phone to someone, I say "erm..." when someone asks my name.

Good for you, man.

I used to be a great public speaker, then I took an arrow to the knee.

I used to be a man like you, but then I took an arrow to the penis.

Sign in to follow this