NEurope
Goafer

Professional Photographers (Thrip)

Personally, I would expect the photographer to be in a dress/tux and therefore would require good shows. You don't want them turning up in jeans/t-shirt/trainers.

Agreed, but I don't agree with the argument she was making was "Wedding season lasts four months. I wear out a pair of shoes in four months. Pay for my shoes"

I will confess, I've not seen many photographers at weddings, but I daresay they do not move as much in four months as to warrant a new pair of shoes every year.

Righty at 26 posts totally sidetracking the "Awesome Thread" I think a Thrip is fully needed for this topic

Righty at 26 posts totally sidetracking the "Awesome Thread" I think a Thrip is fully needed for this topic

*Starts a petition to get the word "thrip" banned*

I have this discussion all the time about my pricing for driving tuition.

A lot of people go with some cheapo who won't teach them much and normally they'll end up leaving and paying for a better instructor.

You get what you pay for in this world. Can you imagine going into Asda to buy a trifle - you see the smartprice one for ?1 and the extra special one for ?3.50. You go to the till and try to pay a pound for the extra special one? That's what I get all the time. I get people ringing up and trying to knock me down on price because another instructor charges less. I tell them to go and whistle.

As for the shoes argument - isn't she a woman? I assume heels wear out a lot quicker (where's Rokhed when you need him?) so am not surprised that she needs to buy new shoes every year, and of course they are a business expense.

What's going on here!?

...in what sense?

These posts were ripped out of another thread to make a new topic, since the Awesome Stuff Thread had gone significantly OT. Is that what you were asking?

I hate it when people complain about prices like this. It's like when my dad ran a takeaway and sometimes people complained about the price. It's like they think we conjured the food out of nowhere, not dependent on any COST PRICE.

Think it's expensive? Go eat somewhere else/hire a cheaper wedding photographer. Not my fault you can't afford it/are too cheap. LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS.

What the photographer charges is her business. If she wants to charge ridiculous prices, that's cool, her choice. It's her fault then if she goes out of business. But it is, imo, completely rude to go and complain about someone else's decisions about their business. The only time it's acceptable is when haggling, and even then you don't start ranting at the person. I have no doubt that the price could be lowered a bit if she cut some costs or whatever, but she didn't choose to.

Every industry is the same.

We can quote someone ?3000 for a great website and they can think they're being ripped off.

Then I can hear a client's previous web developers charged them ?14k to do half an hour's find-and-replace work on their website and they didn't bat an eyelid.

Then I get some clients who ring up, ask for a new page to be designed then act surprised when we suggest that they'll have to pay for it, like we're some kind of charity.

Of course there are some industries where the margin is too wide. Like diamonds, commercial pharmaceuticals or make-up. But in those instances, it's usually the consumers fault for not refusing to pay stupid prices.

They also wants to make plenty of money before some bright spark scientist works out how to rearrange carbon atoms.

Although at that point we'll probably be turning diamond into coal.

Hmm, I don't think she really needed to do a breakdown like that. Seemed a bit over the top. Maybe just listening the equipment and then giving rough ideas about hosting and how long it would take to touch up the pictures. Going into living expenses and all was a bit too much. A bit too "woe is me."

If she's making a decent living from something she loves, then well done. I don't really have a problem with people charging high prices, because if people are willing to pay for them, then what's the problem? It is a high price, but so is the overall cost of weddings in general, like @bob pointed out earlier. If the price really is off-putting, they could just shop around for a cheaper alternative.

I personally wouldn't care, since they're there to do a job, not look good. But I know I'm probably not in the majority and most people expect a photographer to look the part. I'll always wear a full suit and shoes to a wedding.

In a preemptive response to the inevitable reference to my suit/trainers combo at the works party: Fuck you, I looked awesome.

But you're staying until the reception right? You'd have to be a farmer not to be wearing a tuxedo after 6pm!

Anyway I'm one of those "cheap photographers with mates rates". I do it if someone asks but I emphasise that I'm not a professional and I don't do the printing (but do the photoshopping) so I'm essentially just charging for my working hours.

But yeah, shit be expensive yo!

I'm lovely and did it for my best friend for free.

But I am not a pro, but it made me appreciate just how much effort it takes to photograph a wedding. While trying to enjoy the day, I had to be carrying my camera with two lenses, and a tripod, all afternoon long (the wedding was outside in the forest/exbury gardens).

I took at least 600 photos, whittled that down to 200 which I edited on photoshop, which probably took 20 to 30 hours of my time.

Then I got them printed, some in various sizes, created a cover image, had to buy an album, decide which of the images were to go into the album, burn CDs, create CD covers, upload online so family abroad could see the images. While being a full time student, it was no easy task. But I don't think I did a bad job for my first try. Something I'd definitely like to do more of in the future.

So I totally understand why the price for a good wedding photographer is what it is.

...in what sense?

These posts were ripped out of another thread to make a new topic, since the Awesome Stuff Thread had gone significantly OT. Is that what you were asking?

I had no idea that was even possible....

back in my day etc etc.