NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Falcon

Music Acquisition Conundrum

Hey guys,

For one of my university modules, I'm making a game with some colleagues and if it's good enough, our aim is to stick it on XBLIG.

But none of us are muscians, some of us barely qualify as programmers, and I'm wondering where I can get hold of some music that we could make use of. The major hanging point here is of course Royalties. Obviously it would never be an issue if it didn't get that far but that's our aim (and I'm going to push for it since I'm in charge of the group) and so I'd prefer to get something useable now than have to worry about potentially changing the music later on due to "complications".

Where do you guys source your music from for your own projects and is there anything I specifically need to take into consideration? Do you by-pass the R word and if so, how beyond making your own/getting it from friends for free?

That's a good place to start, cheers. Just having a look now, there seems to be a lot of pieces on there which is good and he's pretty easy to satisfy since all he asks for is a credit. It's whether I can get a decent selection to make up an entire soundtrack - 100 great tracks aren't good for me if they don't fit together.

I'm not even totally sure what kind of music I'm after so I can't even narrow it down if you know places that cater towards a particular style.... though I'm leaning toward a slow, chilled, almost jazz-esque inspired sound right now.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Check out local unis with composition courses and see if students want to join in? Have a look around for people on http://soundcloud.com/ who may be willing to have it included in return for credit?

Check out local unis with composition courses and see if students want to join in? Have a look around for people on http://soundcloud.com/ who may be willing to have it included in return for credit?

My concern with asking other students to get involved is that unless it's for one of their modules, they won't give it much priority and come crunch time, we'll have nothing to work with.

One of the team members does live with two music production students (one used to be on the games course) so it's a possibility I've not discounted but not one I want to rely on if I can help it.

Well look around at the courses and see if they have something that, as far as you can tell, is fairly open in terms of coursework and see if they'll do it as their assessment?

Good luck with the search and the game dev by the way :)

Well look around at the courses and see if they have something that, as far as you can tell, is fairly open in terms of coursework and see if they'll do it as their assessment?

Good luck with the search and the game dev by the way :)

That's a good idea actually - I'll make some enquiries tomorrow.

As for the game, since it's in XNA, it will work on PCs as well as 360s so when it's done, I might host it somewhere for you to get hold off and you can let me know what you think if you have to time/can be bothered - you being in the business after all.

Sign in to follow this