NEurope
MoogleViper

Awesome stuff thread

Agnosticism is the idea that we can never know if there is a deity or not, so I'd say it's right the middle, neither one nor the other. And I guess that's the problem: I wouldn't call it non-religious, because in my head that term is pretty much synonymous with atheism. I recognise you can have beliefs that don't fit any of the established religions or spiritual belief systems, but it just sounds wrong in my head to call someone who entertains the idea of something "non-religious". I'm probably thinking too "mechanically" about it.

I wouldn't call it non-religious, because in my head that term is pretty much synonymous with atheism.

What if you believe in some form of greater power but don't agree with any of the religions?

Agnosticism is the idea that we can never know if there is a deity or not, so I'd say it's right the middle, neither one nor the other. And I guess that's the problem: I wouldn't call it non-religious, because in my head that term is pretty much synonymous with atheism. I recognise you can have beliefs that don't fit any of the established religions or spiritual belief systems, but it just sounds wrong in my head to call someone who entertains the idea of something "non-religious". I'm probably thinking too "mechanically" about it.

Atheism can mean what you're saying, I think of it as not believing in a god. It's most commonly used like that too. If you want to get very technical then it does mean believing there are no gods.

Righty...do I need to do a Thrip for a Religon thread or something?

Anyway back to "Awesome Stuff"

I had posted this in teh Athletics thread of the Olympics/Paralympics board but I think it is indeed awesome enough for a repost here.

Omar Hassan wins respect of crowd

Five Paralympic champions were crowned at the Olympic Stadium this morning, but the loudest cheer was for a 35-year-old from Djibouti who finished almost seven minutes adrift in his 1500m - T46 heat.

Houssein Omar Hassan finished the race to deafening cheers in last place, taking 11:23.50.

He had the track to himself as he jogged round his final two laps, receiving a huge ovation as he crossed the line.

The country's only competitor at the Games revealed afterwards that he had hurt his ankle at the start and thought about pulling out, but had been determined to finish.

I was actually watching that race live and found it very awesome to watch. I love to see athletes show some real never give up spirit that determination to just finish the race no matter what even if you know your not gonna come anywhere near a medal (or in this case a qualification spot). There's a lot of self pride and respect earned in pushing through the pain and completing the race especially when it is on such a stage as the Olympics or Paralympics. No matter the time he'll always be able to say he finished a Paralympic race which (in my eyes anyway...depends on if you like sport I guess) is an achievment in itself. Aswell as being his countries first ever and so far only Paralympian, so I guess that was even more reason for him to want to finish no matter the time.

Wish I had a video to post, can't find any on Youtube yet, I'm sure one will pop up sooner or later.

1425117_M01.jpg

Edited by Mokong

18 y.o. Laura Robson beating Kim Clijsters and Li Na back to back in women's tennis at the US Open seems pretty awesome to me, especially considering the way she did it. A new star is born? Well done, Laura, and good luck tomorrow evening against defending champion Sam Stosur. :)

What if you believe in some form of greater power but don't agree with any of the religions?

I know, I know, but then in my head you're still not "non-religious". I'm no expert on these things, so it probably is my definition that's off, but it's interesting to discuss nonetheless. A thrip is probably in order if the discussion continues.

I love to see athletes show some real never give up spirit that determination to just finish the race no matter what even if you know your not gonna come anywhere near a medal (or in this case a qualification spot). There's a lot of self pride and respect earned in pushing through the pain and completing the race

Well said, mate. :)

Make a new religion, it can't be stupider than Scientology.

Was I the only one hoping the lad at the bottom would get hit by one of the drums :heh:

EDIT

Just found these :D

This guy and his teammates are absolutely incredible:

The 30 year old Alabama native is missing two limbs, his left arm above the elbow and his leg above the knee. He would be the first ever Spartan Racer to parachute his way into the race but when he landed, in the open field in Leesburg, VA he wasn’t alone. A team was waiting, Team X-T.R.E.M.E., a group of incredible individuals that includes Sgt. Jonathan Mozingo, amputee of the left leg below the knee and United States Marine, Cpl. Todd Love, trimembral amputee of both legs above the knee and left arm below the elbow. In addition to the three wounded warrior athletes, the team had an additional five members including Team X-T.R.E.M.E. founder, Jeremy Soles who had a bagpiper usher them over to the start line for their heat.

todd11.jpg

http://http://blog.spartanrace.com/team-x-t-r-e-m-e-heroes-heat-heroic-finish/

I just can't even, he's awesome, his teammates are awesome.

Awesome teppanyaki place, the chefs kept making jokes and did really entertaining things. Would've filmed the rest but I decided to enjoy it instead :)

My first attempt at using Premiere Pro CS6... :s

Very educational. Hitting alien with stick = no workies.

Neither does throwing the rock at it.

Had this for dinner yesterday

pulledpork.jpg

"BBQ Pulled Pork" Burger....it was lovely :D