NEurope
Retro_Link

Assassin's Creed III

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/01/28/rumor-assassins-creed-iii-set-during-the-american-revolution/

Rumor: Assassin's Creed III Set During the American Revolution

assassins_creed_3.jpg

The next Assassin's Creed game might be headed to American soil, according to a new, unconfirmed report from CVG. It pegs the forthcoming Assassin's Creed III — or whatever Ubisoft will call this year's planned installment — as set during the American Revolution.

CVG cites "a source close to the project" who reportedly also reveals that the next major Assassin's Creed will be unveiled by March 31.

Ubisoft has said the follow-up to Assassin's Creed: Revelations will be "the biggest to date" and that Assassin's Creed III would feature a "new setting, [and] new hero."

The publisher-developer has solicited user feedback on the future direction of the series, according to an alleged marketing research survey. One of the possible locations and time periods under consideration was "the confrontation between British colonists and native Americans during the American Revolution of the XVIII century."

According to Assassin's Creed canon, American Revolution commander-in-chief George Washington was one of the many owners of a Piece of Eden, having possessed an Apple of Eden in 1781.

I think if I were in to the series, I'd be dissapointed if this turned out to be true. The series jumping to America when the likes of London (which would be epic) or maybe Paris haven't been included yet.

Oh man

I was hoping for Paris or London myself, it is a little shamefull to be basing a new one (probably anyway) in America. Oh well.

I was told about this maybe last month. Was highly unimpressed but apparently it looks mint. If I'm totally honest I think I'm done with Assassin's Creed.

It seems like an odd choice. That period just doesn't have the image (in terms of media, I actually have little knowledge outside films about the subject) of the kind of cities needed for Assassin's Creed. Then again, Ubisoft don't exactly have to advertise the games any more.

Wonder if Ubi do another trilogy, here is hoping they don't.

They don't have time. Assassin's Creed 3 needs to finish Desmond's story - and it has to be done for the 21st December 2012.

Not really a setting that springs to mind when thinking of scalable landmarks and multi-tiered cities. What are we going to climb, trees?

I say that facetiously, but maybe they do intend to make the traversal less urban and more rural. I foresee a lot of Red Dead-inspired horse riding. And inexplicable, wagon-based turret sections.

They hinted to this in the Da Vinci DLC. I'm fine with the setting, I think it's an interesting period, but like others I'm worried about climbable buildings and big cities. I'll buy it anyway though.

Pardon my ignorance, but were there many big American cities around that time? Or is our hero going to be running round 3 houses and a cowshed?

There were American cities in the 1700s. Manhattan was practically burned to the ground during the revolution, for example. They weren't the skyscraper cities we know of today obviously, and they also weren't as tightly knit as the European cities we've been clambering around for the last 4 games, but I still think they could be made to work.

To be honest this series needs a big shift in gears. If that means flattening the landscape a little, I'll still certainly give it a try. All the previous games' locations have blended together for me, I didn't really feel any difference between Jerusalem and Constantinople.

Also this game needs to bring back Assassinations! Revelations all but lost the entire formula of the series; finding a target, learning about them, following them and finishing them in the quietest way possible.

It seems like an odd choice. That period just doesn't have the image (in terms of media, I actually have little knowledge outside films about the subject) of the kind of cities needed for Assassin's Creed. Then again, Ubisoft don't exactly have to advertise the games any more.

They don't have time. Assassin's Creed 3 needs to finish Desmond's story - and it has to be done for the 21st December 2012.

Out of all the reactions I've read this is what rings true most to me. It doesn't unless this Assassin's creed is going to be a hugely radical departure which after 3 games in 3 (?) years in arguably needs.

Ubi could do it, release one in 4 weeks and again every 3 months. Quality will be shocking, but they could do it.

And @Ramar, i would dislike climing barns and hay all the time as well.

Ubi could do it, release one in 4 weeks and again every 3 months. Quality will be shocking, but they would do it.

Fixed for you.

Fixed for you.

Thanks, they would definetly do it. Basing it on Ezio at the age of 200+ probably. Climbing towers using a stana stairlift.

Could be good. I actually like the idea that we could be seeing less rooftop action, taking to the skyline has been the easy and convenient way out in the past few AC games. Making the skyline less useful will change the game dramatically and (hopefully) force the player to make use of blending (and other avoidance tactics) more.

Gutted that it's not London, Paris or some other important 18th/19th Century European city though.

Totally hate the idea of the American revolution. I get so tired with the lack of imagination that leads to people re-using the same historical events again and again. Give me something I don't know about, or that is rarely talked about anymore! That's what the AC series has been quite good at until now.

And also there is a major possibility of the following:

American Revolution + Templars = National Treasure

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/02/15/assassins-creed-iii-coming-october-30-called-biggest-launch-in-ubisoft-history/

Assassin's Creed III Coming October 30

Called "Biggest Launch in Ubisoft History"

Ubisoft will release the next chapter in the Assassin's Creed saga on October 30, 2012, less than a year after the previous entry, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, shipped on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. While details on Assassin's Creed III are scant, Ubisoft says the sequel will be "the biggest launch" in the publisher's history.

It really has just become Ubisofts COD.

Yeah but tbf none of those franchises have seen a release for a couple of years, and Rayman has only just emerged again after an age.

Rayman Origins, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia say hi!

Indeed, but as Retro mentioned, none of these get release year on year. Last Prince of Persia was in 2010, whilst Assassins Creed has seen a year on year release since II back in 2009.

It does seem Ubi are beginning (they are anyway), to milk this franchise. They should make III and don't release another until way into 2014.

I finished Assassins Creed: Revelations last night.

Unless they make some massive changes...I think I may just watch a walkthrough video. I absolutely hated the majority of the gameplay - by far the best part ware the ending segment (from leaving the cave place) and the ending cut-scenes. The main location was uninteresting (although I did like the cave place), the combat was incredibly annoying, the way guards detected you seemed random and had no rating to your animosity gauge, the missions were bland and way too many times I was desynced for reasons beyond my understanding, the whole storyline regarding Istanbul seemed vastly unimportant, Ezio seemed to constantly jump at the wrong things (a few times he jumped in vastly different directions to what I was pointing because Ezio seemed to prefer another spot), speaking of that - the invisible paths that Ezio seems to "attach" himself to seemed much more noticeable than all the previous games. Lastly, some of the best parts of the previous games, the big platforming sections, were frankly rubbish. In the previous two games you had to look around your surroundings and work out where to go. It felt like you were exploring. In this, the camera points to where you need to go and you essentially hold forward, run and jump. Plus, every single time it you do those long hook jumps it seemed to have a big pop up reminding you that you can press B to do a long jump. Oh, and the noise of the hookblade...terrible. And another thing - stuff added in the previous games (viewpoints, buying properties, templar dens, hiring assassins, sending assassins on missions and various stuff like that) seemed to be there for the sake of it and have no purpose other than achievements.

I really like the franchise, and I thought Assassins Creed 2 was great and Brotherhood was amazing...but I absolutely hated Revelations.

Hopefully Assassin's Creed 3 will find a better balance, more like 2 and Brotherhood.

Further Rumours

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/02/29/this-looks-like-assassins-creed-iiis-native-american-hero/

It appears that rumors of Assassin's Creed III taking place during the American Revolution and focusing on "the confrontation between British colonists and native Americans" may have been spot on–that is, if new character art rumored to reveal the new hero of Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed series is accurate.

One thing's for sure. It's cool as hell.

Kotaku reports that it received an early look at Assassin's Creed III promotional art from a Best Buy employee news resource. Set against a snowy backdrop is what appears to be our hero wearing assassin gear mixed with traditional Native American cues. He's armed with a bow and arrow, a pistol and a tomahawk that's shaped like the Assassin's Creed logo. He's even got another pistol and a saber as back-up.

Ubisoft said earlier this month that the next Assassin's Creed game is due on October 30. It will feature an all-new hero and a new setting. The company will officially unveil the game in March.

We've contacted Ubisoft to verify the image's authenticity, but it sure looks authentic from here. The full thing, tomahawk and all, is over at Kotaku.

original.jpg

That looks stupid.
Yeah that's what I thought.

Also it looks like they're trying to get the logo in everywhere... belt buckle, tomahawk... [dodgy] beard?