NEurope
gaggle64

Aliens: Colonial Marines

If the Wii U screen ISN'T just a giant motion tracker I'm going to be disappointed! Perfect! And now it's been delayed I won't be tempted to get it early on the PS3 now!

Motion tracker on the Wii U screen will look really cool!

Though they'd better remove it from the version on your TV, cause having two appearing would feel lazy and cheap.

I copied this thread across from the Wii U boards as there isn't one for the game here as far as I can see... but could a Other Consoles Mod @Dan Dare @McPhee @Domstercool change the thread title for me please, I forgot to do so before I copied it across and I'm powerless in this realm! :p

No wonder nothing's happening, these guys haven't been active for 4-5 months. Some mods... >_>

@Dan_Dare: Last activity 09-08-2012 04:18 PM

@McPhee: Last activity 22-09-2012 07:47 PM

Someone with teh powah, CHANGE THE DAMN TITLE!

Anyway, anyone looking forward to this one? I just noticed it's by Gearbox, and also features 4-player co-op (surprise, surprise). Seems my PC could handle this just like BL2, so definitely a bit interested. Only thing is the price, haven't bought a full-price game for some time now...

This game has completely missed the boat. By about 13 months or so. It's taken too fucking long to get released. I'm annoyed by the whole thing.

Year, maybe someone should elect new mods.

Definitely. @Ashley @Shorty

This game has completely missed the boat. By about 13 months or so. It's taken too fucking long to get released. I'm annoyed by the whole thing.

Yeah, I didn't know this game was so old, just saw an ad on Steam yesterday : o Anyway, pretty weird that there are no reviews out yet, I mean the launch is on Tuesday...

Someone tell me what to change the title to, and someone else tell me why it's such a big deal.

Jezz Shorty all you had to do was remove the "[Wii U]" from it :wink:

Year, maybe someone should elect new mods.

Definitely. @Ashley @Shorty

Really.... I guess I'm not doing anything here then am I? :angry:

:p

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

I was going by the Other Console mod list on the boards. If Dan and McPhee haven't been around for almost half a year though, might as well get some cover, especially with new consoles about to make this board go into turbo mode.

OK had hoped the issue wouldn't come up, but since it has, the mod situation is being worked on and will be sorted in the next few days so no need for anyone to be wondering/questioning/posting about it anymore. Deal?....Yes?....Cool!

Now get back on topic please :)

Really.... I guess I'm not doing anything here then am I? :angry:

:p

Haha, sorry Mokong, didn't realise you were a red person too : D Getting all these colours mixed up...anyway, title fixed, thanks!

OK had hoped the issue wouldn't come up, but since it has, the mod situation is being worked on and will be sorted in the next few days so no need for anyone to be wondering/questioning/posting about it anymore. Deal?....Yes?....Cool!

Sí sí, just noticed their absence by chance. You guys sort it out the best you can.

Oh yeah, wasn't a complaint. Everything's been running pretty smoothly, just noticed a couple things every now and again but I'm an ex-proofreader with sporadic OCD who spends more than half of my work day on here.

Aaaannnyway, when is this game out? I really wish they'd just copied Dead Space almost exactly and done a survival horror.

I've been playing it today, my copy arrived from a new site I tried. Aside from the second mission I've been enjoying the hell out of it. I've just got to the fith mission, the fourth has been my fave so far.

It does have its issue such as screen tearing and some odd characte animations but right now nothing is screaming shit like most of the internet seems to be saying after watching a couple of videos.

The multiplayer is great btw. I'm rocking a Hudson skin, aww yeh.

Aaaannnyway, when is this game out? I really wish they'd just copied Dead Space almost exactly and done a survival horror.

Feb 12th 2013, i.e. next Tuesday. Aliens games have usually been ones that make you shit your pants, so not expecting anything else from this one either. In any case, the gameplay is described as a mix of gauntlet runs and area defending, which sounds a bit...basic. Really need to see the reviews first, could be good or bad...

@bryanee So how is the gameplay? Tube running or something more extensive?

You've got your basic corridor shooting stuff with Aliens coming out of the god damn walls and vents, also other marine enemies to tackle. Also like you said you've got the defend an area type gameplay but I've only just got off the ship so really what else are you going to do on a spaceship? Now that I'm on land I've had some objectives to do such as setting up sensors and shit.

To be honest I'm not sure how far into it I am. I'm just starting the fith mission.

I've spent some time with the multiplayer aswell. There is a great mode which is kind of like L4D, 4 marines vs 4 Aliens. As the marines you have to make your way through levels completing objectives whilst the other human Alien characters try to kill you.

Team deathmatch says it all really. Marines vs Aliens in a battle to the death, there seem to be bigger stronger Aliens you can unlock as you play a game much like a perk. I had a smart gun shooting the shit out of some aliens when out of fucking nowhere a big alien just comes out of nowhere and knocks me flying.

There are other modes but I havent tried them yet.

I got my copy from here for £29.99, came the day after they shipped aswell.

http://2game.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=aliens

@bryanee Thanks for the impressions man. Checking the reviews on Steam, and there seems to be quite a lot of whining about this and that. Still, judging from the IGN live stream, looks quite fun...

I got my copy from here for £29.99, came the day after they shipped aswell.

http://2game.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=aliens

Wuuut, how come it's that cheap there? PC version is £19.99, on Steam it's 49€ : o

The boxed PC games are generally cheaper than digital ones.

How come? You'd think it would be the other way around...

@bryanee Thanks for the impressions man. Checking the reviews on Steam, and there seems to be quite a lot of whining about this and that. Still, judging from the IGN live stream, looks quite fun...

It is fun, I dont know why its getting so much hate at the moment. Maybe peoples expectations were to high or something. It is rough around the edges, it has some visual and animation issues and the combat doesnt hit all the high notes it should but all of that is fine and combined with the good atmosphere, setting, sound effects and fan service provide a fun experience.

Maybe lower expectations and wait for a price drop if concerned about the games quality.

Mission 5 was a blast, very atmospheric. Mission 2 was a low point but its been getting better as the game goes on. Also increase the difficulty a couple of notches if you get it.

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Early review scores appear online

Published scores:

• Games TM - 4/10: "Mechanically, the game functions, but the fun of the Aliens universe is quickly drained away by what amounts to a mundane shooting gallery through a drab and lifeless world."
  • PS3gen.fr - 5/10: (Translated) "We expected a lot from this project. And unfortunately, our disappointment was all the greater."
  • ITNewsAfrica - 7.9: (Pulled)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390431/aliens-colonial-marines-early-review-scores-appear-online/

Colour me unsurprised.

Metacritic 47/100, user score 4.2/10 : D Pretty dreadful. Oh well, bought it still, has been a while since I've gotten a genuinely shit game...