NEurope
dan-likes-trees

Lana Del Ray

The album is out today

lana-del-rey-born-to-die-608x6081.jpg

Can't figure out where she stands. Is it cool to like her? Is she a bit Adele?

In any case, the album is fantastic, from first listen. Wanky lyrics but she has quite the voice, and the general feel of the album is pretty great...

Also: What's with n-europe lite? Can't figure out how to do anything at the moment. not the right place to ask but I can't find anything on board news.

She looks bored and her music (the extent of my knowledge does not extend beyond the one YouTube video my friend sent me yonks ago) is boring. Therefore I do not understand why she is apparently so popular and praised. Maybe I listened to the wrong song? The album cover looks like hipster fodder.

I bet it turns out that everyone on N-E is a fan and I will be slayed for this post :(

She is starting to annoy me more and more. I kinda liked the song Videogames at first, until people kept playing it left and right. And then her face started appearing everywhere and it just made me feel like ripping off her fake lips, urgh. =P

Also her live singing isn't very good...

Only heard one other song I think and at the moment I can't say I'm a fan at all. Feels like a hyped up singer that's being pushed on us by the music industry or something.

Video Games, that's the song my friend sent me! Wow! She is completely colourless (almost literally) and her voice doesn't stand out at all :|

Only heard one other song I think and at the moment I can't say I'm a fan at all. Feels like a hyped up singer that's being pushed on us by the music industry or something.

That's kind of how I feel about her.

I didn't like video games, but I'm really liking Born to Die.

Don't think I'll be buying her album or anything. I also don't think I like her. Not entirely sure why, possibly because she always looks bored. If an artist isn't entertained by their music, how can they expect me to be?

Oh my word.

This is like slander of the highest order.

To me Lana Del Rey is the most exciting artist around at the moment - and she excites me for the very reason you all think she is boring.

She is effortlessly cool, oozes attitude but in a way that compliments her image / musical offerings and I think she was bang on when she said her style was 'gangsta Nancy Sinatra' :laughing:

A bold claim but one I think she's so far more than lived up to with the 3 songs she has publicly debuted.

Born To Die is my most played song for a good while and it's refreshing to listen to something that catches you by being emotional, and not 'catchy' if you get my drift. It isn't throw away pop, it's deep (to me) and her delivery is what makes it. If it bores you, then it's clearly not for you.

Although if you want catchy:

I have the album on pre-order - it's out over here on Monday but it has unfortunately leaked so I have heard all of the tracks. I think it is a fantastic debut album.

Don't get me wrong though - she isn't breaking any boundaries with the content - it's all very much been heard before. But what makes it different for me is again, how she conveys the message. Her moody, 'bored' style suits the subject matter of the majority of the songs I've heard and that in itself is where I find her exciting.

Boring? No chance.

She is so damn freaking cool.

I absolutely fucking hate that video game song. Its like....my least favourite song of last year. It makes me want to kill myself.

The media slamming her for being "fake" are pathetic. She has talent, and the album has such a cohesive sound to it.

She can sing live, very well - contrary to her SNL performance which is far less of a trainwreck that people appear to make out.

But Radio, National Anthem, Summertime Sadness, Million Dollar Man, Carmen (though it's wrongly placed on the track list) and the titular track are all stunning. I'm still adamant Video Games will be one of those songs considered a classic in years to come.

National Anthem (Tiniest bit sped up so it's not removed)

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Not bad, don't really have that much of an opinion of her.

She's hot, though.

Have to agree that I absolutely hated Video Games.

Haven't really heard enough of her to form an opinion, but based off of Video Games and Born To Die, I don't really like her voice.

EDIT:

Though just listening to Off To The Races... and I prefer it to the other two.

I'm interested and will buy the album. I LIKED all the officially released songs so far. Not loved. My favourite is by far Off To The Races, which I found bizarre (that opening! It just tosses you in) but then realised it was amazing.

I'm not sure about all the 'most exciting artist' and other similar phrases being thrown around the net, she certainly isn't. She has little to no prescence or charisma on stage and her sound isn't that unique or anything.

Heard mixed things about the album, but will pick up my copy in a few days.

I've listened to a few songs on her album/the first 7 or so. And i really like it.

I fucking love born to die, it's brilliant.

I HATE that Video Games song. I didn't know who it was by though! Worst song ever! I thought Stupid Hoes was the most irritating song but yeah, this totally takes the trophy!

Song apart though, I don't really find her exciting or anything at all. Not my cup of tea at all but yeah, she's good-looking.

heard a few songs and I love her voice!

Need to give the album a proper listen

I actually take back what I said before, I think she's great. Video Games still grates on me but hearing her live version, it's 100x better. Great album and Born To Die and Million Dollar Man is my favourites. Without You is one as well. I prefer her live over studio though.

I still love this album. Have been listening to it every day virtually ha.

It's so good.

I totally agree. She's just so cool.

People say she has no personality? Her music oozes personality and class.

I love her.

I totally agree. She's just so cool.

People say she has no personality? Her music oozes personality and class.

I love her.

I would like to kiss you MadDog. :hug:

Lana lovers rule!!

And I totally agree. She is on a whole other level of cool. I love that she won a Brit too.

My favourite song off the album is probably Off To The Races.

But I honestly love them all. Also really like Diet Mountain Dew.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

My Favourite song: Dark Paradise

One of the worst songs I've heard all year: National Anthem.

She has her ups and downs but overall I enjoy her output as an artist. :)

Hmm, interesting, i like National Anthem.

Lucky Ones is brilliant. So dramatic and beautiful. Excellent way to finish off an amazing album. :)

I've only really been listening to Born to Die. I enjoy that one a lot. It's really pleasant to listen to. I should give the album a listen.

She seems worth it.