NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
-Dem0-

Super Mario 2D (3DS)

Iwata has announced a NEW 2D Mario game for the 3DS. Here's what Iwata has said:

Although there is no logo here, we are planning to release a totally new side-scrolling action Super Mario in 2D as a key title for the Nintendo 3DS in the next fiscal year.

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120127/03.html

Last paragraph page 3.

Edited by -Dem0-

That's surprising. Although I guess it's either this or let 2D Mario games die forever from here on.

I didn't expect that at all, considering they've done NSMB twice! and they've made SM3DL (with all the classic mario influences) I thought that the next mario title for the 3DS should be a brand new all-out adventure!

Hmm... not sure what to think. I genuinely think Mario 3D Land is the best mixture of the two, 2D Mario might seem like a backward step. But I hope it's not New Super Mario Bros 3... it'd be nice if the levels had a lot more depth, like in DKCountryReturns.

I'd love to see a cell-shaded Yoshi's Island 3 (or 4 if you count Yoshi's Story) though...

Hmm... not sure what to think. I genuinely think Mario 3D Land is the best mixture of the two, 2D Mario might seem like a backward step. But I hope it's not New Super Mario Bros 3... it'd be nice if the levels had a lot more depth, like in DKCountryReturns.

I'd love to see a cell-shaded Yoshi's Island 3 (or 4 if you count Yoshi's Story) though...

I've have a very strong feeling that Good-Feel might give this franchise their special treatment.

They seem to be building up a record of revamping sidescrollers with their special sauce poured royally over it.

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension and Kirby's Epic Yarn are their latest projects, and what definitely fits amongst those titles is a Yoshi's Island game.

The fact that they've not referred to it as a new "New Super Mario Bros" game tells me that it's gonna be something different.

I hope it's hand drawn 2D or 2D sprites presented in S3D ALA Mighty Switch Force! (The handdrawn cutaways in SM3DL are such a cock tease! :bouncy:)

Another 2D Mario game (3D Land felt the same as a 2D Mario)?

Can we have some of your other franchises instead, please? F-Zero, Zelda, Star Fox, Metroic, etc.

Unless they plan on announcing all those pretty soon.

Another 2D Mario game (3D Land felt the same as a 2D Mario)?

Can we have some of your other franchises instead, please? F-Zero, Zelda, Star Fox, Metroic, etc.

Unless they plan on announcing all those pretty soon.

As much as I agree, Nintendo does also need to think of profits as, unlike Sony and MS, they don't have other departments to pick up the slack.

As such, there's one thing. Mario games sell ridiculous amounts, the rest do not so, to calm the investors who are panicking due to the losses, they have to do this.

As much as I'd prefer a 2D Metroid and don't know why Mario is so much more popular than their other franchises, these have been hard times for Nintendo and it's understandable they are falling back on their sure-fire hit.

Personally, I'd like a true, sprite-based 2D game, as I don't think there's ever been a Mario better than Super Mario World (at least not a side-scrolling one). There's never really been a bad Mario either, but none of them seemed like they were trying to surpass the SNES outing. They were trying to do other things (like go into 3D), which they did very well, but it'd be nice to have something as good as Super Mario World, with its sprites, cheerful music, branching, multi-pathed map (very important!), Castles, "Switch Palaces" and Fortresses too.

Super Mario 3D Land was good but I thought the best bits were the into-the-screen sections. The left-right movement wasn't so good, as I often accidentally nudged the Slide Pad slightly the wrong way. Side-scrollers are better locked to an 8-way D-pad. Of course I want to see the 3D series continue as well (with dual analogue), but I hate to say it - they are strictly hardcore, whereas the 2D and 2.5D ones are much more accessible.

I think it's highly likely that this will be the first Mario game to support DLC what with Nintendo soon to be 're-launching' their online with the 'Nintendo Network' branding this could be the perfect first-party title to trial-run the concept of DLC stages long before the Wii U - or whatever it will be renamed as - so it could act as a decent indication of how popular it might be.

I think it's highly likely that this will be the first Mario game to support DLC what with Nintendo soon to be 're-launching' their online with the 'Nintendo Network' branding this could be the perfect first-party title to trial-run the concept of DLC stages long before the Wii U - or whatever it will be renamed as - so it could act as a decent indication of how popular it might be.
;)

http://www.n-europeforums.com/showthread.php?t=33641

Iwata states that the next Super Mario title may support DLC via Nintendo Network.

Nintendo fans have longed for the day that Nintendo brace DLC and it seems that this day may finally be upon us.

Iwata recently stated that a future Super Mario title would be able to support DLC which would not only give Nintendo more profits but also lengthen the lifespan and popularity of the title.

When you look at sales of Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros. you do wonder how on earth Nintendo could possibly squeeze more juice out of such titles as even years after release they're clinging onto the charts.

Iwata believes that with new downloadable content, such titles could have an even greater return and even longer lifespan.

"The idea of supplying new stages to Super Mario users who want to play the game more but have completed the game and lost interest in the existing stages... This will not only give us new profits but will lengthen the life of a product, in that it will never be out of fashion and can keep attracting public attention as long as many people play it."

Remember though, Iwata is simply stating that it could happen and hasn't yet outright confirmed it for any particular title.

I have read the above article, I was just posting my thoughts on it as the more you think about it, the more it makes perfect sense for Nintendo to have DLC for certain games. :)

"The news that Nintendo recently purchased a Mario related web domain is not always interesting, especially as big companies often buy web addresses just to prevent others using them. When we saw that supermario4.com was a recent acquisition for Nintendo, however, we were definitely intrigued."

"Do you think it could be related to the already announced 3DS Super Mario game?"

Who knows but it's quite interesting to think about it, I mean this could very well be ninty stopping others from using the name, however this could be linked to the NEW 2D Mario for 3DS.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/04/nintendo_buys_supermario4com_web_domain

Sounds encouraging, apart from the fact Super Mario World was officially Super Mario IV. If it's as good as that though, I won't complain about the numbers!

Maybe it's a reference to being the fourth NEW Super Mario Bros. game after the original, Wii and Wii U.

Super Mario 2D Land? :heh:

Here's hoping for something different. Mario games are fairly uninteresting for me unless we're talking about his 3D games.

Super Mario 2D Land? :heh:

Here's hoping for something different. Mario games are fairly uninteresting for me unless we're talking about his 3D games.

Bring back the submarine/plane from the original Super Mario Land :wink: That'd certainly be different (and I think it'd actually look pretty cool on the 3DS' screen)

Yeah, I'd like to see one of them quirky Mario adventures like Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and Super Mario Land for the Game Boy.

One could dub them the 'Majora's Masks' under the Mario games :laughing:

*Classic Comic Required*

2011-06-13-341-SMLIsWeird.jpg

Now that I think of it, that kingdom suits psycho-bitch Daisy PERFECTLY!

Edited by Fused King

Super Mario 4 sounds very plausible, especially with reports of it being a 2D game. I just hope they ditch the fugly 'New SMB' art style, which I assume they are/will.

I just hope they ditch the fugly 'New SMB' art style

Yes, please! I hate the art style. It just doesn't fit to a 2D Mario platformer...

Sign in to follow this