NEurope
Retro_Link

Project CARS

I'm surprised the Wii U version hasn't been cancelled yet. If released, this will go the same way as Watch_Dogs.

I don't know. I briefly became interested in Watchdogs, then it released and most people I spoke to were fairly disappointed in the end product.

If this releases and people are happy with the end product I will grab it - so if it does release late for the wii U it does need to be a solid racing game.

If it's crap, sure, sales will be disappointing even for a Wii U game.

* Project CARS * Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile * 250cc Superkart * Build 974 *

Even with the sacrifices that'll undoubtedly be made, it's still a genre of game that the WiiU desperately needs. Racing sim fans who only own a WiiU should still be pleased(ish).

Even with the sacrifices that'll undoubtedly be made, it's still a genre of game that the WiiU desperately needs. Racing sim fans who only own a WiiU should still be pleased(ish).

No doubt. As long as it runs well then Wii U owners should be picking it up.

I would say they cant leave it too long though. September max

Bandai Namco and Slightly Mad Studios have shared a complete track listing for Project CARS. The racer has 30 unique locations and over 110 different courses.

Here’s the listing in full:

Nurburgring 1 – Germany (4 layouts)

Nurburgring 2 – Germany (4 layouts)

Zhuhai International Circuit – China

Chesterfield – UK

Cadwell Park – UK (3 layouts)

Greenwood – Republic of Ireland

Sakitto – Japan (4 layouts)

Summerton – UK

Spa – Belgium

Sonoma Raceway – USA (3 layouts)

Brno Circuit – Czech Republic

Willow Springs – USA (2 layouts)

Le Mans – France (2 layouts)

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca – USA

Donnington – UK (2 layouts)

Snetterton – UK (3 layouts)

Azure Coast – France (5 layouts)

Azure Circuit – France

California Highway – USA (5 layouts)

Glencairn – UK (6 layouts)

Mount Panorama – Australia

Oulton Park – UK

Road America – USA

Watkins Glen – USA (2 layouts)

Brands Hatch – UK (2 layouts)

Dubai Autodrome – UAE (5 layouts)

Hockenheim Ring – Germany (3 layouts)

Imola – Italy

Monza – Italy (2 layouts)

Motorsport Arena – Germany

Silverstone – UK (4 layouts)

Circuit Zolder – Belgium

I just think that Nintendo shouldn't release anything around the time this game comes out, because if they do release something big (like Starfox, or Zelda - I know they won't release that but just something of that magnitude) I think that Nintendo fans (including me) will first go for the Nintendo title, which will decrease the sales of third party games and if it's a game which can be played for a long time it could make people forget about some games (like Project CARS - OK, they don't have proper racing games, so CARS has an advantage).

I honestly think that the big number of very good Nintendo exclusives is sometimes a problem for third party games (for their sales).

I just think that Nintendo shouldn't release anything around the time this game comes out, because if they do release something big (like Starfox, or Zelda - I know they won't release that but just something of that magnitude) I think that Nintendo fans (including me) will first go for the Nintendo title, which will decrease the sales of third party games and if it's a game which can be played for a long time it could make people forget about some games (like Project CARS - OK, they don't have proper racing games, so CARS has an advantage).

I honestly think that the big number of very good Nintendo exclusives is sometimes a problem for third party games (for their sales).

Surely that could be avoided with some simple communication between both parties to find a good window.

Surely that could be avoided with some simple communication between both parties to find a good window.

Of course, it's not hard, I just hope that they don't make the mistake of launching something at the same time, not even a DS title.

Releasing a Wii U game around that time might not necessarily be a bad thing though...

If there's a buzz about the console in general, it might encourage people to look at other things coming to the Wii U around that time!

Releasing it in a dead period is problematic because it would basically be all on its own, where people just aren't interested in looking at anything Wii U related. There's also a good chance that a large chunk of Wii U owners also own another console, so if there's nothing significant coming out around that time, they're not gonna be paying attention to anything Wii U related...

Ideally (outside of a simultaneous release with the other versions) what they would do is release it during a period in which there are a decent number of lower profile games coming out on Wii U and where nothing similar is coming out on other consoles - and really, it should be at a lower price than the current RRP because it is going to be released long after the other versions and it's gonna have to compete with cheaper versions elsewhere...

90's racer, Project Cars, Fast racing neo, who knows maybe even 90's racer. Almost makes me expect Nintendo to announce F-Zero for a summer release this year.

Project CARS Studio Boss Admits to Problems With Wii U Version, Hoping For Nintendo Hardware Announcement at E3

"At the moment we're running at about 23FPS on the Wii U"

Project CARS is out now on PC, PS4 and Xbox One, performing well in early sales indicators. It was a project that suffered its share of delays, and the Wii U version was pushed back the most and given a loose '2015' window. Developer Slightly Mad Studios and publisher Bandai Namco have been largely quiet or vague about progress on the Wii U version in recent times, too.

Unfortunately, it does seem that the Wii U iteration is struggling in development. Over the past weekend studio boss Ian Bell answered queries about the Nintendo version on the game's forum, and the news was far from positive.

OK I'll come clean. At the moment we're running at about 23FPS [at 720p] on the WiiU.

We're awaiting/hoping for more of a hardware announcement at E3...

...Honestly, unless we really cut the looks back I think we're looking to Nintendo's next console.

...I suppose if they don't announce something at E3 or soon after we will have a go at it.

It was pointed out to Bell that Nintendo's stated there'll be no 'NX' hardware announcement at E3, and he clarified further.

...We could reach a fairly solid 30FPS [on Wii U] but it might take a hell of a lot of work. On the other hand, about halfway through us finishing, Nintendo might announce a new console (I have zero knowledge on this BTW but I've heard 'rumours'). Our work might just be the best thing that ever hit that new console in the driving sim genre.

So we're playing a waiting game at the moment and yes, economics do come in to it.

With versions of the game on systems such as Xbox One having some dips in framerate, it's perhaps no surprise that the development team is having issues with the Wii U. These comments do, however, cast doubt on a 2015 release window on the Nintendo system, as the tone here suggests that development is still at an early stage.

While this honesty is admirable, we should also point out that, if that is the state of play, there's clearly been some over-optimistic comments from the studio in the past - par for the course, perhaps, but still telling. Slightly Mad's Andy Tudor said the following last year.

So when we say the Wii U version is delayed in 2015 because we need a little more time, that's all it is. We just want to make sure it's of the same standard of all the other games. To do that, we just need a little more time. I've seen the Wii U version, I've seen it quite regularly. It's got dynamic time of day, weather - it looks phenomenal. And the actual console itself is quite good.

Assuming Nintendo's repeated insistence on a lack of hardware announcements at E3 trumps the cited 'rumours' that Ian Bell has heard, it seems there's some doubt about Project CARS on Wii U.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/05/project_cars_studio_boss_admits_to_problems_with_wii_u_version_hoping_for_nintendo_hardware_announcement_at_e3

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?27584-Project-Cars-Sales-figures&p=940298&viewfull=1#post940298

https://mobile.twitter.com/Phazon4G/status/602764309316374529

Well that's not good. We've never seen a single Wii U screenshot or video clip.

Edited by Wii

Definitely not good. Though I hear the versions that are out are quite buggy. A work colleague has the X-Box version as says that the controls are terrible when using a controller and that the framerate takes a huge hit on a few courses when there are a number of vehicles on track. He mention the Monaco circuit in particular.

i really do want to see this on the Wii U, it's just what the console needs in a true racer. Moving to to the next home console is silly as there will no doubt be a second iteration of the game by then.

Not good but at least they're being upfront and honest about it now - I kind of admire that but at the same time this isn't a game I'm vested in so maybe that's why I'm not more bothered by it. What sort of setup do they have for distribution and people invested in the game? Like was it kickstarter-esque and people have opted for Wii U versions over others? Hopefully they'll offer switches and potential refunds to those customers if so. It's a shame that they have to struggle with a vision they're clearly trying to get behind though.

So basically, they could get it running at 30FPS but don't want to bother with optimising it because they don't feel that the potential return on Wii U is worth the effort.

So yeah, this is so getting cancelled. They'll just use these new hardware "rumours" as an excuse to put off working on Wii U and then just quietly let it die off.

Can't blame them really. It has pretty much no hope of success at this point anyway. Feel sorry for anyone who kickstarted it hoping that it would come to Wii U though...

So basically, they could get it running at 30FPS but don't want to bother with optimising it because they don't feel that the potential return on Wii U is worth the effort.

I don't think it's the devs being lazy. But, it sounds like they went into it trying to get the same look on the WiiU as the PC, PS4 and One and have just realised that it's not possible.

Tbh, I was never convinced. It needs it's own separate WiiU version because the hardware won't be able to match up to their expectations. Even then, it's not worth the effort since it won't sell and the finished product won't be as good as the other ones anyway.

I've heard a lot of good things about the game.

I don't think it's the devs being lazy. But, it sounds like they went into it trying to get the same look on the WiiU as the PC, PS4 and One and have just realised that it's not possible.

Tbh, I was never convinced. It needs it's own separate WiiU version because the hardware won't be able to match up to their expectations. Even then, it's not worth the effort since it won't sell and the finished product won't be as good as the other ones anyway.

I've heard a lot of good things about the game.

Never said they were lazy. They themselves have said that it would be possible, but that it's a matter of economics and that it's not worth putting in "a hell of a lot of work" getting the Wii U version up to spec.

Simple really. I'd rather that they don't start spurting bollocks about them waiting based on "rumours" of new hardware though; that doesn't help anything. I'd rather that they just outright state that it's not worth the effort to them (and it's fair enough for them to say that because, let's be honest, it has zero chance of success anyway) and leave it at that.

Never said they were lazy. They themselves have said that it would be possible, but that it's a matter of economics and that it's not worth putting in "a hell of a lot of work" getting the Wii U version up to spec.

Simple really. I'd rather that they don't start spurting bollocks about them waiting based on "rumours" of new hardware though; that doesn't help anything. I'd rather that they just outright state that it's not worth the effort to them (and it's fair enough for them to say that because, let's be honest, it has zero chance of success anyway) and leave it at that.

Maybe you didn't say it, but you sorta implied it with the don't want to bother bit.

For the most part, I agree with you. It'll just disappear now. Or, if it does come, it'll be downgraded and much later.

Seems like the frame rate most other games on other formats hit. What's the problem </troll>

I dunno, I feel like we're missing part of the puzzle here.

I'm just gonna come out and say I couldn't give a stuff :blank:

It's definitely a shame for all the people who may have been looking forward to it, though :hmm:

Let' supposed at first they ARE saying the return isn't worth the effort - isn't the essentially he point of making/marketing/selling a product?

Beyond, they said 'We could reach a fairly solid 30FPS [on Wii U] but it might take a hell of a lot of work.' - they actually don't even have the scope for how much it might take - how much work do you put into something before you stop trying? They do admit that 'we're playing a waiting game at the moment and yes, economics do come in to it.' which isn't unreasonable as they're still trying to do the best they can with what they've got, which isn't limitless resources but they do so that 'On the other hand, about halfway through us finishing, Nintendo might announce a new console (I have zero knowledge on this BTW but I've heard 'rumours'). Our work might just be the best thing that ever hit that new console in the driving sim genre.' which imo implies they are actually trying their best to do what they can with it, if it they can.

I realise you probably weren't critiquing them harshly but it felt like you dismissing them because they don't want to make the effort, whereas I read it as them actually trying their best they can despite all the potential issues putting off a lot of WiiU devleopment and I really think that passion should at least be commended rather than rubbished as a write-off.

Anyone surprised?

The warning signs were there when they delayed it and secondly refused to show anything from the wii u version.

Just playing the PS4 version made me wonder how they are going to get it running on the wii u without making serious sacrifices.

Releasing a seriously underpowered console was the biggest mistake here.

Not surprised one bit.

I always said that until I see real footage of the Wii U version that I never thought it would be released.

Explains why we never saw any footage of the Wii U version running.

Truly is embarrassing. Feel sorry for people who only own Wii U.

Time to invest in other consoles guys.

Nintendo should learn from this disaster which is the Wii U and stop releasing consoles severely under powered.

Edited by khilafah

@Zechs Merquise This games probable cancellation is more of what I was talking about the other day. And as others have posted above, Nintendo should have listened to what third parties wanted, taken their views into consideration and released more powerful hardware.