NEurope
Retro_Link

Project CARS

Hasn't the Wii U one been in development for like... At least a year longer? Is it really that hard to develop for? This all sounds like utter bullshit to me.

Not surprising really. The Wii U can't run 360/PS3 ports due to the huge CPU bottleneck and it's not exactly going to get a down port of a PS4/PC game. It will require specific attention for a bigger team.

Hasn't the Wii U one been in development for like... At least a year longer? Is it really that hard to develop for? This all sounds like utter bullshit to me.

There not saying it's really difficult to develop for. The fact that the architecture used on the wii u is vastly different to the pc, ps4/xb1 just means more time is required.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I'd wonder how long 'in development for' is too - the idea of it or actually development started? Each of the major consoles may have different processes to go through, which might add some time too. I was wondering though - if XBone and PS4 are closer to PC as they say, does it mean it's even easier for them to develop for those than for say PS3 or 360?

What I don't get is why Nintendo don't just buy these guys out?

Wii U really needs racing games, espescially Gran Turismo-ish games. Nintendo could have gotten even more hype during E3 if they'd announced that Project Cars and World of Speed were going to be Wii U exclusive. Plus, then the Wii U version wouldn't have been delayed... atless Nintendo would ask the developer to make Cars contain as many vehicles as let's say Gran Turismo.

But yeah, what the developer is doing is truly stupid. They're delaying the most popular version in favor of the versions that nearly noone cares about. On formats which already have much more popular, classic franchises.

What I don't get is why Nintendo don't just buy these guys out?

Wii U really needs racing games, espescially Gran Turismo-ish games. Nintendo could have gotten even more hype during E3 if they'd announced that Project Cars and World of Speed were going to be Wii U exclusive. Plus, then the Wii U version wouldn't have been delayed... atless Nintendo would ask the developer to make Cars contain as many vehicles as let's say Gran Turismo.

But yeah, what the developer is doing is truly stupid. They're delaying the most popular version in favor of the versions that nearly noone cares about. On formats which already have much more popular, classic franchises.

Project CARS isn't your usual sort of game/studio project, from what I recall understanding it had/has heavy community involvement, including content in the game. These guys have essentially gone down a community route and are essentially self publishing(with profits I believe going back to the community too) - NBandai are just handling their distribution aspect, so the option of them being bought out for this was probably quite unlikely by anyone.

They're delaying the most popular version in favor of the versions that nearly noone cares about.

Surely thats just an opinion rather than factual.

I'd call it closer to sheer unrealistic exaggeration, but I felt it was a less important point to focus on :p

How big IS Project CARS anyway? Like in terms of expectations or publicity or marketing or awareness all that jazz etc?

Actually, for once, Darkjak is quite right. At least according to polls on the official page:

2rw43s6.jpg

Wii U seems to be more popular than XBOne and PS4 put together.

And it's understandable. Why buy CARS when you know you're going to get Forza and Gran Turismo with ten times as much content? Heck, Forza 5 will be in the bargain bin by the time Cars comes out.

Wii U seems to be more popular than XBOne and PS4 put together.

And it's understandable. Why buy CARS when you know you're going to get Forza and Gran Turismo with ten times as much content? Heck, Forza 5 will be in the bargain bin by the time Cars comes out.

That kind of poll doesn't really reflect sales, though. They know the market exists on the PS4/Xbox One.

Steam OS is slightly higher than Windows in the poll, but will account for a tiny fraction of sales compared to Windows.

That kind of poll doesn't really reflect sales, though. They know the market exists on the PS4/Xbox One.

Steam OS is slightly higher than Windows in the poll, but will account for a tiny fraction of sales compared to Windows.

That is true. Polls don't reflect the outcomes of elections, nor do they neceserilly reflect sales.

I do however maintain that with Gran Turismo 6 announced, Forza 5 already out and Forza Horizon 2 coming out at nearly at the same time as Cars, I don't think this game will have any considerable impact on those formats.

On the other hand, Wii U owners haven't really been buying many third party games.

If we can have a crap load of FPS games that sell, we can have a crap load of racing games. I don't see any difference.

And relatively, there are way fewer racing games to pick from.

In fact, Project Cars is a sim, whereas Forza Horizon 2 and Drive Club are arcade racers. As is The Crew. In fact, Project Cars probably stands out the most among racing games.

I still don't understand why this game is getting this much attention anyway. From what we've seen (which is very little), it doesn't look special.

Creative Director Discusses 2015 Delay for Wii U Version of Project CARS

Creative Director Andy Tudor has explained why Project CARS' Wii U release date was delayed until 2015.

"There's no conspiracy here - we announced the Wii U very early on in our development cycle, and some people think because we've been working on it a lot longer so it should be out now," Tudor said to Eurogamer. "The Xbox One version looks wicked, the PC version looks awesome, so does the PS4 version. It's not our goal to rush the Wii U version and have it not look as good as the other ones."

Tudor cites several "passionate" Wii U fans who voiced their concerns for the racing game's delay on Nintendo's home console, voicing empathy while explaining his reasoning.

"The Nintendo fans we've got are crying out for a game like this. They don't really have that experience currently, and there hasn't really been anything like it on Wii previously. It's not our job to disappoint those guys," he says. "So when we say the Wii U version is delayed in 2015 because we need a little more time, that's all it is. We just want to make sure it's of the same standard of all the other games."

Project CARS is a crowd-funded racing game created by Slightly Mad Studios that aims to combine the best of both arcade racing and racing simulator games using a broad approach and unique weather effects. It will launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC on November 18 in North America and on November 20 in Europe, with the Wii U version releasing sometime in 2015.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/09/05/creative-director-discusses-2015-delay-for-wii-u-version-of-project-cars

Slightly Mad Studios and BANDAI NAMCO Games Europe S.A.S today revealed 8 new tracks for Project CARS. In their first round of location reveals the team focused on some iconic European circuits. Now they are proud to reveal some exceptional locations from further afar and variety of types...

Watkins Glen and Road America join the roster from the US along with the first of our point-to-point locations - a beautiful drive down the California Highway of the West Coast. An open-top sports car and sunglasses are mandatory!

To compliment this, Slightly Mad Studios have also included a stunning point-to-point drive along the Azure Coast of the French Riviera leading to another new location - the road circuit of Azure, located in scenic and luxurious Southern France.

Stopping off in the United Kingdom, the well-known Oulton Park and the first of our karting tracks Glencairn set in the beautiful Scottish Uplands will also be available.

And finally, taking the track roster fully international, the tight and challenging Mount Panorama, Bathurst located in New South Wales, Australia, has also been included.

There are many more locations still to be revealed so please regularly check in at http://www.projectcarsgame.com to see which new ones have been added.

For more information about BANDAI NAMCO Games and its entire line up, please visit the BANDAI NAMCO Games Europe official website at http://www.bandainamcogames.eu.

For more details on Project CARS, please visit http://www.projectcarsgame.com.

ss35.jpg

ss36.jpg

ss37.jpg

ss38.jpg

ss39.jpg

ss40.jpg

ss41.jpg

ss42.jpg

Still think these guys have made a huge mistake not focussing on the WIi U. Now they;re up against Forza 5 on one and Driveclub on PS4; both of which I'd expect will sell much more than this. If they pushed the Wii U out first than Wii fans may have given it a look, nintendo fans seem to embrace exclusive games very well, and not multi platform releases, and most likely definitely not late ports... I can see most nintendo fans feeling a bit let down by these guys and ignoring it when it's out.

Still think these guys have made a huge mistake not focussing on the WIi U. Now they;re up against Forza 5 on one and Driveclub on PS4; both of which I'd expect will sell much more than this. If they pushed the Wii U out first than Wii fans may have given it a look, nintendo fans seem to embrace exclusive games very well, and not multi platform releases, and most likely definitely not late ports... I can see most nintendo fans feeling a bit let down by these guys and ignoring it when it's out.

A userbase that has no driving sims and hasnt had any decent driving sims going all the way back to N64 will ignore the game because its a late port.

yeah it sucks that it is coming out late but for Wii U owners that dont own a PS4/xbox one but if the game is good then it would be pretty silly to ignore as the Wii U doesnt have realistic driving games.

I see this game as a real test for the nintendo fan base regarding driving sims/realistic driving games on nintendo consoles.

Not sure now whether to get this on Wii U or PS4. If it has good use of the gamepad then that will make me hang on.

The worst thing they can do is keep us in the dark with no updates or screens.. but that seems to be par for the course.

A userbase that has no driving sims and hasnt had any decent driving sims going all the way back to N64 will ignore the game because its a late port.

yeah it sucks that it is coming out late but for Wii U owners that dont own a PS4/xbox one but if the game is good then it would be pretty silly to ignore as the Wii U doesnt have realistic driving games.

I see this game as a real test for the nintendo fan base regarding driving sims/realistic driving games on nintendo consoles.

I feel that's what Nintendo fans are like, well anyone I guess, if they feel screwed over they won't support it. Still think Rayman would've sold loads more if it was exclusive.

This would've bn a test but with it being delayed they would've pissed people off, and the moment will have passed. It's like watchdogs, that'll sell even less now because of the delay.

My ultimate point though, was that I think they've missed a trick. Can't see it selling well on the other consoles and thugs Ducks their wii u sales potential. if they made it a wifi u exclusive they could've maybe got decnt sales as wii u fans are pretty loyal. Haven't all exclusives done pretty well?

I feel that's what Nintendo fans are like, well anyone I guess, if they feel screwed over they won't support it. Still think Rayman would've sold loads more if it was exclusive.

This would've bn a test but with it being delayed they would've pissed people off, and the moment will have passed. It's like watchdogs, that'll sell even less now because of the delay.

My ultimate point though, was that I think they've missed a trick. Can't see it selling well on the other consoles and thugs Ducks their wii u sales potential. if they made it a wifi u exclusive they could've maybe got decnt sales as wii u fans are pretty loyal. Haven't all exclusives done pretty well?

thugs Ducks

thugs Ducks

thugs Ducks

h60F231B0

Thing is, the userbase is split, PS4/X1 dual owners, and Wii U only owners.

My presumption is that PS4/X1 dual owners will get the game for that, not the Wii U. My second presumption is that the majority of Wii U owners who like this kind of game are likely more strongly represented in the dual ownership demographic.

My question to dual/tri owners who are interested in this game, if this was Wii U exclusive, would you have purchased it on the Wii U just to have a realistic driving game on that console?

Really, if a large number of eventual owners of this game on the other consoles would have purchased on the Wii U anyway, it becomes less (maybe even UN) profitable to release on the other consoles - it is a possibility that X1/PS4 owners will be more interested in the established franchises on those consoles so... it could go either way really. But it is what it is.

My question to dual/tri owners who are interested in this game, if this was Wii U exclusive, would you have purchased it on the Wii U just to have a realistic driving game on that console?

I'm not a dual format owner per say. I own a Wii U and an Xbox 360. The only reason I care about CARS is that it's coming to the Wii U. And I'm not buying this for my 360. Why? I have Forza 4 and soon I'll be able to get Forza Horizon 2. Both games contain more and cooler cars, customization and god knows what else that CARS lacks.

If I buy CARS, it will be on Wii U. And if it was a Wii U exclusive, I would buy it, guaranteed.

Project Cars shooting for 1080p 60fps on both Xbox One and PS4

While the Wii U version might not quite hit those specs.

The developer of racing game Project Cars is targeting a 1080p resolution and 60 frames per second output for both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game.

While earlier builds of the racing game were running well below 60fps, the build shown at EGX last week hits the target on both consoles - although there's still a little work to do to get the Xbox One version's resolution running in parity with the PS4 version's.

"On Xbox One it's not quite 1080p at the moment," Slightly Mad Studios' Andy Tudor told Eurogamer at EGX 2014. "But it's not representative of the final quality. We're still aiming to get there."

"Towards the end of the game you're always optimising, and during development it's a rollercoaster. Sometimes you look at the game and think oh god, that's not working, that's not working. But other days you hit 60fps, and it's awesome."

"For a racing game, 60fps is hugely important," Tudor continued. "What people don't know is that the physics underneath runs at 600 times a second. We measure the input you're doing on the controller 250 times per second. Project Cars does that way more than any other game - they're all doing that significantly lower. The screen refreshes 60 times per second - we're measuring the tires, the physics, the suspension, all that stuff, 600 times."

Project Cars is due out in the UK on 21st November 2014. That's for PC, PS4 and Xbox One.

There's another console version of Project Cars, of course, with the Wii U port due out next year. It won't hit the performance highs of the Xbox One and PS4 versions, though Tudor is happy with the progress Slightly Mad is making.

"There are significant hurdles that we've had to get over, and that's kind of expected," he said. "But the fact we can have weather, time of day, a significant number of cars on screen, it's actually really promising."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-28-project-cars-shooting-for-1080p-60fps-on-both-xbox-one-and-ps4

I wonder what Wii U will achieve then...

I guess November/December is a bit of a bad month for this to be released on the Wii U.. I don't think many people will be sat around in November wishing it was available for Wii U!

Probably February onwards is when new games might get a look in, but it's a little disappointing Wii U gets the game last. Hopefully they'll do a better job than ubisoft of releasing the game close to the other versions!

Edited by Pestneb