NEurope
Retro_Link

Project CARS

There's a thread for this in Other Consoles, because there's a good chance the PS3/360 version will probably come out months before the Wii U version...

But anyways, here's the rather awesome trailer!

From Slightly Mad Studios, the makers of Need for Speed Shift, comes Project CARS, developed with active community feedback from the studio's new WMD platform.

So at least we can already put one racer to the Wii U's names!

The music made me think of The Dark Knight which made me think just how cool it would be if the Batmobile was a choosable car in this game. Or any racing game, actually.

This game has me worried.

I was under the impression that 3rd party multiplatform games haven't been announced for the Wii U because Nintendo had told everyone not to announce them until (for example) E3.

Also, I want my two minutes back.

@Cube What's the worry.

Well, they've officially announced it for Wii U. Which means that publishers are allowed to mention what they're working on for the Wii U.

There's a thread for this in Other Consoles, because there's a good chance the PS3/360 version will probably come out months before the Wii U version...

I kind of doubt that we'll see a PS360 release, or even an official PC release soon, unless they're further along than what they're showing on the homepage.

This thing is an oddity, as they have that strange financing model/portal where people can buy themselves various levels of access to early builds of their projects and the rights to participate in forums, make suggestions etc.. Because of that, everyone with a suitable PC can already play the latest builds of the game, but they're pretty much "paying testers" so far. ;) I'm curious to see how this pans out on consoles and really hope the project doesn't fail and sink, so that we're never going to see the finished product at all. :hmm:

There is also an interesting presentation on the WMD-portal page, that details what kind of features they're planning to implement. It also planned as a free2play game, according to the slides.

Anyway, I'll shamelessly copy my ideas for how they could use the WiiU's tablet for some of their planned features from the WiiU-thread:

• Play CO-OP with a friend as Driver/Co-Driver - I'm assuming this refers to driving Rallies, might be nice with two "UPads", where the Co-Driver has a map. Gimmicky and geeky to be sure, but nice. ;)
  • PIT-2-CAR Radio - The "UPad" has a mic. Voice recognition would be nice for this. Another option would be to have additional virtual buttons on the touch screen for this.
  • User generated content - The "UPad" has a large touch screen. Painting liveries and decals seems like a no-brainer.

Well, they've officially announced it for Wii U. Which means that publishers are allowed to mention what they're working on for the Wii U.

I see what you're saying, but I imagine the case is that because CARS is by an indie developer who is very much doing the opposite of working with a publisher, then Nintendo's 'wishes' to keep a lid on quite literally every Wii U game hasn't trickled down to Slightly Mad Studios.

We know Darksiders II is a Wii U game, but even the latest trailers don't have a sniff of the Wii U logo.

Furthermore, I seem to remember that the developer hasn't said anything stronger than "We hope to have it on X consoles". It doesn't strike me as an official Wii U game by any means.

Some details on the Wii U version - specifically how it will use the controller:

Screen as primary view - I.e., allowing you to transfer play of the game between the TV and on-the-go around the house.

Screen as secondary view - Switch between rear-view mirror, overhead map, telemetry.

Primary input method - Drive by tilting the controller, on-screen buttons replicate the buttons/switches on a real wheel (push to toggle on/off or flip up/down).

Secondary input method - Manage decisions in the pits (swiping through tire choices, setting fuel amount).

Camera - personalise your profile, pose for the podium.

Menu navigation method - Flick photos from your gallery to the TV, private chat with team-mates.

1.jpg

It sounds exactly like my dream Wii U racing sim I had in mind when the controller was first unveiled. With hints on the grapevine that the upcoming F1 game will use the pad in a similar way, I'm actually pleasantly surprised that these studios are making a creative effort with tilt controls and the screen.

What's even better is that these early games will set the standard for future racing games. EA's NFS studios don't need to do the creative thinking bit now!

It's encouraging they're going to keep tilt controls into this game. Makes me hopeful that we'll see another ExciteTruck style racer. Would be a bit of a shame to have to revert back to analogue controls after that.

Would be cool if this had some of the more strategic elements surrounding pit management and race direction.

Would laugh my ass off if you could change tires like they suggested you would on Kinnect.

Would be cool if this had some of the more strategic elements surrounding pit management and race direction.

Would laugh my ass off if you could change tires like they suggested you would on Kinnect.

Is that for real? Any demo videos or anything of that flying about, because I'd love to see that. :laughing:

Is that for real? Any demo videos or anything of that flying about, because I'd love to see that. :laughing:

Skip to 00:40 ;-)

Skip to 00:40 ;-)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha.

You've made my day. :laughing:

So stupid. You'd think that at some point during the development that one of the team would've said, "yeah...maybe we've gone a little too far with this one."

This game and the Wii U control options are sounding really great! :D

Especially the news that F12012 might adopt a similar approach.

I like the simple stuff too like using the camera to pose for a podium celebration photo!

Damn that looks awesome!! :D

Beautiful Rally stage ftw!

I wonder how many other gameplay types there are?

Bit annoying that the number on the dash display changes before the actual gear shift but still.

EDIT:

OMG I've just realised they've added HANDS! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

I don't really know a great deal about motorsports and cars. But, what is special about this? It looks very ordinary to me.

I'm kinda torn here. I want this game. Do Want.

Mind you; as someone who used to race competitively in online leagues on PC (GTR, GT Legends and the original R-Factor), I do need the steering wheel/pedals and gearshift for something this sim-like.

Anyone know if there's been any word on steering wheels to be released for WiiU yet?

If there isn't, I may have to go back to my pc for this one.

The trailer looks amazing. My main concern is how many cars that will be in the game. The reuse of the same few cars in the whole trailer slightly worries me.

The Wii U version of Project Cars, the hotly anticipated sim racer come graphical showcase, will 'likely' run at 720p, 30fps on Nintendo’s newest machine.

Published on Mar 18, 2013

The Wii U version of Project Cars, the hotly anticipated sim racer come graphical showcase, will 'likely' run at 720p, 30fps on Nintendo’s newest machine.

There had been speculation surrounding the title and whether it would push out Full HD graphics on Nintendo’s console.

Now Slightly Mad Studios Creative Director Andy Tudor has gone told NowGamer the title will probably run in 720p but will ‘look and feel amazing’.

He said: “We always prefer to aim for 30fps generally in order to keep gameplay-specific features like having more cars on track or better weather effects etc.

“So that’s standard across all consoles, and we’re more likely to utilize the native 720p support of the Wii U for launch especially since our physics and rendering systems demand a lot of processing power in order to deliver a truly next-gen experience.

“All you need to know is that when you get the game, it’ll look and feel amazing and you’ll want to show it off to your friends.”

To read the full interview with Tudor including how the studio plans to use the Gamepad and the ‘sandbox’ style of the game as well as the number of tracks, dynamic weather and AI.

~ http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1853385/project_cars_wii_u_runs_at_720p_30fps_will_look_feel_amazing.html

I honestly can't remember what the last 30fps racer I played was if you don't count F1 on the 3DS. I can't remember, but I bet I didn't like it. I hope they release this game with a Dreamcast dongle!!! Interesting how he says "for launch especially", so maybe a few future updates and patches to improve framerate?

Edited by madeinbeats

Slightly Mad Studios Creative Director Andy Tudor told NowGamer: “The gamepad just screams new innovations for gameplay and is a perfect match when thinking about using the gyroscope as a handheld wheel like in Mario Kart Wii and showing data on the screen such as a map, telemetry, speedo, or rear view mirror.*