NEurope
dan-likes-trees

Megaupload shuts down

Yeah but if you checked online, a car is like 1 terabyte. They're right, I wouldn't download a car.

The other problem is that if I could download a car for free, not deprive someone of it, do it almost entirely anonymously, guarantee there will be no witnesses and have less than a one in a million chance of being caught for it, sure, I'd download a car.

You%20Wouldn

I'm just sick of watching anti-piracy adverts on DVDs I buy. Each time I see one I'm pushed a little closer to just pirating everything.

Yeah but if you checked online, a car is like 1 terabyte. They're right, I wouldn't download a car.

I was hoping there was a way to convert the engine to a zip file... :sad:

There is in the US. 95 years after publication, I believe (so not exactly much use).

Rockstar have the right idea on how to do things.

With regards to piracy, I think it huts gaming much more than music, films and TV shows. They all have licencing money (cinema, radio, tv channels, etc). There's more beyond the physical product.

Games? Well, they just have the product.

From an economist's perspective saying "we can't compete with zero" (ie free) is saying "we can't compete".

I could go on about how artist make enough money and that there are models that work to make money like the one Louis CK used.

I still love David Draiman's (Disturbed) view on piracy. From back when Napster was the big internet no-no:

This is not rocket science. Instead of spending all this money litigating against kids who are the people they're trying to sell things to in the first place, they have to learn how to effectively use the Internet. For the artists, my ass... I didn't ask them to protect me, and I don't want their protection.

[i'm] Very positive about the internet, Napster. I think it's a tremendous tool for reaching many more people than we ever could without it. When you release music you want it to be heard by people. Artists really want to have their music heard. They want to have their creation heard by people. Nothing is going to do that better than Napster. I can't tell you how many kids have come up to me and said, "I downloaded a couple of tunes off Napster and I went out and bought the album." Or they say, "I want to come see you play." I don't really make money off of record sales anyway.

Saying that though, some people are shit and will pirate no matter what.

People still pirated the Lewis CK video.

I see people pirating small scripts that this one guy has made and is selling for $10.

These scripts are crazy cheap and often do pretty awesome stuff that would be valuable in a production workflow.

But people still pirate them.

Fun Factoid - The guy who run(ned) Megaupload is also the world's no.1 at Modern Warfare 3!

What a fun fact.

If the other industries sorted their lives out and caught up with Spotify I wouldn't pirate anything. I'm more than happy paying Spotify's £5 a month, love it, world brilliantly. Rarely pirate films, only if they're too slow coming to DVD and I missed them at the cinema / it's a shit film. And TV, but that doesn't really count, seeing as generally I'm only stealing off the evil empire that is Rupert Murdoch and Sky.

The consensus seems to be that piracy is okay because the legal route is (a) annoying and (b) expensive.

this is some BS!

filesonic and fileserve also now running scared!

had to cancel both premium subs!

Case Study: Happenstance and I watch Mythbusters and Drawn Together a lot. It's not really available here, so we have to download it.

Now Netflix is here, with both shows on it, we have both subscribed to Netflix and will probably continue to pay for the service after the free trial.

It's also worth noting that Netflix doesn't seem to have the annoying anti piracy messages. I could be wrong as I haven't watched many films on it yet.

Make things easily available for a decent price and it will cut piracy. Things like Netflix and Spotify are the best way to counteract piracy, not starting a witch hunt. You'll never cut it out completely though. If you convince people that your product is worth having, there will always be people willing to steal it.

Case Study: Happenstance and I watch Mythbusters and Drawn Together a lot. It's not really available here, so we have to download it.

Now Netflix is here, with both shows on it, we have both subscribed to Netflix and will probably continue to pay for the service after the free trial.

It's also worth noting that Netflix doesn't seem to have the annoying anti piracy messages. I could be wrong as I haven't watched many films on it yet.

Make things easily available for a decent price and it will cut piracy. Things like Netflix and Spotify are the best way to counteract piracy, not starting a witch hunt. You'll never cut it out completely though. If you convince people that your product is worth having, there will always be people willing to steal it.

This. I agree. I think films and Games are different, but in the case of music and TV shows, which have been for years available for free anyway (via radio and TV) and which have income anyway (from concerts and product placement ect) piracy's a different kind of issue. If 4od and other streaming services were up to date in their scheduling of shows I wouldn't pirate any TV, and in the modern age it's pretty ridiculous that shows should be running weeks or even months behing schedule.

Also Jesus pirated fish and bread to feed 5000.

Arguably it all belongs to his dad anyway...