NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2012

Can I just how delighted I was by the sneak-peek at Ron Howard's Rush. Fantastic cast line up and Ron can do both period & auto movies really, really well so I cannot wait to see that in theaters. Going to be fantastic.

I don't support Schumi but I still cheered and pumped my fist when he pulled that lap time out of the bag, pity he doesn't get the pole. For tomorrow I reckon Nico will break the run of different winners but I'd love to be proven wrong. I quite like Mark but I'm not sure of the Red Bull's race pace.

Edited by gaggle64

Are things not a bit fucked up when a driver can use his car as a weapon and gets a 10 place penalty, yet another accidentally and through no fault of his own doesn't have enough fuel in the car and gets sent to the back of the grid?

Was also dissapointed by that new footage of Schumacher on Hamilton in Spain.

Qually was way to random for my liking. I like not knowing what's gonna happen from race to race, but not, not being able to understand reversals in form from one practice session to the next.

Right another penalty, Perez changed his gearbox so he actually will start last after all. Good strategic decision.

Thought the race only picked up in the last 10 laps when we may have had something happen. Unfortunately the rain came a little too late to have any involvement.

I'm beginning to think that some changes need to be made with Qualifying 3 and those that don't set a lap time. I feel that if you are good enough to get into Q3, then you need to be going for pole (or at least as high as you can get up the grid) and not just set sector times and get to pick your tires. Either that or just let everyone start on the tires they want to.

Thought the race only picked up in the last 10 laps when we may have had something happen. Unfortunately the rain came a little too late to have any involvement.

I'm beginning to think that some changes need to be made with Qualifying 3 and those that don't set a lap time. I feel that if you are good enough to get into Q3, then you need to be going for pole (or at least as high as you can get up the grid) and not just set sector times and get to pick your tires. Either that or just let everyone start on the tires they want to.

Yeah, first corner and last 10 laps aside it was your standard dull Monaco; with halfway through me once again wondering whether I'd miss it from the calander or not?...

I would. And I suppose it's only 1 race out of 20 you have to sit through.

Damn rain was just 5 mins late!

Also agree with you that something needs to be done about Q3.

Still, we've got the epic Canada and Silverstone next!! :D

After all of that it's amazing to really look at the leaderboard with the top 6 still within a single race win, and numbers 7-11 within another. People are saying F1 has become too unpredictable but I am starting think the front four teams are genuinely that close to one another with the midfielders not far off, every minor miscalculation throwing everything into the air. I think we'll get a good idea of how everything will shake itself out in the end at Silverstone but it's still amazing there's still so little between them.

Might go put a fiver on Nico for the championship actually.

Feelings on Monaco were summed up by previous posts. Eventful first few laps courtesy of Grosjean & Maldonado causing a change of positions at the front of the grid, and the Safety car, and yeah last laps due to the will it, won't it rain. Pretty immense seeing the top 5 that close to each other.

It's an incredible place to look at I guess, but the racing just gets old after the first round of pits.

Hamilton has to win a race soon... surely.. Silverstone would be good.

Lotus also have to win one eventually.

I quite fancy Hamilton for the win in Canada (he's pretty great there), and hopefully Lotus/Kimi for the win at Silverstone, though I think Silverstone will be extremeliy tight with Red Bull and Alonso too.

IMO Monaco was the first place that I think the tyres had too much of an effect and ruined the race. At Monaco you want to see the drivers doing fastest/qually style laps every lap. This creates the excitment and also the potential of drivers getting it wrong/loosing concentration and crashing, or forcing others into a mistake, which causes the drama.

Other than the first lap we had no incedents because the drivers weren't pushing!

First stint was the drivers saving their tyres incase of rain, and the second stint was the drivers saving their tyres to make it to the end on a one stop. Only rain could have help, and it didn't arrive.

tumblr_m4qu4qgwG21r8kneko1_500.png

Best thing about the Monaco GP weekend!... :D

Webber, what a legend! :D

---

Too cool

tumblr_m4mtu5Mag21qikq6ko1_500.jpg

---

Also

tumblr_m4p25hPllf1r8kneko1_500.jpg

tumblr_m4nv4kfCQ41rwtehno1_500.jpg

tumblr_m4p1y1AGCx1r8kneko1_500.png

tumblr_m4p8shnKXA1rw6mk6o1_500.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah Button & Hamilton running that brief part of the F1 show was pretty hilarious. And Webber was funny too with his come back to Hamilton/Button.

Amazing, cheers @will&\#39;! :D

I sat in the 2010 Renault F1 car when I went on that Factory tour of their... I do not remember my feet being that high, but I guess maybe they were! It's quite incredible!

Yeah, I think that's the most amazing part for me, can't imagine being like that at 200mph for 2 hours. Car looks amazing in general cut in half though.

That's one of the things that I thought amazing when I saw that on one of those Sky Sports F1 featurettes they keep running. (the one with the Ferrari cars).

Can't imagine sitting like that for so long.

I will no longer be posting in this thread until mercedes give Schumacher a car THAT FUCKING WORKS!!!

Absolutely shocking that the BBC didn't get the live feed for this race. You'd think Bernie and Sky would have had some common sense given the time the race takes place. Having to wait till 10.30pm for highlights is just ridiculous. Haven't been overly bothered by this shared showing of the F1 so far this year but not having Canada live on the BBC is just... well I've already said it: ridiculous.

Absolutely shocking that the BBC didn't get the live feed for this race. You'd think Bernie and Sky would have had some common sense given the time the race takes place. Having to wait till 10.30pm for highlights is just ridiculous. Haven't been overly bothered by this shared showing of the F1 so far this year but not having Canada live on the BBC is just... well I've already said it: ridiculous.

I'm assuming that it was one of Sky's first picks after BBC picked Monaco, Britain and Brazil. Also, BBC probably didn't want the risk of it taking up the whole evening's programming if it rained, and also took into account Euro 2012 (even though there are no games on BBC this eve, they probably didn't know that when the new F1 deal was announced).

Anyway, what a brilliant race. Was sad for Alonso dropping back so far in the last few laps - dropped 15 points in the last five laps :( Should have gone in for tyres the lap after Lewis, might have got the jump with Hamilton's bad pit stop.

Ah well, 7 winners in 7 races! How long can this continue???

Yeah 10.30 start is a bit much. Atleast the BBC have 2 live races next.

Dissapointed to see Kimi get outshone by Grosjean this weekend, sort it out Kimi!

Relatively speaking Grosjean gained 5places and Kimi 4places so it was an even race, but he needs to switch his tyres on better!

... Mind you, Button is also having a shocker atm! And Michael gets even more bad luck!

It was a pretty enjoyable race, great drive by Hamilton!!! and Perez put in another really strong performance!

Dammit I forgot Valencia was inbetween Canada and Silverstone! Hopefully the tyres can shake the race up for once!

Well an 8th winner is still possible at least... Perez, Kimi, Grosjean, Schumi?

---

Monaco Gif

tumblr_m509y5jpia1qjvvc6o1_400.gif

Edited by Retro_Link

Flawless performance from Lewis, the race wasn't a thriller but that will be looked back on as one of the great all time drives. He had it all sown up when he destroyed Vettel's lead before the first pitstop, really took everything available and made it work. Poor Button and Michael though, I hope they come back fighting soon.

Now to Valencia, my favourite excuse for a nap...

I missed this due to being at Download festival, I know the results though, I had to check.

when looking on iPlayer last night the highlights for the race weren't there yet. Will these eventually get onto iPlayer?

They're usually up on iPlayer later on in the day/next day at the latest, so they should be up there now.

2 bits of F1 gossip -

Ferrari questioned Pérez form after Monaco

“After Monaco, we had a discussion with Sergio,” says Luca Baldisserri, head of the Ferrari Driver Academy. “We wanted to find out why recent results had not lived up to expectations after the Malaysian Grand Prix. Pérez is undoubtedly talented but he often lets himself down by being too aggressive which, especially in Formula 1, does not deliver results.

“Montreal was a great response; a race in which Sergio not only ran at a great pace but also managed his race very well, managing to stay on-track for 50 laps on the same set of tyres.”

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/280007/ferrari-questioned-perez-form-after-monaco/

CHANGING INTERLAGOS

Formula 1 wants to stay in brazil many years on, but both the track and the surrounding buildings are in need of a make-over, if the circuit is to stand the test of time.

Two years ago Bernie Ecclestone was ready to abandon the Interlagos circuit, but also gave the organisers the recipe for how to stay on the calendar, at least until 2020. A renovation project was delivered to Bernie Ecclestone on the 13th of this month, and the project is following the changes he wanted.

Among these changes are the fenced in area behind the pit area, which are within the required minimum for how small they can be, but that doesn´t say much. It´s extremely tight in the Brazilian paddock and one of the real challenges for the developers of the circuit, would be to use the sloping ground directly behind the pit area, and expand that.

Instead the entire paddock complex will be moved to somewhere between the Senna S curve and Curva de Sol, Turn 2 and 3, in other words. That means a whole new position for the start/finish line and this will of course change the action on the circuit.

“I have long believed in Brazil — we’ve been there since 1972,” Ecclestone said. “The future of formula one Brazil depends now on major improvements at Interlagos. These events (World Cup and Olympics) are a great opportunity to look at the circuit as well.

“I can no longer be questioned by the teams about why we are racing at the worst circuit in the championship,” said Ecclestone.

http://formulaoneupdate.wordpress.com/2012/06/15/changing-interlagos/

Ferrari have made me smile with the comments they've made about Perez being to inexperienced to be a Ferrari driver etc!

Massa was pretty bad at Sauber when he was there was he not? And yet they took him into the team! Ok he did 1 year as a test driver first, but Perez already shows far greater potential as far as I can see!

“I can no longer be questioned by the teams about why we are racing at the worst circuit in the championship,” said Ecclestone.
I think you forgot to add '...in terms of facilities' there Bernie! :indeed:

I think the idea of moving the pit straight to the long straight (which they currently exit out on to) seems to be a good solution if they can do that. I can't see it affecting the racing in any way.

@mr\-paul @will&\#39; if you're in the country... anyone else on here interested in F1?

There's a couple of cool things happeneing at Silverstone in the run-up to the Grand Prix...

Tuesday 26th June - Circuit Fun Run

Thursday 5th July - Pit Straight Senna Screening

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/princes-trust/?id=&utm_campaign=SLV+168+Princes+Trust&utm_source=emailCampaign&utm_medium=email&epslanguage=en

Have to say I'm pretty interested in the charity fun run of the circuit; getting to walk the track and doing something for charity at the same time.

Edited by Retro_Link