NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Resident Evil 6

Glad to hear your staying to enjoy it HoT!

I too got mine yesterday from ShopTo but due to work was unable to play it.

Just installing it now and I'm going to start on it.

RE5 can only dream of being anywhere near half as good as RE4. It has the outer shell of its predecessor, but the inside is completely hollow.

For all that RE4 did to the series, it actually still clung on to being survival horror (albeit in a different way - focusing on creating fear through tension and horrifying set-pieces, rather than the jump shock scares and disturbing stories that defined the past games). RE5 was a pure action game, done using the same mechanics as RE4 and didn't even try to be a survival horror (not to mention was designed basically as a long set of linear Mercenaries maps strung together, rather than an interconnected world)

I have no idea what you are talking about. RE5 kept the majority of what RE4 had (particularly combat - this feels almost cloned) and was really only slightly let down by the main character (and perhaps also by the inventory system and helper).

RE5 was a beast. And have you got RE6 (not the demo) to pass judgement?

Besides, I was always going to buy the game as it had 1000 gamerpoints up for grabs. I want to get every single one of them, regardless of what the gameplay is like.

Fixed for you :p

Gamespot Review.

Unless I get this as some sort of birthday present or something, I MAY pick this up when it's cheap.

Edited by Deathjam

IGN Review - 7.9

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/01/resident-evil-6-review

Undone by its ambitious attempt to pack four game experiences into one, Resident Evil 6 suffers from a bit of an identity crisis. At times it very much embraces its old school heritage, pitting its heroes against horrific creatures in the darkest, filthiest locales imaginable. Tension is palpable thanks to production values that reach new heights for the franchise. Yet it simultaneously attempts to be the largest, most action-packed entry in its history, betraying the aforementioned strengths. Lengthy firefights, driving sequences and other ill-conceived ideas grind the game's incredible moments to a halt. The result is something erratic and never sure of itself, delivering brilliance one moment and something far less interesting the next.
The Verdict

Evolution and ambition are only natural for a franchise as old as Resident Evil, as is the need to respect a long-lasting legacy and the fans that have come to appreciate it. But in trying to serve all masters, Resident Evil 6 loses focus and fails to accurately assess which of its elements are truly worthy of being included. When this game is at its height, it sets new standards for the series in every way. Unfortunately, there are no shortage of lows either, taking what could have been an excellent experience and making it something considerably lesser.

I've just realised that there is no ultimate campaign at the end of the game... no?

I had assumed that after the 4 different campaigns everything came together and you played out a final chapter or something. But is that not the case. Seems wierd having 4 different endings, but no ultimate ending!

I ordered this from ShopTo at the weekend after umming and ahhing haha.

I intend to play it through with @Mike1988uk - and we both loved RE5. So even though this hasn't had as good reviews, the fact it's high points are something to behold do cross out the low points of lots of 'stand there shooting' sections.

I hope so anyway - as this is my first home console game all year and probably my last before Wii U. So I hope I'm impressed!

The thing that's bothering me about this is that it's only really Leon's campaign that I think will at least be any good. Even with the demo I'm not sure I want to give the others a go.

So is it best to leave Leon's campaign to last, even though it comes first on the list? Does it really not matter what order you play them in, or have they been put in the order they have because that's the way the story works best?

The thing that's bothering me about this is that it's only really Leon's campaign that I think will at least be any good. Even with the demo I'm not sure I want to give the others a go.

So is it best to leave Leon's campaign to last, even though it comes first on the list? Does it really not matter what order you play them in, or have they been put in the order they have because that's the way the story works best?

I think you can play any you like first. I'll probably just pick as I play.

I never played the demo - I didn't want it to put me off haha. I generally don't think much of demos for games like this. Too late for me now though - it's bought ha. I'll be sure to post comments as I play though for those who can't decide! :)

If you fancy playing events in strict chronological order apparently this is the route you want to take:

Prelude Chapter

Chris Chapter 1

Chris Chapter 2

Jake Chapter 1

Jake Chapter 2

Leon Chapter 1

Leon Chapter 2

Leon Chapter 3

Jake Chapter 3

Chris Chapter 3

Jake Chapter 4

Leon Chapter 4

Chris Chapter 4

Jake Chapter 5

Chris Chapter 5

Leon Chapter 5

Ada's Campaign

I'm going to pick this up tomorrow. I know there's stuff about it that will annoy me, but having got to grips with the new moves in the demo I really like the combat; I suspect a lot of the reviews would be a point or two higher if they were judging the game's mechanics on their own terms.

Oh, be sure to try switching back to classic laser sight aiming. I find the default crosshair-and-wavering-dot system tends to make it feel like you should be hitting things when you aren't, whereas I know where I am with the old style.

Fixed for you :p

You're not complaining about my achievement love when I'm helping you boost. :D

I see this is getting panned by most reviewers, although Famitsu seems to have been paid off again.

I'm enjoying this more than i thought i would after playing the demo. I'm doing leon's campaign and had a go on mercenaries.

Did anyone else get theirs from play.com? Just wondering how you get your pre-order bonus? I just hope it's not by email as i cant log into the email account i use for them!! I must say they are better at delivering their pre-orders, got this on day of release and Avengers assemble 4 days early. Defo improvement!

How's progress @Hero\-of\-Time? Have you played any of the more actiony campaigns?

They are all actiony. :D

I played the first of Chris' campaign but haven't touched it since. I've been too busy with Borderlands 2, but i'm close to finishing that ( until DLC arrives ) so i'll get back to this probably this weekend.

Well ok yeah they're all actiony :p, but I thought atleast Leon's was supposed to be the most traditional of the lot?

Do Chris and Jakes campaigns have the survival horror sections aswell? Because all I've seen from them in video's is running and gunning.

So is Call Of Evil 6 worth getting?

You don't realise how right you're in calling it that. :D

I just played through Chris' second chapter and it was bad, really bad. It just felt like a 3rd person CoD. You start off riding a tank and then just go about killing enemies all over the place. You also have to go through about 4 hold your ground points again and at one point enemies are actually parachuting down at you.

The enemies are getting pretty stupid and generic looking as well. The designs remind me of that awful alien/human hybrid on Alien Resurrection. Half the time when someone mutates into a monster/zombie they do so at a different rate and also end up looking different to the monsters you have just been fighting. Is this a new strain of virus or something?

I'm really struggling with it now and to be honest it just feels like a mess at this point.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

You don't realise how right you're in calling it that. :D

I just played through Chris' second chapter and it was bad, really bad. It just felt like a 3rd person CoD. You start off riding a tank and then just go about killing enemies all over the place. You also have to go through about 4 hold your ground points again and at one point enemies are actually parachuting down at you.

The enemies are getting pretty stupid and generic looking as well. The designs remind me of that awful alien/human hybrid on Alien Resurrection. Half the time when someone mutates into a monster/zombie they do so at a different rate and also end up looking different to the monsters you have just been fighting. Is this a new strain of virus or something?

I'm really struggling with it now and to be honest it just feels like a mess at this point.

That just sounds so wrong for a game in the Resi franchise.

Also what is parachuting down? Human (non-mutant) enemy soliders or have zombies learned to use parachutes now?

I'll wait a few weeks then look on YT for someone to have uploaded a full walkthrough and just watch it like I did 5 :heh:

Also what is parachuting down? Human (non-mutant) enemy soliders or have zombies learned to use parachutes now?

I'll wait a few weeks then look on YT for someone to have uploaded a full walkthrough and just watch it like I did 5 :heh:

Infected humans. ::shrug:

Resi 5 was pretty enjoyable. I played it on PC and liked it. The graphics were great, the cover system was tight and I liked how they kept it so you couldn't move and fire at the same time.

My big gripes with 5 were that it felt so much like a re-hash of 4 but without the magic. It certainly wasn't a bad game, but it never had the same tension or feeling of it being you against unsurmountable odds like it did in 4.

I also loved how many areas were all interconnected in 4, whereas in 5 the areas felt very seperate - almost like levels.

after reading this thread i think i might wait for a "gold" version of resi6 or just a price drop

Yeah, you're not the only one. I think I'll just wait for Gold Edition too or a price drop to £20. Whatever comes first...

I finished Chris' story this morning and even though the gameplay being meh the story was pretty good.

Chapter 3 was probably a low point due to how drawn out it was. It was one chase sequence after another. There was also a part where it was on rails firing at traffic and then you had to do a driving section in first person.

Chapter 4 was quite promising until I took control of a fighter jet and attacked a jet carrier. True story.

The last chapter was the best as it had some good story stuff going on and it finally did what i've been wanting Resident Evil to do for a while. I actually thought the thing that happened would have happened in Resi 5.

Despite the Armageddon rip off Chris' ending was quite good.

Now for Jake's story.

Despite the Armageddon rip off Chris' ending was quite good.
... Chris flies into space and destroys an asteroid with his bare hands doesn't he. :indeed:

Edited by Retro_Link