NEurope
CoolFunkMan

Resident Evil 6

I loved the QTE's in Resident Evil 4, they were so tense. Especially that fight.

Capcom has uploaded full direct feed footage of the E3 demos to Youtube.

Leon:

Chris:

Jake:

I feel like I'm in the minority but I think this game looks great, especially Chris' and Jake's gameplay.

I must admit, I'm in two minds. I loved all of the games and I think this looks cool but on the other hand, I'm still hoping it'll have that scary edge. Resident Evil 4 had it a bit but 5 was complete action and this seems to look the same. I'm still going to buy it, mind!

Co-op ruined Resident Evil 5. This looks like more of the same. I don't want another character with me damnit! I want to play alone.

And now they're doing it to Dead Space as well! :nono:

I don't mind the co-op as long as the characters are useful like they are in Gears 3 (not Gears 2, they can't be bothered to save you when you're down on that!). Resident Evil 5 was a bit of both for me, it was good and bad but hopefully 6 will be awesome for it.

I don't really want it on Dead Space 3 either but I don't mind as long as the damn character does something useful!

It's not a case of being useful. If a CPU controlled character accompanies you throughout the adventure, it's nowhere near as scary. There were plenty of times in Resi 5 where I hadn't seen an enemy coming, but then Sheva was shooting at something off screen. If I'd been alone, I would have jumped out of my skin when an unseen enemy jumped on top of me. It happens a lot in Dead Space, and it sounds like the third game will lose that sense of isolation. Can you imagine a Metroid game with co-op play? It'd lose its atmosphere.

Horror games do not suit co-op play that has been shoehorned in to appeal to the masses. It adds something to games like Gears or Halo, but not something that's supposed to scare you.

Co-op ruined Resident Evil 5. This looks like more of the same. I don't want another character with me damnit! I want to play alone.

And now they're doing it to Dead Space as well! :nono:

They should make it optional a la Sonic, not remove it. Co-op was great with a friend.

Collectors edition incoming.

It contains all sorts of gubbins, including a hooded sweatshirt and a real-life emblem. It does not, however, include Leon Kennedy's new leather jacket, as seen in the so far Japan only £817 Premium Edition.

600x-1

The contents in full, in Capcom's own words:

Resident Evil 6 game.

Zombie Steel Book.

Exclusive Resident Evil 6 hardback artbook showing concept art from the game.

Resident Evil 6 Avatar DLC code for 360 owners OR an RE6 Dynamic Theme for PS3 owners.

Ivy University, Tall Oaks hooded sweatshirt (one size) .

'The RE6 forces emblems' - High quality enamelled zinc alloy emblems of the three main protagonists squad insignias, mounted and set in a limited numbered frame authenticated with signatures from Senior producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi, Producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi and RE6 Director Eiichiro Sasaki. A must have piece for any fan of Resident Evil! .

All of the above amazing goodies are bundled together in the lenticular 'Needle Bomb' collectors box (as seen in the RE6 announce trailer).

Hmm I'm dissapointed by that Collectors Edition. Nothing in it really takes my interest.

Demo is up now for 360 owners and Gaf don't seem to be impressed. They complain that the demo is short, bullets seems to have no impact, there are screen tearing issues and your health regenerates.

Demo is up now for 360 owners and Gaf don't seem to be impressed. They complain that the demo is short, bullets seems to have no impact, there are screen tearing issues and your health regenerates.

Heath regenerates? Does that mean no herbs or first aid sprays! WTF

Heath regenerates? Does that mean no herbs or first aid sprays! WTF

Nah, its like Mass Effect where it regenerates 1 block.

I will give it a go tonight and see what the crack is. I had Dragons Dogma still sealed on the PS3 which I bought the other week. I've just taken it back and swapped it for the 360 version so I could play the demo. :D

Not seeing the demo on the Marketplace...

EDIT. Ah, just noticed it's just for people who have Dragon's Dogma...

Edited by Dog-amoto

So, i've just finished the demo and can safely say it was a piece of junk. I find myself pretty much agreeing with everything Gaf said.

The first section is Leon and this feels very much like old skool Resident Evil. The problem is that the screen tearing happens every 5-10 seconds and that just distracts from the game. You also do sod all in this section, you just walk around for a while, following some NPC. During this segment the AI once again proved how useless it was when I came to helping me out. I had to push the B button so I could move an obstacle, the AI had to come help me and I had to wait 30 seconds before she arrived.

Next up was Chris. This just felt all wrong. The bullets were just flying through the enemies and they had little impact. The death animations were cool though, kinda like when Blade kills a vampire. The enemies looked shoddy as hell with most sporting Tyrant style arms. The guys who were half moths half human were laughable. The gameplay felt like some very cheap version of Gears of War.

Last was Jake and I didn't even finish this section. He and Sherry have to run away from some half meat head half machine thing, problem is that 1 shot and you're dead. This wouldn't be an issue if the game just started you at the check point again, but nooooooooooo, you get booted to the main menu and have to start from scratch. I died a few times and then just gave up.

Oh, screen tearing was an issue in every section of the game and yes it occurred just as frequently as it did in Leons chapter.

Once was one of my favourite gaming serious has been reduced to this abomination. Capcom what have you done?

So, i've just finished the demo and can safely say it was a piece of junk. I find myself pretty much agreeing with everything Gaf said.

The first section is Leon and this feels very much like old skool Resident Evil. The problem is that the screen tearing happens every 5-10 seconds and that just distracts from the game. You also do sod all in this section, you just walk around for a while, following some NPC. During this segment the AI once again proved how useless it was when I came to helping me out. I had to push the B button so I could move an obstacle, the AI had to come help me and I had to wait 30 seconds before she arrived.

Next up was Chris. This just felt all wrong. The bullets were just flying through the enemies and they had little impact. The death animations were cool though, kinda like when Blade kills a vampire. The enemies looked shoddy as hell with most sporting Tyrant style arms. The guys who were half moths half human were laughable. The gameplay felt like some very cheap version of Gears of War.

Last was Jake and I didn't even finish this section. He and Sherry have to run away from some half meat head half machine thing, problem is that 1 shot and you're dead. This wouldn't be an issue if the game just started you at the check point again, but nooooooooooo, you get booted to the main menu and have to start from scratch. I died a few times and then just gave up.

Oh, screen tearing was an issue in every section of the game and yes it occurred just as frequently as it did in Leons chapter.

Once was one of my favourite gaming serious has been reduced to this abomination. Capcom what have you done?

So effectively what you are saying is that you should have just kept the ps3 copy of Dragons Dogma :P Seriously though you should have :mad:. If you don't like screen tearing, unfortunately Dragons Dogma has some of that on 360 while ps3 version doesn't but gets pretty bad slowdown in busy points, which is apparently more than what occurs on the 360 :(

Seems the older franchises of Capcom such as Resi and DMC have suffered in efforts to 'modernise/westernise' them while their new IPs are proving more compelling.

The negativity around this game makes me want to cry :( (may be over reacting a bit there...)

I hope the final release ends up being awesome!!

I hope the game bombs, causing Capcom to realise that they have taken the franchise completely in the wrong direction. Therefore, allowing them to make amends in the next game.

It will never happen, mind. :heh:

The Leon demo has a really good atmosphere, nice and eerie and yeah that slowing to a crawl when the game wanted to was annoying. Aiming at first did feel weird, the default settings blow but when adjusted they are pretty good. Already have the best controls of any RE game. The melee combat works well enough.

The Leon demo has the same issues as the Revelation demo on the Mercs game, lots of walking and only abit of zombie action at the end.

Not sure what was happening in other peoples demo but zombies did respond to being shot, not so much in the chest but for arms, legs and head? They responded by stumbling etc. I also like how chunks of the body got blown off, I shot one zombie in his side and he had a big gaping hole where I had shot him.

The visuals are abit hit and miss. At times it looks really good and then others not so much. Screen tearing was bad when my console was set to 1080p which was the same for RE5 so I set it to 720p and it wasnt so bad. When aiming the camera is defo to close to the player, they really should of stuck with the RE5 type view for that. Not sure why they changed that. You can move and shoot though which is nice but expected.

The Chris demo was straight up action but wasnt awful. Pretty much bog standar third person shooter type stuff. I cant comment on the cover because I didnt see any lol. Everytime I went to try and get into cover the only option it gave me was to climb ontop of stuff so I didnt bother. Covers wasnt need atall, its was pretty easy to shoot your way through.

I havent tried the Jake demo yet so I cant really comment. Its not garbage at all but it does need a decent amount of work and I'm not sure Capcom have the time to do it but this is the e3 demo and god knows how old this demo is. The Leon campaign is what I'm most intertested in and the demo shows promise for that section of the game but others are up in the air.

lol @ jerk Chris. Interested to find out more about his situation.

edit -

lol just figured out how to go into cover. Seems ok, weird how you have to hold the trigger in and the press button to duck if you need to crouch cover.

I recommend having camera speed and aim speed at 7 each. Works best for me.

So effectively what you are saying is that you should have just kept the ps3 copy of Dragons Dogma :P Seriously though you should have :mad:. If you don't like screen tearing, unfortunately Dragons Dogma has some of that on 360 while ps3 version doesn't but gets pretty bad slowdown in busy points, which is apparently more than what occurs on the 360 :(

Pretty much. I heard a few people say that Dragons Dogma was better on the PS3, which is why I bought it for that console. The Resident Evil fanboy inside of me got the better of me though.

I recommend having camera speed and aim speed at 7 each. Works best for me.

I recommend not playing the game until Capcom sort stuff out. Works best for me. :D

All of the hate makes me sad! Is it really that bad? :(

I hope that it's release isn't like that! Although I love Resident Evil, I'm still unsure about 6. I think it looks cool but give me survival horror over action any day of the week! Come on Capcom, get your shit together!

The opinion is split. A lot of people are hating it, like myself and others are enjoying it, like bryanee.

Fair enough the gameplay has changed to a more action based game and that will split peoples opinions, but their is no excuse for the amount of screen tearing that is going on in this demo.

An utter disgrace. Not even speaking of the series' shift towards action over horror, it isn't even a good action game!

Ok, let's speak of the good first. Leon's scenario showcased some promising atmosphere at the start, with no action to speak of until towards the end. However, this scenario falls apart at the seams when you realise how predictable it all is, with "scares" relegated to camera shifts and a hackneyed "twist" involving a predictable zombie transformation - culminating in an end scene that honestly made me think I was playing House of the Dead 4 (that's not a good thing considering that this isn't meant to be campy horror! :laughing:)

Overall, not much gameplay to speak of and a tension that quickly falls apart when you start to see its puppet strings that hold it up.

Now, Chris' Scenario. Oh boy...

It's a straight up Gears of War clone (forget any sense of horror or tension at all) and not a very good one! Awkward doesn't begin to describe the controls, with a million different actions that serve little purpose and an aiming system that doesn't even accurately reflect where you're aiming! (oh and did I mention that Chris takes up half the fucking screen? Cause seeing Chris' roided out arse is more important than being able to see your environment!)

The shooting is unsatisfying, with it feeling like you're shooting humanoid meringue rather than fleshy targets.

OH GOD THE INVENTORY SYSTEM WHY!? OH GOD WHY!?!? If you hated RE5's clunky inventory system, you'll have a brain anurism and want to throw your controller at the TV with this game. It's unbelievably messy and complicated and makes no fucking sense! Took my about 10 mins just to work out how to use herbs! It's just simply trying to do too much in real-time with a limited display and input system (maybe a hypothetical Wii U version would be better suited to this kind of setup - Revelations did the real-time inventory right, this is a complete disaster!) - Oh and as an added bonus there is no way to pause the game at all, not even the Xbox guide pauses the game! That's just fucking rude to the player! :mad:

Of course none of that really matters thanks to a "wonderful" innovation. Remember the kick command that would sometimes pop up in RE4 & RE5 where you could finish off some foes with a melee attack? Well now you can do it any time you want thanks to a new dedicated melee button! Who needs to aim when you can just mash the Right Trigger and have the game play itself for you! And in the case that you run out of stamina (the game has a Monster Hunter style stamina meter to act as a bandaid solution), the new quick shot command auto aims your bullets at enemies around you on the ground, removing the need for aiming at all while your stamina meter (very quickly) recharges :rolleyes:

Oh and as an added bonus, the level design is fucking awful. With the level laid out without rhime nor reason, the developers added a Call of Duty style distance marker that takes care of the navigation part of the game for you! How kind of them to hold your hand and prevent you from getting lost thanks to the dark and confusing layouts (not helped by the masses of tearing that the game suffers from) that RE6 has to offer!

So with that mess out of the way, let's move on to Vin Diesel Jake's scenario. Starting off with an action scene involving masses of "awesome" action movie oneliners, you are dumped into a chase sequence where you are running from an Elgigante reject and are given no indication of how to run (resulting in an immediate You are Dead screen that reminds me of Another World's famous intro - though it's not a good thing here considering what they're going for here!). Following this, you are plonked into a warehouse of sorts that vaguely resembles an RE4 environment, only with super agile zombie ninjas that wield katanas and sub machine guns ::shrug: Finally you climax with a boss battle where you fight said Elgigante reject, by running around and repeatedly shooting it. He pretty much just charges back and forth in a predictable and boring manner :zzz:

And that's RE6, a sad shadow of the series former self that feels like it was designed by a market research powered AI. One of the best examples of corporate meddling this generation. From COD's distance markers and level design, to Jake's character design, to Gears of War's scripted camera tracking and gameplay (done poorly) to every generic shooter and action game this gen and even a ripoff of God of War's finisher animations! (You can actually make Chris rip the head off a zombie on the ground in a roid rage, yes I shit you not), you can see where the game has stolen its ideas and concepts from.

Mind you though, there is one good thing about it. Try switching between weapons and items really quickly with Chris. It's just about the most hilarious thing you've ever seen 01laugh.gif