NEurope
The Peeps

Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

A lot of fraudsters reside in Southern Italy (credit card fraud) and Eastern European countries which have lax laws against this sort of thing, to the extent that they refuse to take the effort to investigate or hand over anyone to, say, the US...zombies and botnets would help, too.

but certainly pirates could find a place where the state doesn't care.

Open waters!

Open waters!

There was a ship all the other pirates feared,

Even blue, black red and yellowbeards,

The cap'n was as rotten as they come,

And never once thought to write to his mum!

The bill's sponsor, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), is not happy. "More time will pass with jobs lost and economies hurt by foreign criminals who are stealing American intellectual property, and selling it back to American consumers," he said in a statement. "The day will come when the Senators who forced this move will look back and realize they made a knee-jerk reaction to a monumental problem."

"Somewhere in China today, in Russia today, and in many other countries that do not respect American intellectual property, criminals who do nothing but peddle in counterfeit products and stolen American content are smugly watching how the United States Senate decided it was not even worth debating how to stop the overseas criminals from draining our economy," he fumed.

Ha, weird statement.

Way to not-try to cooperate with other countries to develop new computer laws in response to issues that affect everyone!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248525/sopa_pipa_stalled_meet_the_open_act.html

A new act that has been proposed.

If the ITC investigation finds that a foreign registered website is ‘primarily’ and ‘willfully’ infringing on the IP rights of a U.S. rights holder, the commission would issue a cease and desist order that would compel payment processors (like Visa and Paypal) and online advertising providers to cease doing business with the foreign site in question. This would cut off financial incentives for this illegal activity and deter these unfair imports from reaching the U.S. market.

Now that sounds like a much fairer way of doing things.

Under SOPA the penalty for uploading Michael Jackson music illegally would be 5 years in prison right? The penalty for killing him is 4 years in prison...

Interesting.

...and completely missing the point of why we have protests and strikes in a democratic society to boot. Great.

Great quote I found on the outlandish and disproportionate response that would occur under SOPA

Under SOPA you could be jailed for five years for uploading a Michael Jackson song. One year more than the doctor who killed him.

Has been pointed out already :p

ACTA has already been signed in the US and various other countries. The over-reaction to it now going on the internet is ridiculous.

Many of the things people had issues with about it got removed before signing.

ACTA got signed in the US on October 1st, among other countries. If it was going to destroy the internet, it would have by now.

A minister/idiot named Sean Sherlock is trying to pass SOPA in Ireland - apparently by the end of the month.

However...

uHcVs.png

--

EDIT: He's changed them and is now using icons from GNU GPL software.

Edited by EddieColeslaw

This ACTA thing is really confusing. I see all these complains about how it will allow tracking, how it will enable websites to be blocked and it will destroy the internet.

However...I can't find a single source which backs any of that up.

ACTA just seems like a set of guidelines to enable people to take action against people who illegal distribute their material (rather than the people requiring massive legal teams and to have to guess at the best thing to do about it).

The problem with ACTA is that governments won't reveal details about it citing National Security.

As such, rumours start. Rumours spread. People take rumours as fact. Everyone then feels they're fact.

Very good video concerning SOPA (good points, even if you don't like TAA!)...

This ACTA thing is really confusing. I see all these complains about how it will allow tracking, how it will enable websites to be blocked and it will destroy the internet.

However...I can't find a single source which backs any of that up.

ACTA just seems like a set of guidelines to enable people to take action against people who illegal distribute their material (rather than the people requiring massive legal teams and to have to guess at the best thing to do about it).

I was just about to post the same as our dear Serebii, the issue is whilst we think this is what ACTA contains, we can't know for sure until they release details...and they won't.

Which frankly is crazy..but I imagine there's at least something bad in ACTA otherwise they'd let us know.

:indeed:

Very good video concerning SOPA (good points, even if you don't like TAA!)...

I think that must be the most irritating person I've ever seen.

Just seeing that one shot of him alone makes me agree with you Moogle. I don't think I need to waste 9.42 double checking.

I think that must be the most irritating person I've ever seen.

Sure. But he's still right.

It didn't particularly drag for me. He can be a prick, but on this occasion i was liking what i was hearing.