NEurope
The Peeps

Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA)

A free service put an ad up that tells you how to remove it. Oh no. They didn't say "we're never putting this page back up unless you meet our demands". It was an ad, not a terrorist attack.

Sorry, but what Wikipedia and others have done simply isn't terrorism. It's not even a strike in Wikipedia's case because you can still access their site. Besides, these sites have absolutely no obligations to stay in business if they don't want to, but that's completely missing the entire point; this is a strike, a protest. It's sometimes the only weapon we have against those in power. Calling it terrorism is a kick in the face to victims of actual terrorism, if you ask me.

Sorry guys, I don't think I'm ever going to agree with you. I can see your point and understand where you're coming from. But I don't support it or the actions taken by these sites.

And that's perfectly fine. Really, I understand completely where you're coming from, and you definitely have some valid points. But it just isn't terrorism by any stretch of the definition.

Sorry, but what Wikipedia and others have done simply isn't terrorism. It's not even a strike in Wikipedia's case because you can still access their site. Besides, these sites have absolutely no obligations to stay in business if they don't want to, but that's completely missing the entire point; this is a strike, a protest. It's sometimes the only weapon we have against those in power. Calling it terrorism is a kick in the face to victims of actual terrorism, if you ask me.

...and completely missing the point of why we have protests and strikes in a democratic society to boot. Great.

Great quote I found on the outlandish and disproportionate response that would occur under SOPA

Under SOPA you could be jailed for five years for uploading a Michael Jackson song. One year more than the doctor who killed him.

Dan, Danny, we've conceded that either side has a point to make, now you're just getting hot over nothing. Move on from the debate, or you're going to risk igniting it again.

...and completely missing the point of why we have protests and strikes in a democratic society to boot. Great.

Great quote I found on the outlandish and disproportionate response that would occur under SOPA

Oh fuck that's amazing.

That's the sort of fact that would make regular non-internet folk think twice.

While I support the opposition to the Bill, taking services away from people and saing "would you like to live in a world like this, hmmm?" is, in my book, terrorism.

Personally I'd call that a demonstration. Saying "would you like to live in a world like this?" is slightly redundant, because that's exactly the world they're aiming for. These sites are demonstrating what could happen and confronting them with the reality of their actions should the vision of their world actually come to pass.

Dan, Danny, we've conceded that either side has a point to make, now you're just getting hot over nothing. Move on from the debate, or you're going to risk igniting it again.

I really don't think this is "nothing", personally, but I've made my point.

Personally I'd call that a demonstration. Saying "would you like to live in a world like this?" is slightly redundant, because that's exactly the world they're aiming for. These sites are demonstrating what could happen and confronting them with the reality of their actions should the vision of their world actually come to pass.

And that's precisely my point.

And that's precisely my point.

Then it can't be terrorism surely, as it's showing the SOPA people what would happen as a result of their own actions, not an outside influence doing something for the sake of general intimidation.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

Then it can't be terrorism surely, as it's showing the SOPA people what would happen as a result of their own actions, not an outside influence doing something for the sake of general intimidation.

I didn't say my point would make any sense. :narrows eyes:

That is beyond brilliant. Seriously, this should be done to everyone supporting these bills.

Personally, I'm quite surprised people are only just having their feathers ruffled by this and that N-E has only just posted about it, it's been going on for a couple of weeks.

I think it's obviously ridiculous, youtube, gaming sites etc would be torn down over it all, having people who don't really use the internet to decide what happens to it seems strange to me.

Personally, I'm quite surprised people are only just having their feathers ruffled by this and that N-E has only just posted about it, it's been going on for a couple of weeks.

I think it's obviously ridiculous, youtube, gaming sites etc would be torn down over it all, having people who don't really use the internet to decide what happens to it seems strange to me.

One quote that made me facepalm epically, so much so that every single version of me in every single parallel universe that is ever to exist simultaneously facepalmed in an event which destroys the whole multiverse theory, was one of the reps during the markup essentially saying:

"I'm no expert but I believe the industry leaders are lying"

One quote that made me facepalm epically, so much so that every single version of me in every single parallel universe that is ever to exist simultaneously facepalmed in an event which destroys the whole multiverse theory, was one of the reps during the markup essentially saying:

"I'm no expert but I believe the industry leaders are lying"

Haha, lovely.

This was pretty much my only point about SOPA which obviously, many others do too. You cannot make a bill that you do not full understand the implications of, Eddie's picture not only proves the point but smashes theirs.

It's a wonderful internet world we live in and I do hope they see sense.

4.5 million people signed Google's petition.

18 senators have turned their backs on PIPA.

The last 2 democrats to support PIPA have seen the light, they were among the 18. It's now an all-Republican effort (is it just me, or does the Republican Party represent a lot of the things that are wrong with the world? Can't we just drown them and have done with it?).

This along with NDAA have been going on for quite a while without any mainstream coverage.

It's good to see people finally take note and now it looks like it's going to be shot down.

Unlike NDAA which no one gave a shit about.

"You can detain me indefinitely, but don't take away my torrents!"

This along with NDAA have been going on for quite a while without any mainstream coverage.

It's good to see people finally take note and now it looks like it's going to be shot down.

Unlike NDAA which no one gave a shit about.

"You can detain me indefinitely, but don't take away my torrents!"

Hah! Yes, indeed Wesley, I've noticed both SOPA and NDAA for a couple of weeks now at least, but it seems only the last couple of days it's really kicked off.

I was surprised that there wasn't already a thread on it. I'm sure most people on here (at least those that have posted) have been aware of it for a while. Glad to see it's losing support