NEurope
Murr

Festivals 2012

A thread to get hyped and chat about this years festivals. Which ones will you throw your money at?

Any band announcements for festivals your attending?

lets get the ball rolling...

Download 2012 - 14 bands announced last night...

downloadposter800.png

Soundgarden subbing is pretty massive, they're festival head-liner material as it is.

Part of me wants to go to Reading this year. I went up there on the Friday last year and it seemed awesome. I just can't take time off :(

Chase and Status seems like an odd choice.

I thought this too, but it's slowly making more sense.

Pendulum are on hiatus due to separate projects like Knife Party.

Chase & Status supported Prodigy at Warriors Dance festival (along with Pendulum & Enter Shikari)

Don't think Enter Shikari are big enough to sub the main stage, (although C&S I don't think are big enough either)

Machine Head are for the Friday too, so it makes sense to go MH, C&S Then Prodigy, rather than Dance act / Metal Act / Dance Act.

Metallica specifically asked for Biffy to sub, so perhaps Prodigy specifically asked for C&S to sub. Given Andy Copping's recent bookings and giving to band demands that could seem likely (AC/DC get their own stage, aren't to be included on Download official merchandise as they want to have their own tour shirts on sale etc)

But yeah definitely a brave booking choice, mixed reactions on the download forums.

Having seen them support Prodigy I personally think its a fucking brilliant booking, they are excellent live and heavier than people think.

Only problem is they collaborate with alot of people, Will Plan B really make an appearance at Download (he did at Warriors Dance Festival), and if he did, would be well received by the Download Faithful?

Honestly surprised to not see KoRn featuring Skrillex there.

Surely Machine Head are headlining the second stage, not playing under C&S? Pretty good first announcement for Download. I'd go off the strength of that. Problem is, lower down the bill Download tends to be filled with the biggest load of turd going. Their initial announcement is always awesome, the next one is usually pretty good, and from there it drops dramatically. Always puts me off going.

I'd really like to catch The Black Keys, so I'm keeping an eye out for them on a festival roster. I booked time off to see them on tour, but the stupid American date system screwed me (they're playing Notts on the 2/3/12, the 3rd of February, not the 2nd March).

Edited by McPhee

Ah I doubt I'll be going to a festival this year, or maybe even any of the next years to come heh. Saddens me but yeah, money and all that heh.

Though I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on what festivals there are in the UK? I'm only familiar with Glastonbury as my dad has been there before, but other than that I have no clue heh.

As for my taste in music, it's pretty broad, but I don't like any of the "heavy" stuff. Apart from The Prodigy on that Download list, I can already say the rest of the bands on there is not really my cup of tea. =P

Surely Machine Head are headlining the second stage, not playing under C&S? Pretty good first announcement for Download. I'd go off the strength of that. Problem is, lower down the bill Download tends to be filled with the biggest load of turd going. Their initial announcement is always awesome, the next one is usually pretty good, and from there it drops dramatically. Always puts me off going.

You would of thought, but it was on the Download Facebook, and from Mr Copping himself that the only 2nd stage headliner on that poster is YouMeAtSix.

So in that respect, there should still be some good announcements left as there are 2 2nd stage headliners to go.

Ah I doubt I'll be going to a festival this year, or maybe even any of the next years to come heh. Saddens me but yeah, money and all that heh.

Though I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on what festivals there are in the UK? I'm only familiar with Glastonbury as my dad has been there before, but other than that I have no clue heh.

As for my taste in music, it's pretty broad, but I don't like any of the "heavy" stuff. Apart from The Prodigy on that Download list, I can already say the rest of the bands on there is not really my cup of tea. =P

You may like Chase & Status, they are dancey / Dubsteppy / Drum N Basey :p

Perhaps Reading / Leeds festival would be ideal for you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_and_Leeds_Festivals_line-ups

There's quite a lot of big festivals nowadays, just off the top of my head:

Glastonbury - very varied (not on this year)

T in the Park (Scotland) - rock/varied

Isle of Wight - rock/varied

Bestival (Isle of Wight) - indie/dance

Reading/Leeds - indie/rock

V Festival (Essex/Staffordshire) - pop

Hard Rock Calling (London) - classic rock

Wireless (London) - dance/electronic

Download (Donington) - rock/metal

Sonisphere (Knebworth) - rock/metal

Oxegen (Ireland) - generally the same line-up as T in the Park

Creamfields (Liverpool) - dance

Latitude (Suffolk) - indie/world/poetry etc.

I've been to Isle of Wight every year for the last five years and will be going again this year. I go because it is my closest festival and you always get a nice varied line-up and the opportunity to see some classic bands too - headliners last year were Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters and Kasabian, this year it is Tom Petty, Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen. Usually good weather and a nice atmosphere too!

Been to Reading in the past, and although the music is usually to my tastes, the vibe of the festival isn't great. Really wanna try out Glastonbury and Bestival.

You may like Chase & Status, they are dancey / Dubsteppy / Drum N Basey :p

Perhaps Reading / Leeds festival would be ideal for you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_and_Leeds_Festivals_line-ups

Heard about 2 songs from Chase & Status and they seem ok, but not a huge fan or anything heh. =P

Reading seems to have a decent line-up (based on last year). Though for me the atmosphere is very important too. It's why I loved the two festivals here in Belgium, especially Pukkelpop. Very relaxed atmosphere. =)

There's quite a lot of big festivals nowadays, just off the top of my head:

Glastonbury - very varied (not on this year)

T in the Park (Scotland) - rock/varied

Isle of Wight - rock/varied

Bestival (Isle of Wight) - indie/dance

Reading/Leeds - indie/rock

V Festival (Essex/Staffordshire) - pop

Hard Rock Calling (London) - classic rock

Wireless (London) - dance/electronic

Download (Donington) - rock/metal

Sonisphere (Knebworth) - rock/metal

Oxegen (Ireland) - generally the same line-up as T in the Park

Creamfields (Liverpool) - dance

Latitude (Suffolk) - indie/world/poetry etc.

I've been to Isle of Wight every year for the last five years and will be going again this year. I go because it is my closest festival and you always get a nice varied line-up and the opportunity to see some classic bands too - headliners last year were Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters and Kasabian, this year it is Tom Petty, Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen. Usually good weather and a nice atmosphere too!

Been to Reading in the past, and although the music is usually to my tastes, the vibe of the festival isn't great. Really wanna try out Glastonbury and Bestival.

Ah that's a lot of festivals heh. Might look into them, thanks!

I think Glastonbury is on top of my list of festivals I'd like to go to someday, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go as Jim can't take time off as a teacher, boooh.

I definitely want to go to Download this year, I never ended up going for my 21st, so I'm going to see if I can rally the troops and go.

Chase & status was much the same when people commented about Pendulum etc it always seems odd but tends to work.

I've not really thought about anywhere else really, nothing ever appeals to me.

Just got myself a ticket to go Download with a friend. Only really got into rock/metal music the past year and a bit (and now I love it).

Never been to a festival either so I can't wait!!! :D

Don't ever want to go to an overblown three day metal festival ever again. You get so fatigued with the same stuff day after day. However, I do really want to go see this, it looks amazing:

True that, in 2010 I think when Megadeth last played, We were just all lying around in the arena and I managed to fall asleep through their set.

Not sure if it's because they were really really dull on that occasion or just the fatigue of it all.

I do love a yearly festival though, this time will be the first time I go on the Wednesday and take full advantage of the 5 day camping ticket.

Megadeth were one of the best acts at Download 2010 in my opinion, unbelievably precise and tight. I think Deftones might have been playing that same day, and that was amazing too because I was so fucking stoned. But I've had that experience, and I don't care to repeat it.

I'm really impressed with Download this year, I didn't go last year and regretted it, so I might see about going for a couple of days, my parents live down the road, so I don't think I'll camp this year.

As for other festivals, I'm in a slightly different region so I could go to Sonisphere, but I'm not really interested! It looks a bit crap!

This has piqued my interest:

sdf122ndannounce1.jpg

Taking Back Sunday, The Blackout and Hit the Lights are worth my £32.50. My only concern is that I may be the oldest person in attendance. :shakehead

I'm really impressed with Download this year, I didn't go last year and regretted it, so I might see about going for a couple of days, my parents live down the road, so I don't think I'll camp this year.

I'm not camping either, staying in a travel lodge about 10/12 miles away from Donnington Park, on the outskirts of Nottingham.

I'm not camping either, staying in a travel lodge about 10/12 miles away from Donnington Park, on the outskirts of Nottingham.

I used to stay in my car at Download, just buy the weekend arena ticket & Parking pass, then sleep in my car at night.

in 2008 & 2009 this was okay, and security patrolling the car park didn't really give a toss. however in 2010 they moved us on into the camping area even when we went back to the car to get supplies (fortunately 2010 onwards i've been camping there)

285_49624380450_607130450_3293862_6759_n.jpg.... ahh my old Corsa.

the one thing I don't like is taking a dump. Best time to go is crack of dawn as the portaloo thing's are just cleaned.

other than that on the way home we stop at the services and I spend an very long time in a cubicle releasing the weekends supplies.

@Murr Ah right, sleeping in the car was a good idea! The idea of camping isn't really doing it for me, for that reason really, oh and taking a shower, the guy i'm going with camped in 2010 and didn't like it.

We are driving down on the Thursday so we aren't setting off super early on Friday to get there and are staying in hotel Sunday night as well, expecting to be knackered!

@Murr Ah right, sleeping in the car was a good idea! The idea of camping isn't really doing it for me, for that reason really, oh and taking a shower, the guy i'm going with camped in 2010 and didn't like it.

We are driving down on the Thursday so we aren't setting off super early on Friday to get there and are staying in hotel Sunday night as well, expecting to be knackered!

Well we're heading down Wednesday, this will be the first time we've actually gone down on the Wednesday. But last time we arrived Thursday night the space was already limited to find room for tents, let alone trying to pitch 3 close together.

so get there early, get a good spot, hope the weather is nice and get the beer on.

It's like a mini summer holiday for me, Love Download weekend!

Well we're heading down Wednesday, this will be the first time we've actually gone down on the Wednesday. But last time we arrived Thursday night the space was already limited to find room for tents, let alone trying to pitch 3 close together.

so get there early, get a good spot, hope the weather is nice and get the beer on.

It's like a mini summer holiday for me, Love Download weekend!

That is the one downside that we are driving a short distance every day from the hotel... one of us can't drink during the day! (We haven't decided who is driving down yet).

But as it's my first festival i'm super excited regardless! :yay: