NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Wii Virtual Console is back from the dead!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/01/nintendo_download_19th_january_2012_europe

Wii Virtual Console

Prince of Persia (Super NES, Ubisoft, 800pts)

3DS Virtual Console

Prince of Persia (Game Boy Color, Ubisoft, £4.50/€5)

DSiWare

40-in-1 Explosive Megamix (Nordcurrent, 800pts)

Come On! Heroes (CIRCLE Entertainment, 200pts)

HALLELULIA!!! There's hope for Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, Starfox, Pilotwings 64 and Castlevania Bloodlines yet :D

I still have points to get spent but I don't think they will go on any of the above.

Mystic Quest maybe and theres always Chrono Trigger to sample that good old Woolsey translation before it got redone for CT DS.

I go away for one week and this happens?

Damn, better get reviewing! :p and it just so happens that Prince of Persia is one of my childhood favourites. :D

I'm not particularly interested in any of those but I hope it paves the way for a few more VC releases before the end of the Wii. I have 2000 points waiting to be enjoyed :heh:

Woah, holy shit they weren't kidding! The VC really IS back from the dead!

The March lineup is HUGE!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/02/european_virtual_console_set_for_bumper_march_crop

29th February 2012 – This March is set to be the biggest month ever for Virtual Console as Nintendo announces a bumper crop of classic games set to launch via the Nintendo eShop and Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo 3DS owners can look forward to replaying classic NES, Game Boy and for the first time ever SEGA Game Gear titles from some of the platform’s most famous franchises. Meanwhile Wii owners can download games from three different classic consoles including some of Capcom and SEGA’s finest throughout the month.

The month of March heralds a wide range of interesting games to download including a chance to replay where it all began for Samus Aran when the original Metroid from the NES becomes available to download on your Nintendo 3DS. Those of you who are looking forward to the upcoming release of Kid Icarus™: Uprising can download the Game Boy title, Kid Icarus™ Of Myths and Monsters allowing Nintendo 3DS owners to become better acquainted with the angelic angel Pit and his action-packed adventures!

Dust off your stethoscope and get ready for some pill arranging action with the classic Game Boy puzzler Dr Mario™, finally arriving to the Nintendo eShop. March will also see the long awaited arrival of the classic SEGA Game Gear line-up including Dragon Crystal™, Shinobi™ and Sonic the Hedgehog™: Triple Trouble.

Wii owners are in for a treat this month when Mega Man X and Mega Man 5 become available on Wii Virtual Console and Super Street Fighter 2 is the first Virtual Console title with Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection functionality which allows fans of the legendary fighting franchise to challenge each other online. You will be treated to even more of history’s best 2D fighting and sidescrolling action in Strider and Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa’s Revenge respectively.

The month of Virtual Console will kick off this week with two NES classics in the form of the original Super Mario Bros.™ and Punch-Out!!™, both available via the Nintendo eShop. Mario and Luigi have been rescuing princesses and battling Bowser for over 25 years and you now have the chance to play the ultimate classic on your Nintendo 3DS.

Full List:

Wii Virtual Console

Super Street Fighter II (Mega Drive) — Online Play enabled

Strider (Mega Drive)

Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge (Neo Geo)

Mega Man 5 (NES)

Mega Man X (SNES)

3DS Virtual Console

Dr. Mario (Game Boy)

Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Game Boy)

Punch-Out!! (NES)

Super Mario Bros. (NES)

Dragon Crystal (Game Gear)

Shinobi (Game Gear)

Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (Game Gear)

US Wii owners am cry :cry: UK 3DS owners however... :yay:

Edited by Dcubed

Might buy Mega Man X, will buy Kid Icarus and probably Sonic. Nice to see the Wii VC alive again.

I'm reluctant to buy anything wii ware until we know what's happening with Nintendo Network, I want to play all my stuff on the Wii u too. I'm certain it will happen but I want to make sure. I also think all NES games should be playable on the 3DS? The fact punch out and mario bros are on both services pisses me off a little. Nintendo need to compete with iOS (whether they think they do or not), Sony are offering games that work on ps3 and vita and NIntendo really need to start doing this, they would see a massive rise in VC, e-shop, wiiware sales I'm sure!

I'm reluctant to buy anything wii ware until we know what's happening with Nintendo Network, I want to play all my stuff on the Wii u too. I'm certain it will happen but I want to make sure. I also think all NES games should be playable on the 3DS? The fact punch out and mario bros are on both services pisses me off a little. Nintendo need to compete with iOS (whether they think they do or not), Sony are offering games that work on ps3 and vita and NIntendo really need to start doing this, they would see a massive rise in VC, e-shop, wiiware sales I'm sure!

Nintendo Network is the replacement for Nintendo Wifi Connection (online play) and has nothing to do with the eShop.

Yes it sucks that they're not allowing cross platform purchases since everyone else does it. I can see why they might not want to do it though because of the way they do VC emulation compared to other platforms (a unique emulator is coded for each game, meaning that significant emulation work is put into each invividual release. The added QA and dev costs for each game might discourage them from doing this).

Still, they should at least offer a discount for people who already own the Wii VC version. That should be easily doable and is still fair compensation for the dev work that goes into the 3DS VC version!

I'll be all over Megaman X! It's my favourite MM game and I have fond memories from playing it back on my SNES.

Good stuff. :hehe: I've a bunch of points still to spend on the VC (and on DSiWare too when I think of it...) so its nice to see some new software coming. I'd be tempted with that edition of Street Fighter II since they added online but I'll give it a miss as I got one of the older versions already. If only I could trade it... I'd have already traded it back for the points. :heh:

I still hope they give us the Puyo Puyo with online that Japan got.

There's still life in the old dog yet it seems!

Really glad they've put the demoes back up in the WiiWare section, and it's good to see more titles being added to the Virtual Console.

Woah! That came out of nowhere!

Super Hang-on is coming out this week! (Yeah only almost 2 years after its Japanese VC release, but it got there in the end!)

Also, 3DS gets Game & Watch Gallery 2 this week :yay:

Super Hang-On for the Wii is great news especially as it's the arcade version but Hang-On a minute... 900 Wii points? :blank:

When you consider that there's a three game collection just around the corner for XBLA entitled 'Alex Kid & Co' which includes Alex Kid, Revenge of Shinobi AND Super Hang-On all of which have been redone with new features all for what will certainly be no more than 1200 msp I can't help but feel that we're getting a little bit of a raw deal there. :wink:

I was expecting Super Hang-On for the Mega Drive at some point for 800 Points but I could certainly be tempted into downloading this as I have good memories of the game, particular some of the music :hehe:

How does the arcade version differ from the Mega Drive game..?

Super Hang-On for the Wii is great news especially as it's the arcade version but Hang-On a minute... 900 Wii points? :blank:

When you consider that there's a three game collection just around the corner for XBLA entitled 'Alex Kid & Co' which includes Alex Kid, Revenge of Shinobi AND Super Hang-On all of which have been redone with new features all for what will certainly be no more than 1200 msp I can't help but feel that we're getting a little bit of a raw deal there. :wink:

Yup, I feel the same. XBLA version it is. :D

YES! Super Hang On is coming to the US Wii VC this week!

Finally! Something new on the Wii VC for me to buy! :yay:

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/05/03/more-sega-classics-for-virtual-console/

The day has finally come! SEGA have posted US release dates for Monster World Arcade and Monster World 4 on VC!

Both are coming on May 10th, that's next week!!!! (I'm sure the EU release will be on the same day, if not a week after, going by Super Hang On)

2 VC games in one day!? Have I died and gone to heaven!? (Evidently I have, because VVVVVV comes out that day as well! THAT'S 3 GAMES TO BUY NEXT WEEK!!!! :yay: )

See Nintendo, see now THIS is the kind of release schedule that you SHOULD be having all the time!

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/05/03/more-sega-classics-for-virtual-console/

The day has finally come! SEGA have posted US release dates for Monster World Arcade and Monster World 4 on VC!

Both are coming on May 10th, that's next week!!!!

Once again I almost hate to do this but XBLA is getting a Monster World compilation which includes Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Monster World AND Monster World IV all for only 800 MSP... :blank:

It's still a joy that that the games are getting released of course but assuming that the collection gets released in the same week - which may happen - then I'll be going for the collection, I'll still be reviewing the games either way but when its a choice between getting one game for 800 and all three it almost seems like a no-brainer especially if you want them all. :D

Once again I almost hate to do this but XBLA is getting a Monster World compilation which includes Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Monster World AND Monster World IV all for only 800 MSP... :blank:

It's still a joy that that the games are getting released of course but assuming that the collection gets released in the same week - which may happen - then I'll be going for the collection, I'll still be reviewing the games either way but when its a choice between getting one game for 800 and all three it almost seems like a no-brainer especially if you want them all. :D

Going by the emulation quality of past 360 retro titles (and the Sega Vintage Collection), I'd stay far away from the 360 version.

Buyer beware, until we hear impressions at least.

Did you download Super Hang-On, @Dcubed..?

I had great fun with the Mega Drive version at a friend's house when I was younger but wasn't sure if I'd buy the Virtual Console release for 900 points or leave it alone as I have a version on GBA and wouldn't particularly like my memories to be tarnished if it wasn't quite as fun as I remembered..

..but I downloaded it last weekend and I still love it :yay: It's my first Virtual Console 'Arcade' game so I was actually surprised to see that you could map the controls to your own preference. I've embrace using the Wii Remote tilt to steer with 2 to Accelerate, 1 to brake and A to boost. There's a serious rush of adrenaline when you're holding down the turbo for long stretches of the road.. it feels so good :hehe:

Did you download Super Hang-On, @Dcubed..?

I had great fun with the Mega Drive version at a friend's house when I was younger but wasn't sure if I'd buy the Virtual Console release for 900 points or leave it alone as I have a version on GBA and wouldn't particularly like my memories to be tarnished if it wasn't quite as fun as I remembered..

..but I downloaded it last weekend and I still love it :yay: It's my first Virtual Console 'Arcade' game so I was actually surprised to see that you could map the controls to your own preference. I've embrace using the Wii Remote tilt to steer with 2 to Accelerate, 1 to brake and A to boost. There's a serious rush of adrenaline when you're holding down the turbo for long stretches of the road.. it feels so good :hehe:

Yeah, I got it. There's actually quite a few VCA games that have extra control options like that. Space Harrier VCA lets you use the Nunchuck's motion controls to simulate an arcade joystick for instance, while Starglider (JPN only) lets you use the Wiimote's pointer to shoot!

Overall, the rules on VCA games are much more lax (probably since each game runs on custom hardware, they let publishers handle their own emulation)

The feel of adrenaline is something that SEGA's arcade titles really got down pat. The arcade is really where SEGA were at their very best, and Super Hang On is no exception. A shame that the original Hang On isn't available, but I suppose my copy of Shenmue will suffice for now.

Speaking of which, even if you've never played any of the other Monster World games before, you MUST pick up MW4. Seeing a classic like this finally get the localisation it deserved, in its original form that it would've been released in, is a momentous occasion and a huge step forward for video game archival in general (Plus the game is fantastic too! :D )

I can only pray that its success will encourage the localisation of other preciously JPN only retro games like the first 6 Fire Emblems, Marvelous, Mother 3 and Seiken Densetsu 3.

Edited by Dcubed

I don't think I'm particularly interested in Moster World IV, @Dcubed :hmm: What makes it so good?

It's a really great action/RPG platformer. While it ditches the metroidvania structure of past MW titles, it retains that blend of platforming and combat and gives it more depth. Think of it as a bit like Shantae, Zelda 2 or Faxanadu but with linear stages.

Great level design, tight controls, really nice music, colourful characters (both in the literal and metaphorical sense!) and a lot of heart.

Sign in to follow this