NEurope
Ashley

Moving House

I did a combination of all three of those things, yes.

Problem is I don't know what to keep and what to bin... For example I have a small tower of sketchbooks which I obviously won't really use anymore, but I don't want to throw them away either...

And I have also kept all the concert and festival tickets from the ones I've been to. Basically just pieces of paper, but again I don't want to throw it outttt.

*is a pack rat*

We're dreadful. We accumulate so much crap it's unreal. I would advise you to leave as much stuff as you can at your mom's if you can persuade her. Put it in storage boxes and put it in her attic/cellar/garage/wherever. There's no point taking stuff you dont need, like childhood memories, photos, toys etc.

Ultimately you will gather more and more stuff anyway, so unless it is needed/really special to you, i wouldn't take it. If it does come to binning stuff, be ruthless, else you will waste your time with little result!

If you really have the drive, you can take some stuff to car boot sales, charity shops or even sell online.

The problem is our attic is already so full we can't put anything else up there heh. Most of this stuff isn't worth anything, just has emotional value. But I know I can't put it away in my new flat.

I'm going to try and persuade my mom to let me keep a bit of storage space in my room to stuff away all the things I don't want to get rid of yet heh.

I actually wanted to give away my old model train and the houses I made for it, but then my mom said she wanted to keep it. She can't make up her mind either. =P

Edited by Eenuh
Automerged Doublepost

I'm a bit of a pack rat too, but I'm also starting to realise the freedom of simply having less stuff. Feels good sometimes, to let go of things.

Think about why you're hanging on to things and if you're ever really going to get them out again, or hand them down or anything like that. You'll probably find yourself admitting that they will just gather dust indefinitely.

I love throwing stuff away.

Pretty much everything I own back home has been thrown away.

I've not needed/missed it for 3 years while being at uni... so...?

It's great.

*throws away everything*

Dear god, I'm trying to do more packing, but at the moment I'm at a bit of a loss. I have soooooooooooo many things stuffed in my room, mostly art supplies and drawings/art school assignments... and I have no clue what to do with it all.

My mom kinda wants me to empty my room as much as possible, but I have no idea where I'm gonna leave all this stuff. And I don't have the heart to throw some of it out, especially my drawings and art stuff. But I also won't have the room to put it away in my new flat... =(

What did/do some of you guys do with your belongings? Bin it? Leave it in your old room? Move it all over to your new place?

I used to be like this, but after moving SO many times, you realise it's easier to get rid.

As far as art stuff goes, I've kept my favourite sketchbook and paintings etc. I allowed myself 1 plastic box for all my art stuff. Everything else I just binned, memories are nice, but keep them limited to make way for new ones :). I take all my books with me though. They look nice in my bookcases.

Oh also, every time I move, I put all my old clothes that I no longer wear in a bag for the charity shop.

You've got to imagine the place you're moving to. What do you want it to look like? What do you want to have in it?

Got 2 house viewings this weekend, a 4 bed place with on suite, utility room, kitchen /diner in one.

and a 3 bed which I prefer the look of just based on location alone, but obviously time will tell when I actually see them specifically on Saturday.

looking forward to it. And our house is being valued on the last weekend of February. So gotta get painting in my spare time.

I used to be like this, but after moving SO many times, you realise it's easier to get rid.

As far as art stuff goes, I've kept my favourite sketchbook and paintings etc. I allowed myself 1 plastic box for all my art stuff. Everything else I just binned, memories are nice, but keep them limited to make way for new ones :). I take all my books with me though. They look nice in my bookcases.

Oh also, every time I move, I put all my old clothes that I no longer wear in a bag for the charity shop.

You've got to imagine the place you're moving to. What do you want it to look like? What do you want to have in it?

I have two or three boxes full of art stuff (just supplies) which I won't throw out. It would cost a small fortune to replace all of those things and I will still need them anyway!

As for drawings etc, I'm only taking finished works with me for my portfolio, but I won't throw out any of my sketchbooks. It's not just for memory's sake, but for inspiration. Sometimes it helps me to go through them to get some new ideas for drawings.

I did already go through my clothes and got a big basket full of clothes I'll be giving away. I could probably still get rid of some more but then different people tell me to keep this and to keep that. =P

Also my parents keep giving me stuff saying "you might be able to use this". They are not helpful haha.

I barely keep anything these days, since uni I pretty much have lived out of my car, so I've tried to keep as little stuff as possible.

Can you not have things like sketchbooks posted over?

So yesterday we saw another very nice house. It's in Hunter's Bar. We're going to make them a lower offer as we think ?625/month is very pricey for unfurnished.

blundells_NeillRoad6_IMG_00.jpg

Front of the house, although we'd used the back door to enter.

blundells_NeillRoad6_IMG_01.jpg

91868_000090150_IMG_03_0000_max_620x414.jpg

blundells_NeillRoad6_IMG_02.jpg

91868_000090150_IMG_01_0000_max_620x414.jpg

blundells_NeillRoad6_IMG_05.jpg

91868_000090150_IMG_08_0000_max_620x414.jpg

91868_000090150_IMG_09_0000_max_620x414.jpg

I've had a look around my area. Nowhere in my budget allows pets, and I'd be looking at an extra ?100 a month (I'm currently paying ?300) for anywhere else in the area.

I'm fine where I am. Besides, the pet thing was the only reason I was looking anyway.

I'll see if I can explain in detail the kind of cat I want (it will be indoor only, so it really should not affect the sandwich place downstairs at all - I don't see any way it would) and try to negotiate, offering to sign a 12-month contract.

I'm pretty much looking into moving further into town. Unfortunately Cambridge is really expensive, as much as I genuinely have a good deal here, I've always wanted my own place.

It's a pain in the ass, hmmf.

I'll see if I can explain in detail the kind of cat I want (it will be indoor only, so it really should not affect the sandwich place downstairs at all - I don't see any way it would) and try to negotiate, offering to sign a 12-month contract.

I failed to do the same for a pet hamster but good luck :)

My plan is to talk to the people in the shop/the landlord first - the letting agency say they don't have a problem with it themselves, just that the landlord said "no" - and explain that the pet will always be in my area (as it's an indoor cat) and there's no way it should affect the place downstairs.

If I can convince them, it should be enough.

91868_000090150_IMG_08_0000_max_620x414.jpg

Dat loft...

Very nice, how many bedrooms?

Also, on a nosier level: I was going to buy that multicoloured knife set in their kitchen set but it has meagre reviews :p

Edited by Shorty

Dat loft...

Very nice, how many bedrooms?

Also, on a nosier level: I was going to buy that multicoloured knife set in their kitchen set but it has meagre reviews :p

2 bed. The loft had a really nice radiator. That sounds a bit daft, but it looked really fancy!

They refused our offer, they didn't even bother calling back to let us know. Then today we heard that it's been 'reserved'.

They are nice, I've seen quite a few brands that do the same sort of thing. @Dan Dare and I really wanted the JosephJoseph multicoloured 'elevate' utensils, but after reading some reviews, we've been put off.

After what has been a manic few weeks, we've got our house spick and spam are having it valued this weekend.

We've also gone for a 2nd viewing (yeah we're cool) at a house we really like...

4 bed house.

11.jpg

It's just had its price dropped from ?190,000 to ?172,000. The current owners are desperate to sell.

The shitter is that we can't put any offers down till our place is sold, Once it is we'll have ?40k for a deposit, and been told we can borrow up to ?187k, so we're all good, but can't do anything till we've sold our place.

House valuation was done on Saturday,

Very happy with the result, our Agreement in principle to borrow was based on our house being valued at £110k,

Well the valuation was £135k, Amazing news for us. Really is, a house literally across the road from us which was similar size, but with smaller garden, sold for £130k, it was on the market for 4 weeks.

Really hope we can get a turn around that quick.

Edited by Murr

House will officially be on the market by tonight.

The house we like is still on the market.

Just hope our place gets a quick sell.

I want to buy a house in London but it's so expensive. I may cry.

I have officially moved into my (and Jim's) flat! =D

It was a loooooong and exhausting weekend. But thanks to the help of my parents (who drove all the way here with me and all my stuff loaded into a van), things are now looking very nice.

The flat was a bit empty before, but I've filled it up with all my stuff and some extra furniture, which my parents paid for. Thank you mom and dad! I now have my very own, biiiiiig wardrobe haha. And a desk to work on! =D

It was a loooooong and exhausting weekend. But thanks to the help of my parents (who drove all the way here with me and all my stuff loaded into a van), things are now looking very nice.

The flat was a bit empty before, but I've filled it up with all my stuff and some extra furniture, which my parents paid for. Thank you mom and dad! I now have my very own, biiiiiig wardrobe haha. And a desk to work on! =D

Yay! Yay for your parents, too :yay: I bet your artistic temperament will transform the place to a cosy, charming home soon! Post some pictures when you're all moved in! :D

Yay! Enjoy sunny bournemouth. The first thing you should do is get a whippy ice cream and watch the sea, even if it is freezing cold.

So we're still looking for a house!

We nearly went for a wonderful 3 bed in Greystones, unfortunately the price was just a little too high.

After posting an ad on gumtree, I received an email about a property in Crookes. It's not exactly were we want to be, but the photos look amazing.

It's offered at £600 unfurnished, or £675 furnished. We'd be going for the cheaper option, is it all a bit too good to be true?

DSC_0395.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l526/emmajparr/Everyday%20Stuff/DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0415.jpg