NEurope
Ashley

Moving House

Oh he said SIX figures?

I had it in my head it was like five figures.

Dunno why (I do, I'm tired and tired some more).

Holy shit dude.

Pokemon really pays.

To think all this time I was selling drugs...

My savings aren't from Pokémon things but my freelance work lol. Web design work really does pay!

Six figure savings and you're worried you might start struggling financially when you move out?

Do me a favour. I barely had a 4 figure sum when I moved out and managed fine. I would be living the dream with six figure sum. Damn man. Good luck to ya though. Would love to have that kind of money to start off in life. Mental.

128740557337317788.jpg

You have SIX FIGURE SAVINGS. What the shitting ballfuck are you on about? I'm sorry, but if you think that's a genuine concern then...I dunno. You crazy brah. I've moved out and you know how much I have in the bank? £422. That's fuck all, and I'm spending loads going out for meals, going on trips and buying a massive TV and other stuff for the flat. Now, granted, I'm not living alone, but I'm independent, have my own place and I have nothing to worry about. You could BUY A HOUSE and still be better off than me with that kind of money.

Look, my family really struggled in the early 90s and we almost lost the house and everything similar to that. I want to make sure that this will not be an issue as much as possible and once I move out, when I have to start dealing with Council Tax, Insurance, Utility Bills etc, it will become harder to save up and put me at greater risk.

Plus, houses down here aren't cheap. My current savings would get me a meager dwelling

Dude, if you're not secure with more than £100,000 in the bank, when will you be? Even from that surely you can put down 80K deposit, get a mortgage and STILL have more left, in capital, than I'll earn before tax in an entire year.

Living independently costs money. It's how the world works and the sooner you just accept that and move on with your life the better. I mean, I'm 25 same as you and I've only just moved out so I get it- my parents didn't kick me out and I was more than welcome to stay but it's something you have to do. I was comfortable and could have stayed to save up - It's just more important that you take that step by yourself. Carpe Diem n all that.

Oh Serebii. You are the epitome of the first world problem.

"I only have 6 figures saved up, I don't want to buy a house because then I'd have to pay utility bills".

While the rest of us are burning away money on rent, or trying desperately to scrape together £15-30k for a deposit on a mortgage, at which point we will be completely devoid of any financial security in the form of savings for several years.

Quit complaining, you are in the N-Europe 1%.

Along with Will.

You could so easily get a house though. Just go to the bank for a loan or something. My sister has built a house with her partner which cost at least €250000, if not more. And they definitely didn't have any of that money saved, no 6 figures in their bank account heh.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about if you have that much money put aside. =P

Serebii has his own agenda; it's his money to be spent or saved as he wishes, leave him alone everyone :p

--

I currently live with my sister. However she's decide to defer this year, which throws my plans of continuing to live there for another year off. So...idk. I could advertise for a housemate, but I find living with people who aren't family horrendously inconvenient. This place is pretty much perfect too, the cleanest house I've lived in since I moved out :/ BUT this could be a good thing, as I can relocate closer to where I'll be working (rent in that area is less as well) without having to consider my sister.

Another thing is that I don't want to move from place to place to place. That's not who I am. I want to get a place and nest. I'm in it for the long haul

Be honest. You're saving up for a large house with a secret underground genetics lab so you can create real Pokémon.

If you don't mind me asking, Serebii, what do you do for a living? (Anything other than Serebii.net?)

If you don't mind me asking, Serebii, what do you do for a living? (Anything other than Serebii.net?)

I do various freelance work. Magazine work and web design work. Web design pays the best

Be honest. You're saving up for a large house with a secret underground genetics lab so you can create real Pokémon.

Nope. Way off. It's for my tests on messing with space-time

Along with Will.

HA! I'm nowhere near this guy, mainly because I moved out at 18 and got on with living life though.

@Serebii, I do see where you're coming from, wanting to save up and be 100% secure when you finally move out. But while you're doing that things are passing you by and you're just hanging out with your Mom not getting any. You're going to be totally fine on the money front, if you've managed to save that much money by 25 you've obviously been earning a hell of a lot - it's not like that is going to dry up because you live on your own.

It's about life experience, dealing with things yourself, finding out how the world really works. So much more to it than freedom/independence. I had two friends that were just like you, they had similar issues that you have etc. They both moved out on there own and things improved dramatically for both of them as soon as they took the step to get on with things.

If I met a girl who had $$$$ in the bank and lived at home I would think there was something off about her, it's just a bit weird.

But while you're doing that things are passing you by and you're just hanging out with your Mom not getting any.

Well actually...

Clearly you don't know his parents.

They're very relaxed.

very relaxed.

@Serebii' date=' I do see where you're coming from, wanting to save up and be 100% secure when you finally move out. But while you're doing that things are passing you by and you're just hanging out with your Mom not getting any. You're going to be totally fine on the money front, if you've managed to save that much money by 25 you've obviously been earning a hell of a lot - it's not like that is going to dry up because you live on your own.

It's about life experience, dealing with things yourself, finding out how the world really works. So much more to it than freedom/independence. I had two friends that were just like you, they had similar issues that you have etc. They both moved out on there own and things improved dramatically for both of them as soon as they took the step to get on with things.

If I met a girl who had $$$$ in the bank and lived at home I would think there was something off about her, it's just a bit weird.[/quote']

There's an implication here that living with my parents hinders me socially. It doesn't at all. If I moved out, I'd just be doing the exact stuff I'm doing now, just paying a lot more for it...

@Dan Dare and I went to look round a 'coach house' yesterday. We had a second viewing this morning. I've fallen in love but Dan isn't so sure.

What do you guys think?

It's a coach house just outside of Sheffield, right where we want to be. THe driveway is completely private and the original gate is mostly closed off.

420166_10151219695420144_799685143_22358719_740882776_n.jpg

Living room with wood burning stove. Theres an original stone sink to the right of the fireplace. The stable door opens up to outside, but the main entrance is round the side.

IMG_9988.jpg

Kitchen and dining area, with stairs up to the master bedroom

IMG_1314.jpg

Stained glass windows at the top! They said we could bring our own sofas in.

IMG_2279.jpg

Bedroom up the steps. That's a super king size mattress. There's about double to space behind me as well.

IMG_5107.jpg

More bedroom space.

IMG_5288.jpg

Through the bedroom there is a gallery balcony, which overlooks the living room, it could be used for a book corner/ study space.

IMG_6326-1.jpg

The balcony overlooking the living area, yep.. that's a chandelier.

IMG_8393.jpg

Balcony again with a photo of the ceiling.

IMG_3606.jpg

Didn't get a photo of the toilet, but it's on the ground floor by the entrance with shower - we don't want a bath.

There's a cute brick storage room outside (very nice) which stores the washer, tumble drier and freezer, plus room for a few more things.

There's also a south facing garden (that needs a bit of work) but it's completely private.

So, it's 10 minutes walk to work for Dan, in the area we want to be. No agents fees, lovely landlord and it's only £595 a month. This includes internet, water rates AND council tax.

Edited by Emma

£595 for that lovely building? I'm paying £375 for a shitty bedroom, which I have paint peeling off, plasterboard missing and have had mushrooms growing in my carpet, in a 5 bed shared house, which doesn't include any bills, not even water. Of course you should take it.

That place has a lot of character! Looks lovely to me. And for that price with all those things included... damn!

But of course you both have to be sure about the place, otherwise one might regret it afterwards.

It has so much character! But then technically it's a studio because there's no 'door' between the living area and main bedroom.

moved house 2 weeks ago. Me, girlfriend and our 1 year old used to live in a 2 bedroom first floor flat which was a pain in the arse as had to carry the baby down the stairs to go and and making sure the safety gate was always closed....also parking was shite and had no back garden.

NOW 2 months ago i got made permenent where i work so im taking home alot more money so we have now moved to a 3 bedroom house with a drive and nice garden etc.

o and with the savings thing i WISH i saved for deposit in my early 20's instead of pi**ing it away on booze and random crap. If had over 100 grand in bank thou i would be heading straight down the nearest aston martin garage thou lol

Dear god, I'm trying to do more packing, but at the moment I'm at a bit of a loss. I have soooooooooooo many things stuffed in my room, mostly art supplies and drawings/art school assignments... and I have no clue what to do with it all.

My mom kinda wants me to empty my room as much as possible, but I have no idea where I'm gonna leave all this stuff. And I don't have the heart to throw some of it out, especially my drawings and art stuff. But I also won't have the room to put it away in my new flat... =(

What did/do some of you guys do with your belongings? Bin it? Leave it in your old room? Move it all over to your new place?

What did/do some of you guys do with your belongings? Bin it? Leave it in your old room? Move it all over to your new place?

We're dreadful. We accumulate so much crap it's unreal. I would advise you to leave as much stuff as you can at your mom's if you can persuade her. Put it in storage boxes and put it in her attic/cellar/garage/wherever. There's no point taking stuff you dont need, like childhood memories, photos, toys etc.

Ultimately you will gather more and more stuff anyway, so unless it is needed/really special to you, i wouldn't take it. If it does come to binning stuff, be ruthless, else you will waste your time with little result!

If you really have the drive, you can take some stuff to car boot sales, charity shops or even sell online.