NEurope
Ashley

Moving House

£100 for mortgage protection is expensive. Mortgage advisors make their money by selling expensive protection. You should check out other options. Martin Lewis' website is a good source.

You should also check what it covers. They often have a lot of clauses which enable them to get out of it (such as pre-existing medical conditions and so on).

yeah they make you pay extortionate amounts and stick the finger in your face when you really really need help.... like most insurance plans...

Ah the joys of mortgages, I seriously doubt I'll have one of those for a long while.

Currently not moving, there's too much going on and after having to fork out on my car with most of my savings, it's pretty much taken a back seat.

Not to mention, a decent sized one bedroom place is anything between 500-700, which is why currently I'm sat very jealous of Emma and Dan, I'd give a right arm to pay for a flat now in Sheffield! Le sigh! :P

First, get a job and save up a deposit. Look for places within your budget. View places. Sign a lease. Rent place. Live there. :)

If you're stuck for jobs, do a course/get more qualifications? Do you have a degree?

I don't have a degree no.

I'm currently for work.

I have some call centre experience, that's about it.

I was thinking of doing a degree in Computer Science a couple of years ago, don't know if it's still worth it.

I don't have a degree no.

I'm currently for work.

I have some call centre experience, that's about it.

I was thinking of doing a degree in Computer Science a couple of years ago, don't know if it's still worth it.

It's definitely still worth it if you can afford to do the course, unless the tech bubble suddenly bursts within the next few years. Here, it pretty much guarantees a job after graduation - or even before (1-year internships).

It's definitely still worth it if you can afford to do the course, unless the tech bubble suddenly bursts within the next few years. Here, it pretty much guarantees a job after graduation - or even before (1-year internships).

The real problem is that my maths isn't very good.

Sorry for going off topic; I'll have to do some research.

The real problem is that my maths isn't very good.

Sorry for going off topic; I'll have to do some research.

Hmm, how not-good are you talking about? I'm not good at maths either, but I still managed to get my degree after failing an introductory calculus class twice :woops: Obviously, that's not ideal, but you can get through it by working hard and being competent at every other skill and aspect involved, and being genuinely interested in the subject. That said, it might feel like an uphill struggle sometimes, but the difficult things in life are the ones which are worth doing.

--

To get back on topic...does anyone actually own their house, or is everyone just renting? It seems like a scary move to me, I can't fathom how much you would need to have saved. I hate being tied down to anything too, and my parents are struggling with mortgages since the recession, so it puts me off the idea of loans and stuff. I prefer (house-like) apartments to houses, anyway. Less maintenance.

Not really discussing it seriously as I'm not even financially independent yet, just wondering :)

We went to view three properties today.

The first we really liked and while the 2nd (my) bedroom was a bit smaller than I'd like when I move out I won't need to live in my bedroom so its not so bad. Picture:

f82d5a7b772938dad93702c52e647cfe0a651e27.jpg

The second was weird. It was a large square room with an island for the kitchen and bathroom in the middle. It was a studio but she said "oh you can split it up". No.

The third was really nice. I didn't like the 2nd bedroom because the bed was a small 'floor' build off the ground. Like a bunkbed without the lower bunk. It was too close to the ceiling (but had to be because of the door). Other than that it was amazing. Had a huge roof terrace. £60k over what we said.

Problem is housemate's parents are financing quite a bit so it relies on her mother's mood and she seems pretty annoyed most of the time lately which doesn't help speed things along.

We went to view three properties today.

The first we really liked and while the 2nd (my) bedroom was a bit smaller than I'd like when I move out I won't need to live in my bedroom so its not so bad. Picture:

f82d5a7b772938dad93702c52e647cfe0a651e27.jpg

There's no lights in the ceiling!

Me and @Dan Dare looked round a house yesterday. It's at Hunter's Bar. Right where we want to be:

107868159.jpg

107868279.jpg

107868337.jpg

107868423.jpg

The photos don't do the place justice.

There's real wood floors, a working victorian fireplace, stone tiles in the bathroom and a spiral staircase up to the attic. There's a lovely kitchen and the surfaces are all wooden too. Th

It's also south facing, and the living room faces onto the garden (through them lovely doors). The street the house is on is also cobbled and very private, yet in a great area.

They're asking £600 a month unfurnished for it. The only downside is we'd find it tricky fitting a table in there :-/.

There's no lights in the ceiling!

The black things running along the walls serve as lights, its just the current owner hasn't put any bulbs in (for some reason). Although during the day it's pretty well lit from the outside with the numerous frosted glass blocks that surround the room (that particular room is completely exposed to the outside).

What's the green thing in that bathroom and why has it got pillows in?

I've just about given up on the idea of moving, i know i'm still living at home but with this day and age of temporary work, unless i find a group of people i can move in with, i got no chance really.

Planning on moving out in the next couple of years. Don't want to rent as I feel that's wasted money.

My plan is to buy a house and have some friends rent some rooms in it and use that to pay the mortgage, but without that I still make more than enough to make decent payments. I have a few that said they might, though one is on a maybe because he's thinking of uni here (he lives elsewhere atm) but may go elsewhere and others are getting serious with their significant others

Going to have one problem though. I'm self employed and single and that will no doubt count against me :( Part of me thinks I should save up until I have enough for the house without a mortgage, but that'd end up with me staying at home until I'm like 34 which is unacceptable lol

Edited by Serebii

It can be like a game for the rest of the forum. Which will Serebii do first? End the dry spell, or save up enough to buy a house?

Place your bets!

My plan is to save for now, as I have a grand total of £0 saved. :heh: For 10 months, I was renting a flat with my gf, but she went back to college and I lost my job, so I had to move back to my parents around October. Plus I owe family members a shitload of money, so I have to pay that back, making saving difficult. I do have my job back, but it's still only contract work (three month rolling), and I'll only get around £940ish after tax... :/

Going to have one problem though. I'm self employed and single and that will no doubt count against me :( Part of me thinks I should save up until I have enough for the house without a mortgage, but that'd end up with me staying at home until I'm like 34 which is unacceptable lol

Yeah but if you have a good credit rating and a significant deposit then you should be able to get one fairly easily. Currently they're giving great mortgages to people with good deposits.

Spoke to a mortgage advisor today! Felt so grown up :p

Checking into joint mortgages and what would happen when, down the line, we'd go our separate ways. She said it would be fine as long as its all amicable (which it would be) and basically my friend would either have to get someone else in there or remortgage under her own name alone.

Something to mull over. Didn't tell my friend as I want to consider it first but I have kind of fallen in love with that place I posted above.

That place looks awesome, Ashley. Was the rest of it as snazzy as the pic? I would really like to live somewhere like that.

That place looks awesome' date=' Ashley. Was the rest of it as snazzy as the pic? I would really like to live somewhere like that.[/quote']

80281_all_chpk3653824_IMG_05.jpg?1316184571

80281_SS_chpk3653824_IMG_06_0000_max_620x414.jpg

80281_all_chpk3653824_IMG_02.jpg?1316184564

Yeah but if you have a good credit rating and a significant deposit then you should be able to get one fairly easily. Currently they're giving great mortgages to people with good deposits.

Yeah, I have a spotless credit rating and a significant deposit (I have six figure savings but want to double what I have before I go out and get a house so not all of my savings go to the deposit) so I should be fine.

I can't go into the bank without them wanting to discuss mortgages with me

And where's the obligatory stonking tv gonna go?!

It'll be staying in the flat for now' date=' someone else signed for the house before us :(.

What's the green thing in that bathroom and why has it got pillows in?

Not a clue, it wasn't in there when we looked around, all the furnishings had changed (for the better)!

The flat is very nice, it's unique and there's plenty of space for buying stuff. I'd say go for it :)

Yeah, I have a spotless credit rating and a significant deposit (I have six figure savings but want to double what I have before I go out and get a house so not all of my savings go to the deposit) so I should be fine.

I can't go into the bank without them wanting to discuss mortgages with me

You've got THAT much money and you haven't moved out yet? I'm surprised your parents haven't already kicked you out.