NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Goafer

Business Cards

Anyone have their own? I know at least 2 people here do. Facebook are giving away free cards based on your timeline banner, but that's no good for me since it puts your Facebook address on there and that's not what I want. So I thought I'd make my own:

Front:

BusinessCardFrontCensored.jpg

Back:

BusinessCardBack.jpg

I'm not sure on the picture of me, but I do feel it necessary to have one.

Any opinions?

DEFINITELY change the picture of you. Have one, but not that one. Lowers the tone of the rest, which looks really nice. Have it more straightfoward/business-like. That looks like its from down the pub, or like it's from a meme or putting random faces in a box or something. Dunno if that makes sense. It doesn't fit tonally.

Some suggestions:

Lose the photo of you, it's totally unnecessary, and no one (who knows what they're doing) has their photo on their business card. If you insist on having one, as Paj says DEFINITELY don't use that shot of you. But I really would suggest you don't put one at all.

Also lose the small logo on the photo side. It's overkill, ruins the photo and is pointless when you have it in big on the reverse.

The image of me is more of a placeholder for now I think. I'd like a picture of me in my suit, but not too formal. I might get another one taken. Not sure.

Lose the photo of you, it's totally unnecessary, and no one (who knows what they're doing) has their photo on their business card.

Actually, salesmen (and women) often have their photos on their cards to establish a relationship with the customers. It's so much easier to meet someone for the first time if you already know what they look like. Depends how they got your card I suppose. If you've handed it to them in person, it's pointless, but if they've had it given to them by someone else/picked it up at an event, it can be helpful.

I'll probably ditch it.

You're not a salesman, you call yourself a photographer, do you want to be seen to be covering up a lovely photo you took with a mugshot? People want to see your work in full.

Do you need to write "Tel"? Especially since you didn't put "Web" and "Email" above. Consistency is key and a set of numbers is obviously going to be a phone number

Edited by Ronnie

You're not a salesman, you call yourself a photographer, do you want to be seen to be covering up a lovely photo you took with a mugshot? People want to see your work in full.

Well I would be a salesman when I'm handing out business cards, or at least have the same rules apply to me. But like I said, I'll probably be handing out these in person anyway, so it's not needed anymore.

Although it was hardly covering it up. The hedge isn't exactly the focal point of the picture. Plus if they were worried about seeing my work in full, I'd like to think it justifies being seen on something other than a 2 inch high card!

Do you need to write "Tel"? Especially since you didn't put "Web" and "Email" above. Consistency is key and a set of numbers is obviously going to be a phone number

It looks crap without it, sort of like a serial number or something. It's just not clear enough. I've added web and mail to the others to match now that I have a bit more space to fill without the picture.

The only people who I've seen have their pictures on stuff like this are local politicians. The many business cards I've seen don't have pictures of the person giving them out.

How about sticking a QR code in one corner? Even if it won't get used, I do think it looks "modern".

Goafer, since you're a photographer I would just put an amazing picture across all of your card. Put your name in the middle or one corner, solid black or white depending on the background, emboss it if you've got the monies. I wouldn't bother with fancy fonts, or any kind of logo, simplicity and minimalism is stylish.

I can see you've gone for the Facebook Timeline business card approach but importantly, if you're going to stick to that, you need the standard case, the simple sans-serif font (Helvetica) and the subtle bold/roman contrast to bring it together, I'm not digging the all caps font you've gone with tbh.

OK that ended up a bit of a critical review but truth is, your work should be able to carry itself, don't draw everyone's attention away from it (see what's happened in this thread? No comments on the landscape pic at all).

The only people who I've seen have their pictures on stuff like this are local politicians. The many business cards I've seen don't have pictures of the person giving them out.

Slight expansion. Models and actor/esses. Although that's more in the form of a resume/portfolio. Most people really aren't going to give a shit what you look like, but you're leaving the opportunity for people to make a first impression of you which could affect your business. It's your work that should speak for you.

Moo.com are also offering timeline cards. Not free though. Seems just the 'in' thing. I've seen folk even saying that Timeline is the modern man's CV. Overkill much? I think so.

Anyone else know where to recommend getting business cards online?

I'll be ordering a few hundred in the next few days and a heads up would be great as it would save me tons of research as well.

I would not employ someone with a timeline card thingy.

I TAKE MY IMAGINARY CUPCAKE BUSINESS SERIOUSLY!

Anyone else know where to recommend getting business cards online?

I'll be ordering a few hundred in the next few days and a heads up would be great as it would save me tons of research as well.

http://www.vistaprint.co.uk usually have an offer on. Often free business cards (have to pay p+p).

EDIT: Apparently you need to watch which boxes you tick, as you can end up signing up for a monthly thing.

If you want really professional ones, Printing.com have offers on.

Two-sided cards are £49 for 250 or £64 for 1000

Or you can get ones with Spot UV highlights. £64 for 25 or £79 for 1000.

leafletprinting.co.uk is run by a colleague of mine. Great prices, simple site but not the fastest delivery. Minimum order for business cards is 500 though.

If you want you own design (on both sides, too), it's around £17 for 50, which isn't too bad. I'd actually much rather pay a little bit more than using Vistaprint as they just don't come across as a (not sure how to put it) "nice" business.

If you want you own design (on both sides, too), it's around £17 for 50, which isn't too bad. I'd actually much rather pay a little bit more than using Vistaprint as they just don't come across as a (not sure how to put it) "nice" business.

I tried both vista and moo when at uni and always found moo's cards were better quality, but I guess they all do the same thing. :)

Thanks folks. I've already received a ton of sample packs through today.

Never imagined I'd be spending my evenings like this but it's all part of wanting to build a company that cares about the finer details.

Not my own but my company ones are horrendous. The European ones were pretty nice and since I left they've been updated to be even nicer. Over here it's all about cost, no-one seems to think about the crappy impression they must give off. I more often than not feel pretty embarrassed giving them out, maybe I should just make my own and be done with it.

oh, too bad i can not see the video. where else can i find it? the one about card scene

Not my own but my company ones are horrendous. The European ones were pretty nice and since I left they've been updated to be even nicer. Over here it's all about cost' date=' no-one seems to think about the crappy impression they must give off. I more often than not feel pretty embarrassed giving them out, maybe I should just make my own and be done with it.[/quote']

A bot has just bumped this thread but its a good opportunity for me to jump in here.

A business card is essentially what you remember someone by after meeting them. Whether it's a few days or a few weeks down the line. What does the business card say about the person and business? If it is flimsy, doesn't look good or misses out details, poor quality you aren't going to get a good impression of that person/business in your head. That's just the way it works.

A high quality business card will really help you and its worth spending a bit more to get one.

Sign in to follow this