NEurope
Retro_Link

Prometheus (Ridley Scott)

Trailer

Great Trailer!

Some great names in this! Idris Elba! :D

I'm confused though... This isn't the Alien Prequel that was rumoured/is in the making... or is it?

If not it surely has to be set in the same Story Universe?

Edited by Retro_Link

Same universe, different story.

It was original going to be a prequel.

You're late, my fellow LiNk. I creamed my pantalons over this a few weeks back.

I can't wait. I'm dragging Ine to see it, with or without her consent.

"What they found could be their end."

Except, instead of setting it in it's own universe (would anyone even care that it isn't in the Alien Universe?) they've set it before the first Alien film.

(would anyone even care that it isn't in the Alien Universe?)
Yeah I think I'd rather it wasn't... start a new line of space thrillers! Although if it's not directly tied storywise (i.e. the exact same Aliens?) then maybe that's possible?

A film set in the Alien universe is fine. There's a lot of potential there as there are plenty of ideas and themes that could be explored for their own separate story.

You could explore:

- The "space jockey", seen in the derelict ship when Kane gets face-hugged.

- The derelict itself. What is it doing there? Where does it come from?

- The company Weyland-Yutani. Maybe the story could revolve around another one of their ships that makes a discovery. The Nostromo made a discovery of a certain kind in the first film, maybe there was another different type of discovery featuring a different ship and crew.

- The marines in Aliens. Maybe a separate crew has a different type of mission non-xenomorph related.

- The prisoners from Alien3. Maybe there's another prison planet. We learn that the company dabbles in different things: Terraforming, mining on far-away planets, creating correctional/prison facilities, having close links with the military/marines. Who knows what else they do.

There's a lot there. Definitely. Many of which do not have to have anything to do with the original Alien, except for simply taking place within the same "universe." So, maybe the company is there. Maybe some of the planets mentioned are there. The derelict is there, or a ship that looks like it.

You've quickly won me round FLink.

As long as it sets it's own story/world that could potentially continue... and not one that has to be influenced/end because 'the next part of the story is Alien' then that's fine.

I've watched the trailer about 20 times already. Some of the machinery and vehicles does look like something you could have possibly have seen in the first Alien film. So, it wouldn't surprise me at all if the story is simply about the same company making a different discovery elsewhere. It could just be that they've tried to capture a look of what vehicles/machines look like at that point in time, so maybe it could be a different company altogether.

I was very dubious of this at first, about it being an Alien prequel. But, to his credit, Ridley Scott seems to have distanced himself from that notion and more towards it just being a different story altogether, with some "links" to the first film. So, being in the same universe. A story that takes place at the same time of Alien (or there abouts) without actually being directly related to the plot of the first film.

The main thing that we see is the space jockey and a ship that represents the derelict from the first film. Both only feature in a small part of Alien. The Space Jockey was originally just a plot device, it was there to add mystery and to give the viewer some sort of "idea" about how the eggs came to be on that ship, on that planet. Otherwise, without the jockey, you have an empty ship with eggs.

So, I'm guessing Scott is taking that plot device and is expanding it into it's own story. Or, maybe I'm wrong and it has nothing to do with that. I'm confident he will do a competent job, as Alien means very much to him. He won't touch that or Blade Runner unless he is absolutely sure he knows what he is doing. Remember, Alien came out in 1979...he's had plenty of time to mess around with it before now and hasn't. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about this for now.

Plus, the trailer looks fucking awesome.

The trailer's immense!

I'm don't know a huge ammount about the Alien films, I'm not an uber fan, and yet I've already watched it getting on for 10 times. There's just something epic about it!

I think you're right in the bits of the trailer you've picked up on. It's also like you say, a nice touch to re-use the same style of vehicles/machinery just to emulate a consistant idea for what space tech is like during a certain time in the future.

Looking forward to this one!

I recommend you watch the Alien films. Maybe miss Resurrection...and the AvP films as they're pretty shit.

The first film in particular is a triumph in Science Fiction and Horror. Second is a great action thriller. I like the third, although it gets a lot of bad press. There's something very human about it that I like.

I recommend you watch the Alien films. Maybe miss Resurrection...and the AvP films as they're pretty shit.

The first film in particular is a triumph in Science Fiction and Horror. Second is a great action thriller. I like the third, although it gets a lot of bad press. There's something very human about it that I like.

I've seen Aliens quite a few times and always enjoy it. It seems to be the film of the series I always happen to catch when it's on.

I've seen quite a bit of Alien 3, but it felt too samey to me, and I wasn't sure about the setting and story etc... so I didn't complete it.

Alien Resurrection I've seen once all the way through, and at other times. It's not awful, but yeah it hasn't got the same feel. Alien vs Preditor I've also seen once or twice, not scary in the slightest, but watchable.

Oddly enough... Alien is pretty much the film I think I've seen the least... at least I don't really know it... other than the classic scenes. I never start watching it at the right time, so think... I'll watch it next time it's on and then the same thing happens!

Alien is a great film. I still think it looks brilliant to this day. Doesn't seem like it was made in 1979, although it's got a very particular look and feel to it. They shot it really well.

Also, despite the fact that the film takes place on the Nostromo for about 70% or so of it, they really nailed the setting. After watching this film a hundred times, I feel like I could walk through the Nostromo and find my way around quite easily. It's very believable, very authentic.

Definitely watch it. Not when you're half asleep. Get some good food, sit down and spend a night with it. One of the greatest moments of my life is getting the chance to see this film, the Director's Cut at my local cinema back in Newport on Halloween, with a cinema full of about 5 people.

Anyway, I talk too much. No more posting from me. Until you've seen the film!

This has got me itching to watch Aliens again.

And then masturbate over a picture of Flinky.

EDIT: That last sentence really wasn't needed.

Edited by Wesley

Alien is a fucking fantastic film, one of my favourites and as Flinky says, a triumph in it's genre, as it manages to completely ESCAPE it's own genre trappings, and doesn't feel at all dated 30+ years on.

BOW DOWN.

Aliens is also great, but in a different way. But yes, yes, brill.

---

I haven't watched the trailer for this as I want to watch the film as unspoiled as possible. I already know too much.

Doesn't feel dated? Have you watched the scene where the baby alien glides across the table? Completely ruins the mood. Unless you like laughing at horror films.

YOURE WRONG.

I think... I haven't seen it in a while.

You could be right.

It's like he's riding a motorbike.

Imagine if they did a stupid "New edition with cgi", replacing the baby with cgi - it would look shit as those rereleases always do/Alien3 already does.

As a film overall, it hasn't dated. Nope. Relative to ANY other movie from the 70's I can think of. I think the hairstyles are maybe what date it most, if at all.

Doesn't feel dated? Have you watched the scene where the baby alien glides across the table? Completely ruins the mood. Unless you like laughing at horror films.

That and the part where they kill the droid. lol.

But absolutely perfect, other than that.

On topic:

Holy shit, some people still know how to make trailers!!! Goood!

For someone who only watched it for the first time a few years ago. It's very dated.

Especially when you clearly see the whole of the alien for the first time.

@Fierce_LiNk what is the Space Jockey?

It looks like a fat alien sat at a giant gun turret! :p

It's never explained (in the films. The 'expanded universe' which is non-canon might have it's own theories, but doubt they have any link to Scott's own thoughts).