NEurope
Ike

Netflix available in the UK & Ireland

NETFLIX LAUNCHES IN THE UNITED KINGDOM AND IRELAND

LONDON, UK -- 9 January, 2012 -- Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) the leading global internet subscription service for films and TV programmes, launches today in the United Kingdom and Ireland, offering instant and unlimited access to a broad range of entertainment for the low monthly price of £5.99 in the UK and €6.99 in Ireland.

Starting today, people throughout the UK and Ireland can begin a free, one month trial of the entire Netflix service by simply visiting Netflix.com. Members can select and instantly watch a wide array of Hollywood, local and global TV programmes and films on their TV’s via a range of internet-connected devices capable of streaming from Netflix, including Smart TVs, game consoles, Blu-ray players, tablets and mobile phones.

"We are starting 2012 in the best possible way: by giving consumers in the UK and Ireland an amazing entertainment experience," said Reed Hastings, co-founder and chief executive officer of Netflix. "Now, you can enjoy as many great films and TV programmes as you want, when you want, where you want, for one low monthly price with no contracts or commitments.â€

With more than 20 million streaming members in 47 countries and territories, Netflix has revolutionised entertainment by providing seamless and unlimited access to tens of thousands of hours of Hollywood and international feature films, full seasons of new and classic TV programmes, global documentaries, independent cinema and an incredible range of kids’ programming in a specially designed area of the service called “Just for Kidsâ€.

At launch, Netflix is offering films and TV programmes from All3Media, the BBC, CBS, Channel 4’s 4oD, Disney UK & Ireland, ITV, Lionsgate UK, MGM, Miramax, Momentum Pictures, NBCUniversal, Paramount, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Twentieth Century Fox and Viacom International Media Networks.

Among the tens of thousands of hours of great films and TV programmes available at launch are recent big screen hits such as “The Expendables†and “Paul Blart: Mall Cop;†first-rate American series such as “Breaking Bad,†“24†and “90210,†previous full seasons of UK favourites including “The Only Way is Essex,†“Top Gear,†“The Inbetweeners†and “Torchwood†and a wide-range of documentaries, art house films and classics ranging from “The 39 Steps†and “The Aviator†to “Man on Wire,†“The Men Who Stare at Goats,†“The Princess Bride†and “Onceâ€. In the coming months, more great films and TV programmes will be added, building upon the great entertainment choices available today.

A pioneer in the delivery of high quality streaming video and of advanced recommendation technologies that help consumers find the films and TV series they’ll love, Netflix offers an unbeatable entertainment experience with many films and programmes available in hi-definition and with Dolby® Digital Plus 5.1 sound.

Netflix is integrated with Facebook to make it easy for people to discover new films and programmes through their friends. Members can connect their Facebook account to Netflix and share what they're watching on both Netflix and their Facebook Timeline. Similar to the success of social music and social gaming, the integration gives people another way to connect with friends around common passions. Members can always control what they share and can turn off sharing anytime, from either Netflix or Facebook.

People in the UK and Ireland can instantly click and play films and TV programmes streamed over the internet from Netflix using the following devices that may already be in their living rooms and a complete range of upcoming TVs, Blu-ray players and other devices.

Blu-ray players

LG

Computers

Mac

Windows PC

Game consoles

PlayStation®3 (PS3™)

Wii

Xbox 360

Home theater systems

LG Home Theater System

HDTVs

Samsung Smart TV

Smart TV adaptors

Philips HD Media Player

WD TV Live streaming media player

Roku

Phones and tablets

iOS phones and tablets

Android phones and tablets

The Wii Netflix channel is up apparently but I'm at work so I can't check. Current library is a bit small according to the lists on the website, but it's already better than Lovefilms :P

Anyone tried it yet?

I'm gonna sign up for free trial I think and see what the range is like. Lovefilm recently made their packages cheaper £9.99 for unlimited streaming and as many disks at a time as you want 2 at a time. I'd like to keep Lovefilm for more recent films on disk but what really appeals to be is Lovefilms range of tv series.

Wait so us here in Ireland won't get this then will we?

Will have to check later

Wait so us here in Ireland won't get this then will we?

Will have to check later

I think you guys get it too.

I'm glad Netflix is finally here. Hope it arrives on the 3DS at some point.

We got it in Ireland Mokong. But apparently, we need to join through Facebook for the 1 month trial. Fuck that.

I hope we get 3DS Netflix soon, they have it in America.

You can register for the free trial without Facebook if you sign up on the Wii or any other consoles you have.

I watched Ghost in the Shell and Battle Royale on it today, the quality is really good, about DVD quality. I hear the Xbox 360 and PS3 can stream 1080p blu-ray quality movies! :eek:

I watched Ghost in the Shell and Battle Royale on it today, the quality is really good, about DVD quality. I hear the Xbox 360 and PS3 can stream 1080p blu-ray quality movies! :eek:

The HD quality though my PS3 is nowhere near the quality of the HD programs through the BBC iPlayer.

Downloaded this from the Shop Channel but haven't signed up for it yet.

Partly cause I didn't have my credit card with me at the time and was lazy to look for it and also cause I'll be away this weekend so figured I'd get the most out of the free month if I started it after I comeback on Sunday/Monday : peace:

What is the quality like on the Wii?

Be honest, what do you think? :heh: The service is capable of streaming 1080p, but your Wii can only output in 576i or 480p so... it'll be like a DVD at best.

I did notice that Jersey Shore plays in full screen on PS3 and 360 but on the Wii it has a black border around the picture... Very weird. Battle Royale was full screen on all systems but slightly sharper picture on PS3 and 360.

I did notice that Jersey Shore plays in full screen on PS3 and 360 but on the Wii it has a black border around the picture... Very weird. Battle Royale was full screen on all systems but slightly sharper picture on PS3 and 360.

That happened on mine too but then in Series 2 it went back to full screen :wtf:

What's weird is people admitting to watching Jersey Shore.

I watched one out of curiosity but now... I just... can't help myself :shakehead

*Carries on watching Series 2*

Netflix is pretty good, already set it up on my laptop and Xbox. I think I'll skip installing it on my Wii though, there's just no point when you already have it set up on a HD console.

Finally got round to signing up for my free month on this.

Most of the stuff availble that I'd be interesting in watching I've already seen. But still a bit of nostaligia and rewatches won't go amiss and then cancel my subscription before the free month ends, haha

What about the quality on PC, does that trump them all? Anyone know? I'm in two minds whether to sign up.

There was an interesting story about their UK launch on the BBC program, Click... may still be on the iPlayer. Apparently Sony pulled their films off Netflix after they went over their agreed user numbers.

I guess the PC quailt would depend on your Graphics card.

But hey if your in two minds about you should at least do what I am... sign up for the free month watch a few things then cancel before the month ends :D

So far I've watched 2 films, "Bill & Teds Bogus Journey" (Shit that was, shame they don't have the first film so I could watch that to forget I saw this tripe) and "The Brother Grimm" (enjoyed that one) both I never saw before.

Does anyone know how to access the us netflix from a uk wii? I know you can do it on the xbox and PS3 but don't know if it's possible on the Wii. Would give my poor Wii some use as its been gathering dust for the last couple of years.

Dont worry - I've figured out how to do it - and for free too!

Is it well worth doing? Is it more complex than changing your region in the settings?

I'm really impressed with Netflix, but the selection is poor. Changing to us could certainly tempt me.

Is it well worth doing? Is it more complex than changing your region in the settings?

I'm really impressed with Netflix, but the selection is poor. Changing to us could certainly tempt me.

The American Content is great. Providing your still paying for it there are ways you can get the content leagally by changing your DNS settings. There a video tutorials on youtube that tell you how to do this.

Heres a general list of shows that I've been watching

Glee

Death Note

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Naruto

The Office (Both the U.S and Uk Versions)

Family Guy

The Complete South Park

American Dad

Do it you won't regret it! My Wii now has a use!

Just spotted this deal on Top Cash Back: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/netflix/

They pay you £12.12 to take up the 30 day free trial. Money shows in your TCB account in 5 days... If you've already signed up, there is probably a good chance you can still get this by signing up again with a different email address and use a different credit card.

Done deal!!

First impressions are it's really good. In the settings I set quality to always use best quality. Looks at least as good as watching a DVD. Going into this I was just thinking I'm in it for the free £12 and 30 days of novelty; now I'm like 'ummm, I could get use to this.' We shall see.