NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

I pay for the 4K plan too @Happenstance and I would definitely recommend it. Most of Netflix's own output is in 4K (Stranger Things is a particularly impressive display of HDR) and there is an increasing number of old films in their library in UHD (Taxi Driver, Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day are a few of the classics I've watched on there in 4K but they obviously rotate them frequently)

Edited by killthenet
  • Thanks 1

The Umbrella Chronicles season 2 has been released. Looking forward to seeing it but I don't have high expectations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

The Umbrella Chronicles season 2 has been released. Looking forward to seeing it but I don't have high expectations.

Never watched it but heard lots of good things about season 2 on Twitter

• Like 1

Documentary series called High Score coming on the 19th. Guess it's like The Toys That Made Us but for video games. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ashley said:

Documentary series called High Score coming on the 19th. Guess it's like The Toys That Made Us but for video games. 

Oh damn, the opening credits look awesome! Narrated by Charles Martinet too! 

Synopsis mentions which games they'll be diving into:

High Score is a documentary series about the golden age of video games, when legends - from Pac-Man to Doom - were brought to life. Through ingenuity and sheer force of will, computer pioneers and visionary artists from around the globe spawned the iconic worlds of Space Invaders, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Sonic the Hedgehog, MADDEN NFL, and beyond. Without rules or roadmaps, players and innovators alike pushed the limits of money to be made, rivals to be crushed, and hearts to be won. This is the story of the brains behind the pixels and how their unmatched innovation built a multi-billion dollar industry - almost by accident. 

Very much looking forward to the Final Fantasy episode, I'm 100% going to be watching this :D thanks for mentioning it Ashley, sure I would have missed it otherwise! 

Edited by Julius

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Oh damn, the opening credits look awesome! Narrated by Charles Martinet too! 

Synopsis mentions which games they'll be diving into:

Very much looking forward to the Final Fantasy episode, I'm 100% going to be watching this :D thanks to bringing for mentioning it Ashley, sure I would have missed it otherwise! 

No worries, you did more work than I did!

It's worth checking out the Latest tab once a week to see what's coming up. 

• Like 1

That is a truly great intro. However, I'm just not that interested in the games from the arcades and the high score battles at the time so will probably not watch it.

53 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

That is a truly great intro. However, I'm just not that interested in the games from the arcades and the high score battles at the time so will probably not watch it.

At least make a device play it with the TV off or something. If the metrics are good then they’re more likely to make additional episodes that might cover something you do like!

On 11/08/2020 at 3:39 PM, gaggle64 said:

@martinist !!! Finally, anime for the real men like us.

My errection can not be contained.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2020 at 4:39 PM, gaggle64 said:

@martinist !!! Finally, anime for the real men like us.

Seriously though.. Aggretsuko has been on Netflix for a while, and I'm not exaggerating if I say it's one of the animes on Netflix I enjoyed the most funnily enough. That said, Dutch Netflix has less anime, and I actually haven't seen that much if it.

• Like 1

Original ATLA creators Mike and Bryan are officially off Netflix's Avatar: The Last Airbender live-action remake series. 

Spoiler

vq0egid2klg51.jpg?width=956&format=pjpg&

o6917nd2klg51.jpg?width=861&format=pjpg&

gbqxwmd2klg51.jpg?width=870&format=pjpg&

z8sgnod2klg51.jpg?width=868&format=pjpg&

6sf1fqd2klg51.jpg?width=874&format=pjpg&

p86wpkd2klg51.jpg?width=877&format=pjpg&

Spoiler

ptm50hd2klg51.jpg?width=704&format=pjpg&

5dl9mkd2klg51.jpg?width=709&format=pjpg&

cma9bod2klg51.jpg?width=710&format=pjpg&

yo3e8hd2klg51.jpg?width=707&format=pjpg&

u94qwjd2klg51.jpg?width=714&format=pjpg&

A Netflix spokesperson had this to say:

We have complete respect and admiration for Michael and Bryan and the story that they created in the Avatar animated series.  Although they have chosen to depart the live action project, we are confident in the creative team and their adaptation.

All faith in this project I might have had has gone completely down the drain. In an industry where leaving for "personal reasons" or "though we are departing, we have complete faith in the team" are corporate speak for "well, this is a mess", "We strongly disagree with the direction the show is heading" is completely damning. 

You have, in my opinion, two of the best storytellers and worldbuilders in western animation working on a remake of their own show, which has seen deserved success and a completely justified resurgence in popularity over the last few years. So whatever the changes in direction are that Netflix are making, I can't help but question who they are to - again - question the original creators in a remake project. I have full confidence that they wouldn't have done anything stupid with the franchise just going from how they have continued to build the Avatar universe since ATLA ended, but likely would have just fleshed the world out a bit more in retelling this story. There is no way that anything so drastic as a new direction for the series would have been on their agenda. 

What a waste of great talent, an excellent story, and an awesomely crafted fictional world...again

Edited by Julius
  • Sad 2

It's a real shame for sure, but I'm not totally heartbroken since it's only a remake. I'll give it a look when it arrives but I should probably get some of the excellent comic sequels for a new fix of the good stuff. We'll always have the original masterpiece. 

Watched the first three episodes of High Score today on a sickness leave (just feeling under the weather and such) and I'm actually enjoying it. Given the name, I had expected it to be about arcade games and the people competing there but it's much more a complete history of video games. Episode 2 is almost only about Nintendo, quite interesting to watch. The third episode is a bit too narrow, I found, as it focuses solely on RPGs and early adventure games that I don't know about but it also references newer games that I have more knowledge of and have actually played. 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 2

Yeah I’m a little way into episode two and really enjoying it so far. Well worth a watch for anyone with some interest in games and their background. I really like this more serious/business take on something about games, seems we don’t get it all that often.

I noticed it when I was browsing last night and was tempted to start watching but I assumed it would be a pretty tame effort, good to know it's more substantial though.

"Yeah I'll come on your documentary, but only if I get to show you my magic tricks"

• Haha 1

Watched the first few ep of Aggretsuko, really strong start this season. Retsuko & Fenneko exploring VR in their living rooms is the loudest I've laughed at my TV in a while. 

So there's a CG project (presumably a movie?) called Resident Evil Infinite Darkness coming in 2021, which was just revealed in a teaser on Netflix Portugal's Twitter. 

Not entirely surprising as god knows when they'd be able to film again but a shame. 

Man, that sucks. The first series was a bit ropey but I really enjoyed 2 and 3, it's such a shame they won't be able to give it a good send off. 

I wonder if Netflix will let them do a feature length special or something when production will be a bit more viable, like they did with Sense8, there obviously weren't a tonne of narrative cliffhangers for them to follow up on but it would be nice to have a finale to neaten things up

They could even leave it a little while, jump forward in time a bit and do it as some kind of canon-reunion or "where are they now" meta documentary kind of thing. The real GLOW didn't last that long from what I can recall so they could do a wrap up of sorts that way.