NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

Oh, nice! 

And Liam Hemsworth looks just fine as Geralt. Actually, I had to actively remember that Cavill had left the role. 

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Just realised tyst Cavill is still Geralt in season 3. Haha. XD

I was going to say! I thought you were saying there was some sort of Doctor Who regeneration thing going on... I've not watched the trailer yet.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I was going to say! I thought you were saying there was some sort of Doctor Who regeneration thing going on... I've not watched the trailer yet.

As someone else who hasn't watched the trailer yet, I thought the exact same thing about some Doctor Who-style regeneration hijinks being afoot :laughing:

Edited by Julius

Watched The Sandman

It was ok. There were a few good episodes, and a few naff ones, but they didn't really feel very joined up. The series felt like it had multiple arcs which weren't all that related to each other. The best bits were the standalone episodes like the one in the diner, and the man who lived for hundreds of years.

My main issue with the show is that the guy they got to play Dream was awful. He looked like a student who had just rolled out of bed. Completely wooden and dull, and not enough presence to carry an entire show. 

On 16.5.2023 at 10:49 AM, bob said:

Watched The Sandman

My main issue with the show is that the guy they got to play Dream was awful. He looked like a student who had just rolled out of bed. Completely wooden and dull, and not enough presence to carry an entire show. 

As far as I know, that is very true to the comic, though. And I think he lived up a bit over the course of the show. 

It's happening!

Not sure what to do tbh. I want to cancel to send a message that they're being shitty and greedy, but at the same time, we still do use Netflix a lot. cce37fcd0b82f28a51d36a402a3d5228.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bob said:

It's happening!

Not sure what to do tbh. I want to cancel to send a message that they're being shitty and greedy, but at the same time, we still do use Netflix a lot. cce37fcd0b82f28a51d36a402a3d5228.jpg

look-jdrama.gif

Might be more excited for Netflix's next quarterly report than Nintendo's at this rate, in sure their number of cancellations are about to skyrocket. Seen some suggest that if you are cancelling to just state you travel for work months at a time and so lose access to Netflix to mess with their figures a bit. But seriously, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, though, this is like watching a painfully slow train crash in realtime.

I actually cancelled my Netflix subscription a couple of months ago because I realised I was using it more to re-watch things for the umpteenth time rather than watch new things, and to be honest, I then realised that there just wasn't enough new scheduled to keep me interested; and when I was occasionally interested in something, there's so much crap on there now that the quality stuff is easily buried ::shrug: also got to mention the silly amount of emails I've had from them since cancelling – Netflix are 100% the crazy ex-girlfriend!

Wouldn't blame anyone for keeping it if they still use it a lot, though, there's so much on there that other than their dumb new policies it is still a decent enough deal, I just don't think it's programming is for me (and I'm getting to a point where I'm fine just picking up box sets of the few shows left on there I still want to check out). 

Can't help but wonder how far we put from cable-like deals which package a bunch of these streaming services together, I know Disney+ took a hit and so there's talk about them packaging ESPN and Disney+ together in more territories. I do find it funny that in a time when most industries are dominated by three, maybe four, big players, that there seems to be dozens of streaming services that all seem to think they can grab a decent enough mindshare and justify their existence. Certainly some that fill specific niches, like anime and classic movie services, but there's just way too much schlock out there on top of that. 

Kind of feels like we're on course for a content crash when some of these services realise that they can't afford to keep pumping millions in like Netflix did a few years ago, not to mention the writer's strike :nono:

Edited by Julius

8 minutes ago, Julius said:

Netflix are 100% the crazy ex-girlfriend

Ironically one of the few shows I still watch on there. 

But I'm mostly using it to rewatch shows than anything they put out lately so I'm figuring out what I what to do. The easy option is to buy them on something like Prime but that could still be removed. 

But it seems I'm not affected by this anyway. My mom and nan had access but I think my mom got her own and my nan has now passed away anyway.

Just feel like there's no real value in Netflix now. 

I didn't think I'd like Fubar as much as I did, but Arnie does it nicely here. The missus and I blasted through it in a weekend with the "just one more..." approach. It's like a series of True Lies (Which I know exists on Disney+, but I haven't watched it yet.)

Hope it gets a second season

Finished the new season of Black Mirror a few days ago, the verdicts:

Spoiler

A perfect start to the season, blending the digital of things with reality but with a now more real pressing threat (many may consider self inflicted) of TV twisting reality and it backfiring spectacularly. Salma Hayek does a beautiful job, and should cement an Oscar with the line "who's anus is doing the shitting?"

I thought Michael Cera had his greatest acting role ever, but then he couldn't shut his mouth and it became another one of his failed attempts of portraying someone.

Spoiler

A slow burner which because of its spooky nature could've gone many ways with its mysterious past nature, but I think it did a good job with the two twists it pulled, not only the dad, but mummy too?! Not sure why the girlfriend had to die, but eh

Spoiler

If any episode needed to be feature length, it should not have been this one. Events were spread out over tedious bullshit, and although the seduction was predictable from the start, the final act I wasn't truly expecting until the last minute. I thought the inclusion of lil Culkin as the terrorist was going to have a more decent impact, like Josh Harnett was going to borrow his friends body for either a Taken style rampage to avenge his family/stop an extremist group, or the group would find his friend and he'll have to do a violent Home Alone and fuck them up. Instead we were treated to a dude painting a house. Ah'mazin.

Spoiler

A nice reminder that the paparazzi are fuckers. When they found the lass in bed I thought I was going to have a seizure with all that snapping. But that final twist... it was so out there it bordered on silly, but it pulled it off with a standard diner in the middle of nowhere shootout. Another silly moment how a cop can pull off a few nice decent shots and have no effect and dies, lead lady fires once and incapacitates the enemy

Spoiler

This reminded me a little of the monkey paw episode of Inside No. 9, and due to the outside nature to me (being in the 70s), it felt a bit more mystical and nice to end on a season which has moved away from people messing around in virtual spaces

And have now been sucked in by Battlebots, which is what Robot Wars used to be before they stretched out 3 battles over an hour

I've just started watching Black Mirror myself. I mean, I'll watch anything Charlie Brooker puts out, really.

Spoiler

Despite how horrifying the situation that Joan finds herself in is, I absolutely busted a gut from the one-two punch of watching her stride into that wedding and realising what she's planning, to the sudden jump cut to the nearby child screaming! Love the implication that Joan didn't think of the possibility of children being there. Expertly crafted comedy!

It's a very strong opening, a great dive into the issues that deep-fake style stuff could cause.

Scott Pilgrim anime gets the name Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, and it comes out November 17th.

Looks really good! Really catches the style of the comics. It's also really funny that they are using the same actors as in the movie. Nice gimmick. (I think Michael Cera was great as Scott.) 

25 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Scott Pilgrim anime gets the name Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, and it comes out November 17th.

Looks really good! Really catches the style of the comics. It's also really funny that they are using the same actors as in the movie. Nice gimmick. (I think Michael Cera was great as Scott.) 

Possibly the best joke I've heard all year. But maybe with animation giving him the expression his physical body seems incapable of doing, he might be passable :p 

Watched Beef this week. It started out well, with humour and something to think about, but as the episodes went by, it just got more and more absurd and in the end, it just got surreal. I really didn't enjoy the last couple of episodes and don't think they made much sense. Had it been two episodes shorter and with fewer side stories, it could have been better

Still enjoyable, though, and the acting was good. 

I've considered it but haven't really seen the anime or read the manga, so it's not on the top of my list. It does look like some silly comedy that could be great to watch during the fall. 

Yeah I wanted to ask someone if it was just good for an adaptation, or good overall, because I've not seen the anime.

I've heard it's good for an adaptation and fun overall. Don't think it'll go down as one of the best shows ever, but a fun series nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Isn't Netflix mostly full of B level trash? 

To be honest, Prime Video is way better. I think Netflix is good, but it depends what they have available to watch.

It terms of the app/system, Netflix wins hands down. They almost never crash - the streaming quality is exceptional, and the app is easy to navigate around and find the stuff you want.

Prime video by comparison is a shit-show. The app is always crashing (is doesn't even load properly anymore on my Samsung tv), and is slow as balls to navigate around. Half the stuff on there is bait and hidden behind a second paywall. The streaming quality is rubbish, and the first 5 minutes of every program runs in 360p while it 'tests' my connection.

In terms on content, i guess it depends on what you want. Prime supposedly has a much larger library, but personally there is only a handful of things on there that I have watched (The Expanse, Wheel of Time, Invincible, James May travelling etc).

1 hour ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

Isn't Netflix mostly full of B level trash? 

To be honest, Prime Video is way better. I think Netflix is good, but it depends what they have available to watch.

I've found Prime to be a bit weird in its layout, hiding the paid stuff sometimes. 

But it does have Neighbours, which is a very redeeming feature.

Yeah I wanted to ask someone if it was just good for an adaptation, or good overall, because I've not seen the anime.
I enjoyed it quite a lot. I'm someone who normally really hates anime live adaptations because the focus is usually on visual appearance and consistency with the anime - so the characters are usually pretending to be "anime" with awkward grunts and gestures.

Perhaps because this isn't made in Japan it actually works. The characters are kind of believable in their own way and not just clones of how they are in the anime. Luffy is a good example - not as goofy and stupid as in the anime, but with different eccentricities. The only slightly weak character I thought was Zoro, with the rest being very well realised. It's also 10 episodes long so it doesn't drag on anywhere near as much as the anime, so that's another definite plus.

My wife and I started Sex Education season 4 the other day. Two full episodes in, and I just really don't care about it. It' way too much this time around, can't really enjoy it.