NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

13 hours ago, bob said:
22 hours ago, Jonnas said:
To be fair, I haven't seen the show... But zombies and ghosts are entirely different beasts. Like, if someone from Walking Dead believed in ghosts, that'd be weird too.

I used the term undead, but the town has vampires, werewolves, sirens, a Gorgon, a shapeshifter, a 'monster', witches and a disembodied hand wandering around. But ghosts?! Preposterous!

Ah, so it's fantasy monsters. Ghosts aren't species with biology, I suppose. A mermaid ghost can be a thing.

But neither are mummies or zombies. As you say, there's a disembodied zombie hand crawling around (and I know the Addams butler is a Frankensteiner), so clearly there's precedent for afterlife creatures. Without having watched an episode, I'm inclined to agree with your righteous indignation.

• Like 1

Yesyerday evening, I sat and watched all 4 episodes of Pepsi, Where's My Jet? It's a decent documentary about a Pepsi promotion in the US that went wrong due to false advertisement and lack of disclaimers. Quite fun. The whole thing is basically that episode of The Simpsons where Bart wins an elephant from a radio competition. :D

I've watched most of the first two so far (skipped over the segments about how the two guys are BFFs because who cares) but yeah my first thought was "so that's what The Simpsons episode was based on". 

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

I've watched most of the first two so far (skipped over the segments about how the two guys are BFFs because who cares) but yeah my first thought was "so that's what The Simpsons episode was based on". 

Surprisingly, that Simpsons episode was aired a couple of years before this even happened.

See that breaks my brain because it likes to think "1998 = ages ago, Simpsons episode I remember = recent". 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

1899 has been canceled by Netflix. Does it make sense to watch it then? 

Oh, that's a shame.

And no, don't watch it. There's basically no conclusion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MindFreak said:

1899 has been canceled by Netflix. Does it make sense to watch it then? 

Which is one of the reasons I grow tired of streaming services. I quit my subscription about a year ago, thinking I was going to get a one month subscription every now and then.

It was almost time! I wanted to see 1899, amonst a few other things.. But I don't think I'll bother at this point. Think I'll just quit streaming services altogether.

Precisely. I like to watch a story from beginning to end in one go, so I waited with 1899 until the other two seasons were (about to) air. But if many people do this, the number of views will be lower making a second season less likely. I don't like how they do this, if they release a show that is obviously not done until two more seasons, they should commit to the plan. But of course, money talks. 

My wife is in the mood for more realistic stuff at the moment. After watching The Dropout and This is going to hurt, we started Dahmer but we are now 4 episodes in and I don't know of we are going to finish it. If it were 6 episodes, we would no doubt watch it to the end but being 10 episodes with something that seems like it's going to be a lot more of the same, it just isn't that appealing. 

Do you have any recommendations regarding something like The Dropout and This is going to hurt? 

16 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

My wife is in the mood for more realistic stuff at the moment. After watching The Dropout and This is going to hurt, we started Dahmer but we are now 4 episodes in and I don't know of we are going to finish it. If it were 6 episodes, we would no doubt watch it to the end but being 10 episodes with something that seems like it's going to be a lot more of the same, it just isn't that appealing. 

Do you have any recommendations regarding something like The Dropout and This is going to hurt? 

I feel like so many streaming shows are drawn out for no reason. Many of them could be 4-5 episodes, but get extended to 10. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I saw the first episode of Dahmer, I thought it was halfway through the Saga of his killing reign... Holy shit he's pulled this dude, oh he's gon' fuck him up, shit the police are here, he's going to have a close call but escape... Oh he got caught and it's all a flashback?! Fuck that.

The Recruit - I wouldn't bother. It starts out promising with a dude who likes to jump in head first and he's going to prove his worth, but instead his character is like one of those annoying children you tell not to touch something, touches it and then wonders why people are angry with him. Plus it affects everyone around him as he swans around complaining. You almost forget about the Russian mob bollocks they trundle out with it. Ends on a "cliffhanger" too, but you honestly run out of shits to give at that point.

Treason - I liked this, but seeing Charlie Cox in several seasons of Daredevil, it's weird watching him actually look at people.

I'm currently working through Kaleidoscope, a heist drama which apparently can be watched in any order, so long as the episode of the actual heist is last, so you see the before AND after the heist, which feels really strange as the only episode I have to go *is* the heist, but knowing the aftermath is unusual - especially as some of it is left rather open and leaves a lot unanswered, and it's not one of those which you think they'll make another season of to carry on (which is the right call here to not make it). Naturally I would recommend watching it in a more chronological order as it makes a shit ton more sense and there's no real twist if you watch the earlier ones later (set 24 and 7 years before the heist), they add important context.

EDIT: Just watched the final episode. Again, since you know the aftermath it doesn't really do much as opposed to in other heist things like Hustle, where they'll snap back for a short period, a whole episode seems excessive.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
White

The final season of You has been fully released now. It think this fourth season is probably the best yet, it has been really entertaining. Only two episodes left, I'm excited to see how they wrap it up. 

That is... surprising, actually. Seeing Zack take the lead of the team is so weird, too.

I wonder if they were already filming it before Jason David Frank's passing :(

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

That is... surprising, actually. Seeing Zack take the lead of the team is so weird, too.

I wonder if they were already filming it before Jason David Frank's passing :(

We see the Green Ranger briefly, so it’s someone else in the suit (which would feel wrong) or they just aren’t showing him to build up a surprise (which would feel wrong).

Interesting that they referenced Super Sentai.

Spoiler

"Operation Bandora", that was Rita's name in Super Sentai.

I thought this was more of a documentary or look back, not an actual special.

On 3/11/2023 at 6:26 AM, MindFreak said:

The final season of You has been fully released now. It think this fourth season is probably the best yet, it has been really entertaining. Only two episodes left, I'm excited to see how they wrap it up. 

I felt a little disappointed when it disappeared up its own arse when it decided to become

Spoiler

Fight Club

But I think it pulled it back.

I'm a little disappointed with how they handled...

Spoiler

Whilst Joe was a little wary of her, I don't think he was that suspicious. Certainly not enough to see her boyfriend outside his flat, piece everything together* and kill him. Then threaten her that "no one would believe her" as he hands her the murder weapon and deletes photos from his phone. Whilst the frame up isn't that bad, Nadia could've done something instead of her going away quietly and not saying a single thing.

*they're normally quite good with the heist-esque flashbacks showing how things came together, but in this instance you got nothing. 

I tried watching In From The Cold, but I just couldn't get into it. It starts off as an ex-Russian spy trying to have a new life, then gets pulled back in. Seems standard, then it's revealed

Spoiler

that she can mutate into looking like other people

and I couldn't take it seriously after that.

Finished re-watching iZombie. Still recommend it to you all! Rose McIver is such a versatile actress.

• Like 1

Last night finished Alice in Borderland. If you liked Squid Game, you'll be feeling this (but it came first). Finale was a bit weird and it went a bit Evangelion at one point which pissed me off immensely... but it managed to pull it back.

One thing this did, and some streaming things I'm noticing is inconsistency in episode length. Normally you get lengths which are 45-50 minutes or a flat hour. this jumps all overt the place, you think you're going to settle down for a 50 minute episode, boom, 1 hour 20 mins. 

Last night finished Alice in Borderland. If you liked Squid Game, you'll be feeling this (but it came first). Finale was a bit weird and it went a bit Evangelion at one point which pissed me off immensely... but it managed to pull it back.

One thing this did, and some streaming things I'm noticing is inconsistency in episode length. Normally you get lengths which are 45-50 minutes or a flat hour. this jumps all overt the place, you think you're going to settle down for a 50 minute episode, boom, 1 hour 20 mins. 

I thought Alice in Borderland had a really satisfying ending, which honestly surprised me. I wasn't expecting the loose ends to be explained so well.

11 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I thought Alice in Borderland had a really satisfying ending, which honestly surprised me. I wasn't expecting the loose ends to be explained so well.

Oh yes, it wrapped it up nicely in the end, with all the theories they were throwing I wasn't expecting the ending, it was just the bits halfway through where I was going "don't you fucking dare..."

Alice in  Borderlands bored me, I didn't watch it beyond season 1 (or maybe season 2? I forgot).

The episode length though.. I like it when series do this, some episodes don't need as much time, or more time, as other episodes, depending on what's happening. Just like film, it's as long as it needs to be. That's an advantage of series on streaming services, they don't need to restrct themselves to a specific duration.

NINE-NINE

I've jumped back a couple of seasons of Brooklyn Nine-Nine to refresh my memory for the new season which dropped last week.