NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

Watched the first two episodes. Completely over the top and extreme but good entertainment as always. 

Edited by MindFreak

I just finished Cobra Kai season 5. Really crazy season with so much over the top action happening that it was impossible to avoid being entertained by it. The final episode in particular was epic, though I wonder how season 6 (the final season) will play out.

It took a while to finish it as my wife fell asleep halfway through every second episode we watched so we had to see that again the day after. Including the final episode. She liked it, though, and laughed several times at how utterly stupid it all actually is. I love how everyone in the show just goes all in on violence rather than just talking to each other and listening. It's crazy.

I also saw that FATE - Winx Saga just got another season. I cannot express this clearly enough: the first season was utter crap. Do not waste your time. Yuck.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1

Looking forward to this. I binge watched the earlier seasons last year for the first time and really enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

I sat and watched Redeem Team, yesterday evening. It's a documentary about the USA Olympic basketball team in the mid 2000's and how they needed to go back to basics to return to winning ways. I still remember the era of the Dream Team where you had the likes of Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone etc. absolutely destroying the competition in the games. Once those guys retired and the rest of the world started to catch up in basketball, that's when things started to unravel.

It was interesting to see the scandal around Kobe at the time. My interest in the sport had faded by then and although I was around for his early career, I missed what was going on with him during this period. It was great seeing him come out of his shell a bit, get his redemption and become a leader for the team. It was quite sad seeing him play again and watching the interviews with him. I know Netflix were supposed to be making a documentary about him ( bit like The Last Dance with Michael Jordan) but I've heard nothing about it for a while.

Once again, watching such a documentary took me back to my youth and got me wanting to play basketball again. At 40 years old, I don't think me knees could take it anymore. Instead of visiting the basketball court maybe I'll just buy the latest NBA game for my PlayStation. :p 

I feel like they should have left a gap between announcing him leaving and giving his replacement. There's already been a bit of a backlash against Hemsworth, which seems a bit unfair to me - it's not his fault, and he might be quite a good replacement.

Sat and watched all the episodes of Blockbuster over the weekend. Not great. I had high hopes for it, what with it being by a writer from Brooklyn 99 but it didn't even come close to matching that. With it being about the last Blockbuster store left standing, I was expecting there to be lots of movie quotes and banter between the workers, kinda like Clerks, but this wasn't to be. I thought it was a one season show but it ended in a way that would look to continue in another season. Given the ratings, I doubt there will be one. 

I've watched the first three episodes and I'm very much watching just because it's there. It's meh. 

Which is a shame because I like Randall Park and Melissa Fumero but they don't really have anything to work with here. And the rest of the characters are very one dimensional. 

• Thanks 2

1899 is now on Netflix and I'm happy to see that all episodes are available from the get-go :D 

First episode of 1899 was interesting.
Lots of characters are introduced and they all got something to hide :D 

The mysteries are already building up. 

As always I tell myself I won't binge watch it, and yet I will probably be done with the other 7 episodes by Sunday :p 

On 07/11/2022 at 1:23 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Sat and watched all the episodes of Blockbuster over the weekend. Not great. I had high hopes for it, what with it being by a writer from Brooklyn 99 but it didn't even come close to matching that. With it being about the last Blockbuster store left standing, I was expecting there to be lots of movie quotes and banter between the workers, kinda like Clerks, but this wasn't to be. I thought it was a one season show but it ended in a way that would look to continue in another season. Given the ratings, I doubt there will be one. 

I thought it was going to be set more around the time Blockbuster actually went bust, not around now - looking at the Wiki there still is a last Blockbuster - so fuck my UK lack of local knowledge.

I think I've done about 5 episodes, and found 2-3 bits humourous, all from JB Smooth, most of the time it's either cringing at monologues, or looking at that lass with her mid-drift out and constantly thinking how the fuck an employee would be allowed to dress like that. Put that bitch in a regulation uniform. I didn't know it had a nine-nine connection, but it now makes the Park-Fumero / Santiago-Peralta interaction painful to watch. 

It's a poor man's Superstore.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

I think I've done about 5 episodes, and found 2-3 bits humourous, all from JB Smooth

Really? I've found his character to be super annoying. 

Been rewatching some Fresh Off the Boat and it's such a shame Randall Park isn't given more to do in Blockbuster because he's good in that. 

But in terms of Netflix I've been watching Everything Calls for Salvation and finding it interesting so far as it digs into the weakness of mental health support. Might even give the book a go as Italian practice. 

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Really? I've found his character to be super annoying. 

At times he can grate I agree, but by far the most interesting character.

See I think the opposite; on the surface he's reasonably successful but he seems so uninspired - his job is monotonous, his daughter doesn't like him and he betrayed his best friend. 

Anyone on here going to be watching the Harry and Meg documentary? I don't really care for her at all but I'm interested to see what she and Harry have to say about what has been going on. Obviously it will be very one sided but I'm still intrigued. No idea when I'll get around to watching it though.

It's a weird crossover of The Crown and Suits.

Wasn't well received unfortunately.

On 08/12/2022 at 9:14 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Anyone on here going to be watching the Harry and Meg documentary? 

Nope, I imagine it'll be jabs of racism and revelations how Harry was suffocated but won't have the balls to name anyone a la Oprah interview, the Palace will deny stuff / "launch an investigation" and we'll have forgotten about it before end of January and I'm being generous with that time frame.

The Watcher - simply infuriating. 

Spoiler

Fuck all is explained.

But there is a new season of Archer, so that's a good thing.

I've watched 4 episodes of Wednesday, and I'm loving it! The combination between the Addams Family, Tim Burton's typical style, Harry Potter-like mood, teenage drama and nice soundtrack works well. It's feel-good on the one end, dark humour on the other and a bit of action in between. 

• Like 1

Yeah, my wife and I really enjoyed Wednesday. Good program to binge while you're writing Christmas cards. We managed to guess half the ending, but the rest had some good twists and turns in it. 

The one thing that didn't sit right with me, was how in the original Addams Family, they are a weird family trying to fit in with a load of normal people/kids. So Wednesday obviously stood out, and was extra weird.

But then in this one, they put her in a school for outcasts, which is full of vampires, werewolves and other supernatural people. And still she's supposed to be the weird odd one out? It never really made sense why they all shunned her. 

Also, the sheriff saying 'I don't believe in ghosts!' at one point, when he lives in a town full of the undead...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bob said:

Also, the sheriff saying 'I don't believe in ghosts!' at one point, when he lives in a town full of the undead...

In fairness Holocaust denialism is a thing in the real world so...

6 hours ago, bob said:

To be fair, I haven't seen the show... But zombies and ghosts are entirely different beasts. Like, if someone from Walking Dead believed in ghosts, that'd be weird too.

To be fair, I haven't seen the show... But zombies and ghosts are entirely different beasts. Like, if someone from Walking Dead believed in ghosts, that'd be weird too.
I used the term undead, but the town has vampires, werewolves, sirens, a Gorgon, a shapeshifter, a 'monster', witches and a disembodied hand wandering around. But ghosts?! Preposterous!