NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

On 13/04/2022 at 7:45 PM, drahkon said:

The Guilty - fantastic movie. It broke me, I'm sad. Jake Gyllenhaal is such a bloody good actor. And big props to all the actors/actresses who you only hear in that movie. I can't fathom how difficult it must be to convey so much just by using your voice.

Highly recommended. Don't expect a jolly good time, though.

It's based on a Danish film called Den Skyldige (literally the same). I've seen that film (years ago), and it's fantastic.

I'm sat watching the Jimmy Savile documentary on Netflix and all I can think of is the Trevor and Simon skit that they did on Going Live back in the late 80's. :D 

Anyone else remember this? No? I'm showing my age here. :( 

Sooooo, Russian Doll has apparently gotten a second season?
I thought it was done after the final episode of season 1 :blank:

Time to rewatch the first season and then dive into the second, I guess :D 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Sooooo, Russian Doll has apparently gotten a second season?
I thought it was done after the final episode of season 1 :blank:

Time to rewatch the first season and then dive into the second, I guess :D 

They shadowdropped the 2nd season (2nd season was confirmed a long time ago)? I ended my Netflix subscription, but this was one of the things I actually wanted to see. But there was no news about a releasedate. I re-watched season 1 not too long ago. Maybe I'll ctach up in the Summer or at the end of the year (more likely). I don't feel like renewing Netflix for 1 month right now.

Edited by Sméagol

Yeah season 2 was confirmed ages ago. Think not long after the first. Think it just got delayed by Covid and all that.

Just started season 3 of Castlevania. It's an entertaining show, and I enjoy it. The final fights of season 2 seemed a bit too easy for the three of them but that's alright. I look forward to seeing where season 3 will go, it has already been set up nicely. I haven't played the games, though, so any game related comment goes past me - except I figured something was up with the boat on wheels comment.

I finished season 5 of Vikings last week. It's a great show, but as with many shows, the more seasons it runs the more the quality drops. It also does this Game of Thrones thing where months pass in a couple of minutes, and they just whack through character after character, introduce new ones who are gone after only a couple of episodes. I prefer when series keep their scope small instead of this endless branching out.

I also thought season 5 was the final season, and the last episode could as well have been a show finale. So I was surprised that there is a 6th season, I'm going to watch it but kind of hoped it ended here.

Finally started watching the final season of Ozark.

I forgot how intense it can be. Two episodes in and every wheel is turning and I can't figure out how it's going to end.

Absolutely love this show. If it nails the ending it will surpass Breaking Bad for me.

Watched the final episode of Kim's Convenience last night. What a bizarre finale. I can only assume they found out at the last second that they weren't getting renewed for another season or something, and so wrote some half-arsed 'endings' to wrap it all up. The endings all came out of nowhere though, especially Jung and Shannon. Weird.

Oh well, the rest of the show was pretty good. The first couple of episodes are rough, and we almost gave up watching a few times at the beginning, but the show finds it's footing eventually, and has some really funny moments.

39 minutes ago, bob said:

Watched the final episode of Kim's Convenience last night. What a bizarre finale. I can only assume they found out at the last second that they weren't getting renewed for another season or something, and so wrote some half-arsed 'endings' to wrap it all up. The endings all came out of nowhere though, especially Jung and Shannon. Weird.

Oh well, the rest of the show was pretty good. The first couple of episodes are rough, and we almost gave up watching a few times at the beginning, but the show finds it's footing eventually, and has some really funny moments.

The showrunner (or maybe creator? Or maybe that's the same person) left abruptly, the range of Korean voices in the writers room was reduced and they were unceremoniously cancelled. I can't recall if they were renewed then cancelled or just cancelled late on but either way. A few of the actors have spoken out about the last season.

Spoiler

They are also doing a spinoff where Shannon moves somewhere else and I think meets her half-siblings or something. That is why they ended in a weird way, although they did think the two shows were going to run in parallel. 

14 hours ago, Ashley said:

The showrunner (or maybe creator? Or maybe that's the same person) left abruptly, the range of Korean voices in the writers room was reduced and they were unceremoniously cancelled. I can't recall if they were renewed then cancelled or just cancelled late on but either way. A few of the actors have spoken out about the last season.

Minor spoilers for the finale (Reveal hidden contents)

They are also doing a spinoff where Shannon moves somewhere else and I think meets her half-siblings or something. That is why they ended in a weird way, although they did think the two shows were going to run in parallel. 

That makes so much sense...

Spoiler

My wife and I were talking about how bizarre it was that they threw a load of storylines at Shannon at once in the final episode - her breaking up with Jung, her revealing she's adopted, her getting a new job etc. It all seemed so random, but now it all makes sense.

Why they'd want to make a spin-off about her though, she's probably one of the least interesting characters. Personally, I want a show about Mr. Chin and Ginger.

3 hours ago, bob said:

That makes so much sense...

Spoilers for Kim's Convenience finale (Hide contents)

My wife and I were talking about how bizarre it was that they threw a load of storylines at Shannon at once in the final episode - her breaking up with Jung, her revealing she's adopted, her getting a new job etc. It all seemed so random, but now it all makes sense.

Why they'd want to make a spin-off about her though, she's probably one of the least interesting characters. Personally, I want a show about Mr. Chin and Ginger.

Yeah that's one thing Simu Liu complained about

Spoiler

Spinning off the only white character. He said he likes and respects the woman who played her and supports her, but to take the one white character from a Korean-led show felt very telling. 

Plus if we're getting her in anything they should have Cobie Smulders playing her sister because they look so much alike

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

Yeah that's one thing Simu Liu complained about

Kim's Convenience finale spoilers (Reveal hidden contents)

Spinning off the only white character. He said he likes and respects the woman who played her and supports her, but to take the one white character from a Korean-led show felt very telling. 

Plus if we're getting her in anything they should have Cobie Smulders playing her sister because they look so much alike

Spoiler

But she would only be a half-sister at most, so she wouldn't have to look that alike. Although i'm not complaining at the prospect of more Smulders.

Oh no I wasn't talking about that show, just in general. They do look a lot alike so someone should cast them as sisters. Plus they're both Canadian eh.

On 5/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, drahkon said:

the final season of Ozark

Halfway through now.

so-so-good.gif

Ozark is really good.

The ending is brilliant.

Loved it from start to finish :bowdown: 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sandler + Basketball = Instant watch from me.

Really hope this is more of a drama. Netflix says it's a Dramedy which I'm usually not too fond of.

This looks cool, love the variety.

Think I'll do get Netflix for a month in June to watch this and Russian Dolls.

Trailer for our very own Hamish's* new Netflix show Dead End: Paranormal Park has been released

*Okay he's not been here for ages but claiming it anyway

• Like 2

That's really cool! I remember his cool illustrations, and your can definitely see his style in that.

How does it work, I wonder, when making a whole animated show. Assuming he doesn't do all of the animation, do they task the other animators to match his style?

1 hour ago, bob said:

That's really cool! I remember his cool illustrations, and your can definitely see his style in that.

How does it work, I wonder, when making a whole animated show. Assuming he doesn't do all of the animation, do they task the other animators to match his style?

Yeah they'll make style guides. Here's an example from a little known show called The Simpsons: https://www.slashfilm.com/573760/the-simpsons-style-guide/

Finally watched Stranger Things 3.

Even though the story basically went nowhere, I loved it.
The setting, the special effects, the sound, the music, the cheesiness of it all.

And that speech at the end :cry:

Well, now I got season 4 to watch :D