NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

Spoiler

It was pretty obvious that 2052 will come into play. Marta was most likely the one knocking Jonas out in the final scene.

Also: I'm pretty stupid. It was quite obvious that Sam Porter Bridges is Jonas.

Looks like my theory that something similar to the Chernobyl disaster will happen in the future was correct.

As is the norm with time travel stories: a paradox arises.

So, Noah is at war with Claudia? Am I getting that right?
Noah's talk about war sounded like foreshadowing to some supernatural war between weird creatures. I really hope that's just imagery.

And Helge seeing/touching Jonas might've actually been something that wasn't planned/set in stone.

Not sure how I feel about that ending. It felt a bit artificial...in the sense that it was written later. Not sure if a second season was planned from the start, but it feels like it wasn't.

Season 1 was perfect right until the final 2-3 minutes. To be honest...I hate that ending. I'll definitely watch the second season to see if it makes sense and if the series/story can redeem itself.

Edited by drahkon

20 minutes ago, drahkon said:
  Dark - Season 1 Episode 9 + 10 (Hide contents)

It was pretty obvious that 2052 will come into play. Marta was most likely the one knocking Jonas out in the final scene.

Also: I'm pretty stupid. It was quite obvious that Sam Porter Bridges is Jonas.

Looks like my theory that something similar to the Chernobyl disaster will happen in the future was correct.

As is the norm with time travel stories: a paradox arises.

So, Noah is at war with Claudia? Am I getting that right?
Noah's talk about war sounded like foreshadowing to some supernatural war between weird creatures. I really hope that's just imagery.

And Helge seeing/touching Jonas might've actually been something that wasn't planned/set in stone.

Not sure how I feel about that ending. It felt a bit artificial...in the sense that it was written later. Not sure if a second season was planned from the start, but it feels like it wasn't.

Season 1 was perfect right until the final 2-3 minutes. To be honest...I hate that ending. I'll definitely watch the second season to see if it makes sense and if the series/story can redeem itself.

I wasn't a fan of the S1 ending at first either.. But trust me, they make it work. And they did plan for all of it. It was planned as a 3 season series from the start.. Obviously I have yet to see S3 and see how exactly it all comes together (S2 has a similar twist as S1), but S2 also explains a lot, and shows how at least some things (beautifully) fit together. Disregard the fact you don't like the ending right now, and keep watching.

I also have to restrain myself from commenting on your speculations. Well I say this: That girl that knocks out Jonas isn't Marta, I don't know how you get that. She's a new character, and must be a similar age as Marta in 2019. Her name was.. Silje I think.

35 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

That girl

Spoiler

That woman looks older than Marta in 2019.

But thinking about how Marta would be around 50 (assuming that this is actually 2052), my assumption was pretty bad, yeah. That woman definitely doesn't look that old :D

(Maybe you should use a spoiler tag for that one. There are few who just started/want to start watching the series and that sentence does spoil a little bit, i.e. that Jonas is alive at the end)

35 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

And they did plan for all of it. It was planned as a 3 season series from the start.

Good to know. It's always nice when a series is written to completion before it starts.

I have to say: Usually I'm not very fond of German productions (it's a mix of me not liking the language and not finding the actors/actresses particularly good). But this one is great. I enjoy watching it in German.

Edited by drahkon

A quick google search tells me the actress is 21. The actress playing Marta seems to actually be 23.. But I guess the

post-apocalypse

adds a few years.

Jonas being alive is not a spoiler. He's the main character.. If anything your comment spoils more for people starting the series as it implies

Spoiler

there are going to be casualties.

Edited by Sméagol

Spoiler

Looks like what I called "a second Chernobyl disaster" is actually the apocalypse.

Another key player to the bigger picture has been introduced: Adam. Will be interesting to see whether he's someone we already know.

Eye-patch dude has always been weird to me. Looking forward to getting to know his role in all of this.
Edit: Adam's right eye is a little busted...so I'm calling it now: Eye-patch dude is Adam.

I'm looking forward to seeing everybody's role in all of this :D

Final scene was a weird one. Not sure if I like it...looks way more supernatural to me than I hoped.

Also: I really hope that the personal intrigues aren't being put in the background. It's what made the first season so great.

Anyway, early days into season 2. The first episode served as a nice little exposition to something big, I assume.

Edited by drahkon

The show is all about the personal intrigue.. You'll get to see more of everybody.

Spoiler

Welp, I was wrong about Adam. It was obviously Jonas, yet again :D

Still no idea what this is all about.

Eye-patch man...is he actually Aleksander Köhler and the eye-patch is just a diversion? Maybe he also has heterochromia and decided to cover it up? Is he related to Claudia? Then again, this condition is rarely inherited (I think). ::shrug:

I always wonder what this "final cycle" is. Adam once said that in order to grow a new forest you have to burn the current one down...is it a restart? Destroy everything? Is it actually the Big Bang?

Anyways, whatever this is, I feel like something will change...Noah now knows what will happen but he doesn't want it to (if I interpreted his reaction correctly).

Sometimes I think that this loop was created by someone we haven't seen, yet. Someone just wanted to watch the world burn :D

The Bootstrap paradox is most likely the root of all. Or rather the question behind the paradox: Where did it all come from? I really hope this question will be answered...

Well, well, well...another episode awaits. Brb :p

Edited by drahkon

Urgh...

Spoiler

It was so obvious they're going down the multiverse road. I really hoped they wouldn't...

Anyways, lots of questions have been answered, lots of questions still need answers.

As with the Season 1 finale I am majorly disappointed. Season 2, however, was as awesome as the first right up until the end so I can only assume that season 3 will follow that trend. Hopefully they break that trend, though, and actually make me like the ending :D

Edited by drahkon

On 22.6.2020 at 2:15 AM, will' said:

I just read the overview on Dark and it sounds really good. I watch most of my Netflix with my wife and anything foreign language is kind of difficult, will have to see if I can find time to watch this alone.

There's an English dubbing. If you can live with the lip movement being weird, I think it's alright. We watch it in German as we are used to hearing German (we are taught German in primary school).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

There's an English dubbing. If you can live with the lip movement being weird, I think it's alright. We watch it in German as we are used to hearing German (we are taught German in primary school).

Oh that’s very good to know, thanks! We have started watching it in German and it’s been a bit difficult, will give the dub a try and see how we get on.

Moved over to the English dub of Dark and it did improve how well we could follow things, will carry on watching with it.

I have to say the quality of the English dub is pretty bad though. The translation is not consistent with the subtitles and I can only assume they chose the voice actors with a dart board. Not only do the voices not seem to match the characters but they are totally the wrong age. Every character sounds like an early 20’s American college student.

I suppose I shouldn’t complain given I’m the one choosing to watch it like this, but it would be nice if they’d put a bit more effort into it.

Watched the Middleditch & Schwartz special on Netflix.

Haven't laughed this hard in ages :D Their improv skills are off the chains.

Netflix released Cursed just before the weekend - has anyone seen anything from it? It has been review bombed quite a lot on IMDb so it's impossible to use that for guidance - people complain for the most part that it's a different take on the Excalibur and King Arthur stories, it seems. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 73 % which seems to be more accurate.

Anyway - anyone seen it and can give an honest opinion?

1 minute ago, MindFreak said:

Netflix released Cursed just before the weekend - has anyone seen anything from it? It has been review bombed quite a lot on IMDb so it's impossible to use that for guidance - people complain for the most part that it's a different take on the Excalibur and King Arthur stories, it seems. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 73 % which seems to be more accurate.

Anyway - anyone seen it and can give an honest opinion?

I know someone who is currently watching it. They said it starts off a bit iffy but settles after a few episodes and they’re now really enjoying it.

• Like 1

We're just on the HD plan. About 90% of the time my wife doesn't wear her glasses so she can't even tell the difference between SD and HD, so it would be wasted on her, and she watches it the most out of all of us.

We're still on the SD plan. I don't know why anyone would even need so many pixels.

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Do any of you pay for the 4K tier of Netflix and if so, is it worth it?

We have the 4k plan. They do have quite a fair bit of 4k content and the picture quality is definitely good. I’m not sure if we’d notice too much if we didn’t have the 4k anymore though. It costs $20 a month here and you get access on a lot of devices etc. For me the overall plan is worth it.

• Thanks 1

We also have the Standard HD one. I don't have a 4K TV, plus 2 screens is enough. My brother uses my account as well, and one time it occured that I couldn't watch because my brother and my girlfriend (who was travelling for business) were watching haha. But that's not enough to upgrade.

We've finished watching Bron (The Bridge) season one yesterday. It's a Danish/Swedish crime series, and was well worth watching. I think there are also a UK and a US adaptation of it, but the original one is still rated highest.

There is something in these Scandinavian crime series I really like. The acting is always a bit clumsy, weird even, as if they are struggling with emotions or something. But somehow they keep dragging me in. I can't put my finger on it what it is with this Scandinavian acting, but I also experienced it in the Swedish The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movies, and in the Finnish series Arctic Circle.

6 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

We also have the Standard HD one. I don't have a 4K TV, plus 2 screens is enough. My brother uses my account as well, and one time it occured that I couldn't watch because my brother and my girlfriend (who was travelling for business) were watching haha. But that's not enough to upgrade.

We've finished watching Bron (The Bridge) season one yesterday. It's a Danish/Swedish crime series, and was well worth watching. I think there are also a UK and a US adaptation of it, but the original one is still rated highest.

There is something in these Scandinavian crime series I really like. The acting is always a bit clumsy, weird even, as if they are struggling with emotions or something. But somehow they keep dragging me in. I can't put my finger on it what it is with this Scandinavian acting, but I also experienced it in the Swedish The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movies, and in the Finnish series Arctic Circle.

I think that's just how Scandinavian's are...

Yeah. Emotions aren't our strongest trait. :D

I'd recommend Borgen (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1526318/) if you are into Scandinavian stuff. It's a really good show that Netflix has just picked up on and will release a fifth season of. Sidse Babett Knudsen is the lead actress along with Pilou Asbæk and Birgitte Hjort, three really good actors / actresses. 

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

I was on the 4k plan but that was mostly for the amount of simultaneous streams. Now on HD as I think this TV is only HD anyway.