NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

42 minutes ago, bob said:
12 hours ago, MindFreak said:
Just watched Klaus. Such a good, heartwarming movie with beautiful animation and great acting. It's a fun take on the Santa Claus-myth. 

What do you mean, myth?

Sorry. Meant mythology.

Yeah, I'm liking it too. Not as slick as Game of Thrones (ending notwithstanding..), but yeah. It's Geralt. Doing witching stuff. Renfri was a cutie!

Yeah, that was a really great start to the show. The setting is really good, and while some of the stuff was a bit hard to follow for people not knowing of the story in the books (my wife kept asking questions), I think it did a good job. Looking forward to seeing the next episodes!

Just finished watching the last episode. Really enjoyed the series overall. It was fun recognising bits from the games and the few short stories I've previously read. I thought the majority of the cast did a great job, my only worries being Ciri and Triss as both just feel too bland. Hopefully season 2 will fix that as I'm certainly not ready to write them off just yet.

Also, iwould go to a Dandelion concert.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

Finished Witcher this afternoon. It was a pretty good show with some solid acting, interesting characters and a solid story. The only thing I remember irritating me during it was that each episode felt like a Monster of the Week show. I got that the stories were intertwined and that it made sense, it just felt a bit off. 

Now they should hurry up with the second season! 

(Also glad that they didn't go far into the main story of the books so almost no spoilers to me in that regard. I'm about to finally finish the second book.) 

Really enjoyed the Witcher, and was surprised that I did following the first two episodes, which weren't very good. Cavill can't act for toffee, and though I appreciate he cares a lot and is giving his all, I wasn't surprised when I found out they cut a lot of his dialogue.

The Yennefer origin is superb though, and I love the confusing nature of the timelines. I do hope they keep that for season 2. 

The movie based on the game Ni No Kuni from 2011/2013 has been released on Netflix. I have added it to my list. Has anyone seen it?

Edited by MindFreak

I haven't. I didn't know there was a film about it.

I also didn't know there was a film about Dragon Quest, but apparently that's also coming later this year to western Netflix.

I also tried this French time travel drama "Twice upon a time" (forgot the exact French title), but didn't like it.

Sad to see that Mindhunter has been put on indefinite hold while David Fincher gets on with his Netflix film and the second season of Love, Death and Robots. A real shame as I really liked the second season and it was definitely setting up what was going to happen next, slowly, in the background. There was obviously a larger than normal gap between the first and second seasons than compared with most shows but given that the actors have all been released from contract, it doesn't sound great for the show coming back any time soon or at all for that matter.

Yeah I'm also not happy with Mindhunter not having a confirmed season 3. I mean technically it isn't cancelled, but they're usually happy to announce a season 3 asap. Mind Hunters is one of my favourite shows on Netflix. I actually don't watch a lot on it, but I was watching that.

I was also unaware they cancelled the OA. I didn't like the first season, and even in season 2 there was stuff I don't like about it, but the story was getting intriguing. But we're not going to find out what happens in that 3rd parallel universe.

On 16/01/2020 at 10:40 AM, MindFreak said:

The movie based on the game Ni No Kuni from 2011/2013 has been released on Netflix. I have added it to my list. Has anyone seen it?

I'll be watching it tonight.

On 16/01/2020 at 4:48 PM, Sméagol said:

I also didn't know there was a film about Dragon Quest, but apparently that's also coming later this year to western Netflix.

The Dragon Quest movie comes out 13th Feb.

Watched the Ni No Kuni movie. Fairly predictable, but I liked it. Made me want to play the first game but I've got too much to play currently.

Netflix have bought up the streaming rights to a large portion of Studio Ghibli's films for streaming internationally (outside USA, Canada and Japan, so UK and Europe, etc.) and will start streaming them from Feb 1st.

They're rolling out in batches over 3 months as follows:

February 1, 2020:
Castle in the Sky (1986)
My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
Only Yesterday (1991)
Porco Rosso (1992)
Ocean Waves (1993)
Tales From Earthsea (2006)

March 1, 2020:
Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind (1984)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
My Neighbors The Yamadas (1999)
Spirited Away (2001)
The Cat Returns (2002)
Arrietty (2010)
The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

April 1, 2020:
Pom Poko (1994)
Whisper Of The Heart (1995)
Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea (2008)
From Up On Poppy Hill (2011)
The Wind Rises (2013)
When Marnie Was There (2014)

So happy that these are being made available to stream. I have several on DVD and I've been slowly introducing the missus to them but I can now show her some of the other ones we haven't got.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Netflix have bought up the streaming rights to a large portion of Studio Ghibli's films for streaming internationally (outside USA, Canada and Japan, so UK and Europe, etc.) and will start streaming them from Feb 1st.

They're rolling out in batches over 3 months as follows:

February 1, 2020:
Castle in the Sky (1986)
My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
Only Yesterday (1991)
Porco Rosso (1992)
Ocean Waves (1993)
Tales From Earthsea (2006)

March 1, 2020:
Nausicaä Of The Valley Of The Wind (1984)
Princess Mononoke (1997)
My Neighbors The Yamadas (1999)
Spirited Away (2001)
The Cat Returns (2002)
Arrietty (2010)
The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya (2013)

April 1, 2020:
Pom Poko (1994)
Whisper Of The Heart (1995)
Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea (2008)
From Up On Poppy Hill (2011)
The Wind Rises (2013)
When Marnie Was There (2014)

So happy that these are being made available to stream. I have several on DVD and I've been slowly introducing the missus to them but I can now show her some of the other ones we haven't got.

Oh, heck yeah. LOVE me some Ghibli.

As much as I love Disney, and have a greater nostalgic bond with that brand (and particularly Pixar - the first Toy Story was that film that I would just keep putting back into the video player before I could even talk!), there's a lesson to be learned in every Ghibli film, and a special peacefulness and childlike wander to find in every single one. Some of these are among the greatest feats in cinema, and my favourite films, and a great stepping stone into the wider world of anime and, perhaps much more importantly these days, gaining a greater understanding and appreciation for other cultures and ideas. Plus, the animation is absolutely gorgeous across the board.

For anyone new to any of these films, and especially to those entirely fresh to Ghibli, I hope that you have a great time with them when they roll out :peace: definitely got some recommendations up my sleeve if anyone isn't sure about which to watch or has questions about any, as there are only a few which I've yet to watch myself.

I've actually been completing the Ghibli collection on blu-ray for the last few years, and with this rolling out to Netflix, it seems almost inevitable that I'll end up catching those I haven't seen on there and wind up not completing my collection.

So...off to Amazon! :grin:

I think what is better than this news is seeing all the Americans going "what about uuuuuuuss?" Makes a welcome change :p 

Although I wonder why some films (such as Grave of the Fireflies) are left off.

26 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think what is better than this news is seeing all the Americans going "what about uuuuuuuss?" Makes a welcome change :p 

Seriously. English dubs of a number of major anime series (Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball [and Z, and Super?], etc.) simply aren't being released for wider viewing over here, even on streaming platforms, for almost no apparent reason. Then you have weird cases, like Code Geass, where the second season isn't available ::shrug: just pick up the rights already, man...

WE LIKE ANIME TOO

Although I wonder why some films (such as Grave of the Fireflies) are left off.

I think the answer is pretty clear here: get everyone to fall in love with the charm and whimsy of Ghibli films, which will attract an audience for future releases on the platform...before destroying them with the emotional torture of Grave of the Fireflies

• Sad 1

That's pretty cool, though I still intend to collect all of them on Blu-ray at some point, the cool Japanese releases. All of them, so that includes the best like Nausicaa and Kiki's delivery service, and the worst, like Tales from Earthsea and Grave of the fireflies.

You can turn off auto play trailers now. You need to do it through the  web browser version, but it will affect all platforms.

If they get rid of the irritating pop ups that happen during the credits of a show or a film then my two main gripes would be resolved. 

I watched Dragon Quest: Your Story this evening. The film moves stupidly fast at the start and if you haven't played DQV then I think a lot is going to be lost on you. Certain story beats from the game are there and fans of it will get a kick out of a lot of scenes (Metal Slime scene had me in stitches) but everyone else will probably a bit lost.

There's a lot of comedy in it and Luca's reactions and bumbling about did get a good laugh out of me. His banter with Bianca is pretty funny and very light hearted.

I think they done a great job of capturing the world of Dragon Quest. The music, characters and monster designs were all spot on. Every time the DQ theme hit I had a smile on my face.

I really enjoyed it and actually liked how things played out but I imagine certain things will not sit right with a lot of fans.

Will you be watching it, @Ike, @Jonnas and @Grazza?

• Thanks 1

To be honest, I probably won't watch it soon. I don't usually watch films by myself (not at home, anyway), and my busy schedule doesn't help much.

Furthermore, while I'm familiar with the first twist (I assume it's the rushed beginning you mentioned), I haven't played DQV all the way through, so I'll always be wary of spoilers (not that DQ is that spoilable a series to begin with, but still).

But hey, you never know.