NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

I'm in two minds about The Witcher. Generally speaking, it looks good and there's clearly a lot of budget being put into it. I'm happy that they're expanding on Yennefer's back story about her becoming a sorceress and I like that they're giving us the short stories of the first 2 books with a little of Blood of Elves (the start of the main line story) as that should be good for setting up the world for those not familiar with the books but also for getting things rolling for the main story of Geralt and Ciri. Looking forward to seeing the butcher of Blaviken story and loved the little touch at the end of him post potions, with the pale face and dilated pupils, very on point there.

Some of the shots in the trailer were a bit off but things like the CG that people are complaining about will be fixed over the coming months given they're only 2 months out from finishing shooting. It is a shame that the Nilfgaardian armour is still the bin bag look but the Cintran armour looked great.

I'm somewhat more optimistic about it after the trailer but I've still got my doubts over it because I've loved reading the books as much as I've enjoyed the games so even just going off the books, it's got a lot to live up to in my mind. But as I say, I'm hopeful and I'll be there on release to watch.

Edited by Ganepark32

The fourth and final season of The Good Place is set to come to Netflix in the UK weekly from Sept. 27th. Presumably it'll continue the pattern of previous seasons and show two thirds this year and the final part at the start of next. Interested to see where it goes and hope for a decent wrap up to it as it's been one of the most refreshing shows of recent years.

Also looking forward to seeing Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling when it comes to Netflix on August 9th. Used to watch the cartoon so much growing up and watching the trailer has brought back so many memories of those younger years. I just hope it's good and doesn't put a dent in those childhood memories for me.

Edited by Ganepark32

We've just finished watching the final season of Orange is the New Black..

Spoiler

What a waste of time :nono:

On 29/07/2019 at 6:06 PM, Ganepark32 said:

The fourth and final season of The Good Place is set to come to Netflix in the UK weekly from Sept. 27th. Presumably it'll continue the pattern of previous seasons and show two thirds this year and the final part at the start of next. Interested to see where it goes and hope for a decent wrap up to it as it's been one of the most refreshing shows of recent years.

Oh yeah it'll follow the same pattern as the last few years. There will be a week or two break at the end of November for Thanksgiving, back for a week or so and then off until early January. 

They finished filming the other day so now we wait...

Do you listen to the official podcast by the way? It's pretty good. 

On 09/08/2019 at 12:51 AM, nekunando said:

We've just finished watching the final season of Orange is the New Black..

Thoughts (Hide contents)

What a waste of time :nono:

The show died two seasons ago for me. It's a shame because it started out brilliant but they should've ended it a while back. Try Wentworth if you get the chance. I've seen them all now and it's amazing.

I'm halfway through When They See Us. Absolutely gripping. I started tearing up at one stage. Highly recommend it.

• Thanks 1

On 09/08/2019 at 12:04 PM, Ashley said:

Oh yeah it'll follow the same pattern as the last few years. There will be a week or two break at the end of November for Thanksgiving, back for a week or so and then off until early January. 

They finished filming the other day so now we wait...

Do you listen to the official podcast by the way? It's pretty good. 

Was kind of hoping they'd buck the trend of doing that with previous seasons as it seems like such a protracted way to broadcast a show. Still, looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. I have been meaning to check out the podcast as I've heard good things so maybe I'll add it to my rotation of stuff this week if I get a chance and give it a go.

The final trailer has been released for Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance and it just looks incredible.

I've not watched the original movie but you can bet I'll be watching this. I love seeing practical effects and such in films and this just looks to be off the charts there and in terms of production values. Even my partner who struggles with the fantasy stuff says she's in after watching the trailer. August 30th here we come.

Mindhunters season 2 releases this Friday. Anyone else going to be watching? Curious to see where this one goes but hoping it maintains the generally high quality of the first season.

Busy end of the year for tv and it only starts with this stuff but can't wait as I don't remember a time when there's been such a wide variety of high quality content available across multiple platforms. Exciting but stressful times trying to fit it all in.

It's the American way. It's built around the peaks of sweeps, holidays and in this particular case getting it over with for a midseason replacement.

On 13/08/2019 at 6:51 PM, Ganepark32 said:

Anyone else going to be watching?

Me obviously. Looking forward to this and Dark Crystal.

That said, I barely watch any Netflix nowadays.. Busy gaming. But I took a break from Fire Emblem this weekend to do a little catching up. Watched Stranger Things season 3.. Which was hmm. Ok. I guess? I wasn't super impressed, except for that ending. That duet was great. But I also watched Dark. Rewatched season 1, and then season 2 right after it. Good stuff. Giant clusterfuck though, haha. But then that cliffhanger.. Argh. It's going to be a long wait.

Blasted through latest season of Archer last night. Sadly not as good as previous seasons, but again an interesting take.

Mindhunter! I’m on episode 5 and just wow. The show easily maintains the same high quality of the first season. 

Yeah I loved Mindhunters just like first season. Though the story is appropriately frustrating, haha. And I spoiled myself on the wikipedia info on the BTK killer, if he's the focus next season, I expect that season to be frustrating as well. :laughing:

Looks good. I'm excited. A different take on The Witcher, but it looks like they nailed the vibe.

Very good trailer. Enjoyed it.

Is this story different from the books? It seems like they are mixing things a bit and tell some of the story before Geralt met Ciri? 

I'm about halfway through the second book - haven't read so much lately as games have taken my time but could probably finish the second book before this show airs.

Don't know if anyone else has watched it but I finished up The Kominsky Method season 2 the other day and again, really enjoyed it. Alan Arkin continues to be fantastic and carries the "couldn't give a shit" attitude that I hope I'll have when I'm that age and even Michael Douglas, who I'm not a massive fan of, was great. I did feel like this series felt as though the wheels were spinning but it didn't move forward much, which is especially true with how flat the ending to it was, but the character growth throughout was well done and it's nicely set up for continuing with a third series so fingers crossed that gets commissioned by Netflix but I'm not holding a huge amount of hope given that it seems to have flown below the radar.

@Happenstance have you watched  the Power Rangers episode of The Toys That Made Us? Great viewing. There's a wrestling toys episode as well but I've not watched that yet.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

@Happenstance have you watched  the Power Rangers episode of The Toys That Made Us? Great viewing. There's a wrestling toys episode as well but I've not watched that yet.

No I haven't but definitely sounds like aomething I'd like so I'll give them a watch, thanks.

Could be interesting? Maybe a bit too religious. :indeed: Love seeing Michelle Monaghan again though.

The final trailer for The Witcher:

It looks good, though I do agree with an opinion I saw on Era that said there is a bit of BBC quality to it as I can definitely see a bit of that in the production (kind of like Merlin and such). Still, looking forward to seeing how they're adapting it and if it pays off. They're mixing both the saga and the short stories is seems going by characters in the trailer as well from what the head writer has said. I can understand why, I just hope it all come together well.

I've seen what is supposed to be the stories they're focusing on for the show from the books. Putting them in a spoiler tag in case people who have read the short stories don't want to know ahead of watching.

Spoiler
  • Episode 1: The Lesser Evil
  • Episode 2: The Edge of The World
  • Episode 3: The Witcher
  • Episode 4: A Question of Price
  • Episode 5: The Last Wish
  • Episode 6: The Bounds of Reason
  • Episode 7: Sword of Destiny
  • Episode 8: Something More

Some of them I've spotted in the various trailers along the way, such as episode 4, but I'm surprised they're doing one in particular. Had thought they'd maybe save what is apparently episode 6 for the second season but intrigued to see if they can pull that off well.

Edited by Ganepark32
  • Like 1

Just watched Klaus. Such a good, heartwarming movie with beautiful animation and great acting. It's a fun take on the Santa Claus-myth. 

Just watched Klaus. Such a good, heartwarming movie with beautiful animation and great acting. It's a fun take on the Santa Claus-myth. 
What do you mean, myth?