NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

It looks like BBC and ITV are set to launch their own Netflix type service.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47383559

You have to wonder what the breaking point will be once all of these services are up and running. It's bad enough now having shows split across things like Amazon, YouTube, Netflix, BT and Sky without BBC, ITV and Disney entering into the mix. I can't imagine people wanting to pay numerous subscription prices just to watch their favourite shows. Kinda makes me grateful that I don't watch much TV.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You have to wonder what the breaking point will be once all of these services are up and running. It's bad enough now having shows split across things like Amazon, YouTube, Netflix, BT and Sky without BBC, ITV and Disney entering into the mix. I can't imagine people wanting to pay numerous subscription prices just to watch their favourite shows. Kinda makes me grateful that I don't watch much TV.

Yeah, I've got to agree. One of the big selling points early on was that a Netflix subscription might have most of what you want to watch, so you can throw your cable fees out of the window and save a lot of money per month. How long before we start to see people just bundling these subscriptions together and we find ourselves where we were at a decade or so ago, but with cable television? 

It's pretty barmy. I don't watch much television either, but when I do, I'm pretty particular when I go about it, and build up a short list of things that I can watch if I subscribe to, say, Netflix for a month, and then cancel my subscription after that month. I know that some of my friends pretty much swap between streaming subscriptions every month too.

My worry going into Disney+ (which I'll pick up for The Mandalorian and the return of The Clone Wars) is that I can see them drip-feeding episodes, as opposed to dropping them all at once so that they can be binged like they can elsewhere. For Star Wars fans, for instance, like me who are planning to subscribe solely for their Star Wars offering, both The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars are expected to be released by the end of the year, the former having 10 episodes and the latter having 12. I'm not sure how long episodes of The Mandalorian are going to be, but assuming that they're an hour long, and The Clone Wars episodes are going to be in similar in length to the 22 minute runtime they had before, you're looking at 14-15 hours of content. It certainly won't be the case for everyone, but I know a lot of people who could get through that in a week ::shrug:

Pretty annoying that football rights have been splintering off left and right too...

• Like 1

It has to be even worse before things will get better. All those different streaming services now compete for the market but some of them will have to surrender, in order for the market to stabilize around 3 or 4 major services that can share it. I look forward to that as it will start to get chaotic and result in people switching around every month or two.

I dunno what to think. I loved the vibe of season1 , but the story was absolutely baffling at the end, in a not good way.

But now this trailer shows up, and there's actually another dimension involved..

Maybe it ends up interesting after all. But the downside is that I've forgotten all about season 1 except for THE DANCE that I'll need to rewatch it..

Also, this will come to Netflix eventually.

Binged Russian Doll in a couple of evenings. Well worth a watch. The less you know about it going in, the better. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dog-amoto said:

Binged Russian Doll in a couple of evenings. Well worth a watch. The less you know about it going in, the better. 

That series ticked all the boxes for me. Interesting premise, short enough to binge, great characters, banging soundtrack and a satisfying ending. Loved it, tbh.

• Like 1

Just watched the first episode of Russian Doll.

Captivating, interesting, wonderful characters. Won't be able to binge it right now, but maybe tomorrow :D 

Funny. I watched the trailer and didn't really think much of it. It seems a bit long for the premise and didn't really capture my interest. 

Watched Behind the Curve - a documentary about the flat earth movement.

Went in expecting to have a right old laugh at some morons' expense, and ended up feeling really sorry for all of them. When lots of them said that they'd basically lost all their friends and family because they were flat earthers, and the way that they had all basically become social pariahs because of it, it's just a bit sad.

Still laughed a fair bit though.

• Like 1

Yeah the bad thing about Netflix using autoplay videos now when hovering over selections, apart from having autoplay videos, is dat you don't get an immediate description of what it is what you're hovering over. See @bob? You described it to me. It sounds interesting (and/or funny). It never looked interesting when I saw the title in my menu, but that's because I didn't know what it was about because Netflix doesn't describe things anymore immediately, and I'm much less inclined to just browse and instead to just search for stuff I already know is on there and I know interests me. This sounds like a lose / lose situation for Netflix? Not only that, they keep bothering me for my phone number lately, which they're not getting. But enough about complaints.

"Nads, what the fuck?"
"Look, I've got bigger fish to fry, ok? I've got to figure out how to get down the stairs."

What a fucking spectacularly good show Russian Doll is. It balances hilariously funny and mournfully sad perfectly. 

Natasha Lyonne's performance is nothing short of masterful.

I'll be sure to annoy everyone I know with a recommendation in the next few months. 

• Like 2

I'm not usually a fan of the stuff Ricky Gervais does but I ended up watch all 6 episodes back to back of his new series on Netflix called After Life. It's about a man who has lost his wife to Cancer and how he tries to cope with depression, suicide and his life after she is gone. It's a subject that is very close to me for a number of reasons and I really enjoyed the whole thing. The comedy moments in it were really hilarious due to how blunt Ricky's character is but I also found the series had a lot of heart to it. There were a couple of times where I shed a tear or two due to how real some of the things that he spoke about were. I honestly found myself agreeing with a lot of the angry rants he had about how messed up the world is. It was pretty freaky just how much of his characters thoughts mirror my own.

Highly recommended.:peace:

• Thanks 1

Just tried the first 3 (standalone) episodes of Love Death + Robots (averaging roughly 15 minutes so far), and I'm already starting to think it's as brilliant as I imagined it would be. I'll elaborate on individual episodes later, but Iove how diverse it already is. I wish there was more 2D though, I think there is, but so far the episodes have been 3D. But in wildly different styles. They're also different genres. First was gory action and thriller with some twists, 2nd comedy, and 3rd a bit of Kafka horror or something.. Start watching if you liked the Animatrix for example.

4th episode looked like it could be something out of the upcoming Borderlands.

On ‎11‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 7:25 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm not usually a fan of the stuff Ricky Gervais does but I ended up watch all 6 episodes back to back of his new series on Netflix called After Life. It's about a man who has lost his wife to Cancer and how he tries to cope with depression, suicide and his life after she is gone. It's a subject that is very close to me for a number of reasons and I really enjoyed the whole thing. The comedy moments in it were really hilarious due to how blunt Ricky's character is but I also found the series had a lot of heart to it. There were a couple of times where I shed a tear or two due to how real some of the things that he spoke about were. I honestly found myself agreeing with a lot of the angry rants he had about how messed up the world is. It was pretty freaky just how much of his characters thoughts mirror my own.

I like him even more as time goes on.  Derek was misunderstood genius, in my opinion, and David Brent: Life on the Road is the best TV-to-film adaptation I've ever seen.  It's literally the only one that conveys exactly the same tone as the TV series.

I'll look out for this one; thanks for the recommendation.

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

God the new Arrested Development episodes are painful.

Watched the first two last night, didn't think it could get any worse than Season 4 but they've somehow found a way. Can't imagine it'll improve at all but I'll undoubtedly watch through the rest of it. 

Surely Netflix will cancel it pretty soon and put everyone out of their misery. There can't be anyone who still finds it enjoyable can there?

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

God the new Arrested Development episodes are painful.

I just finished watching them and they’re probably the worst I’ve seen. :( 

14 hours ago, killthenet said:

Watched the first two last night, didn't think it could get any worse than Season 4 but they've somehow found a way. Can't imagine it'll improve at all but I'll undoubtedly watch through the rest of it. 

Surely Netflix will cancel it pretty soon and put everyone out of their misery. There can't be anyone who still finds it enjoyable can there?

Even the cast don't seem to be enjoying it. Seems only Jessica Walters, and to a lesser extent Alia Shawkat, seems to be even trying. 

On 15/03/2019 at 12:02 PM, Sméagol said:

Just tried the first 3 (standalone) episodes of Love Death + Robots (averaging roughly 15 minutes so far), and I'm already starting to think it's as brilliant as I imagined it would be. I'll elaborate on individual episodes later, but Iove how diverse it already is. I wish there was more 2D though, I think there is, but so far the episodes have been 3D. But in wildly different styles. They're also different genres. First was gory action and thriller with some twists, 2nd comedy, and 3rd a bit of Kafka horror or something.. Start watching if you liked the Animatrix for example.

Watched the full series over the weekend. Very good overall. The nature of the short, stand alone episodes means that even if there's a bad episode, it doesn't last long and the next will likely be better.

The only thing I didn't like is something I dislike about a lot of Netflix exclusives. Just because it's a web only series and not limited by TV network standards, doesn't mean they need to throw every swear word and all the sex they can at it. Sometimes it just seems like Netflix exclusives try a bit too hard to be edgy and it just feels forced. The first episode was the worst for this IMO.

A very good series overall though. It's hard to review properly, as it was so varied throughout. Some of the CGI was just unreal.

43 minutes ago, Goafer said:

A very good series overall though. It's hard to review properly, as it was so varied throughout. Some of the CGI was just unreal.

All CGI is unreal.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

All CGI is unreal.

Not true. Some is made with Unity.

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1