NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

It's much much better than the first trailer made everyone think it was going to be. Seemed it was going to be terrible edgelord trash but it's actually a cut above all the soap opera CW shows like Arrow, Flash and actually tells a coherent story (with no love triangles or secret keeping trust issues! As far as I can tell).

Definitely worth a try at least.

• Thanks 1

Sex Education is one of the best things I've ever seen on Netflix. It's a British comedy drama series but is heavily influenced by the romantic comedy films of the 80s and 90s. Reminds me a bit of Skins was a decade ago but without all the OTT drug-taking. 

Edited by Tim B
added a word

Wife wanted to watch YOU, so I accepted (it's much better when she suggests a show to watch - she doesn't fall asleep during the episodes and actually wants to continue it..). It's alright, it's intriguing but a bit slow, the episodes feel a bit too long. It's not so long, though, so will probably endure:

1 hour ago, Tim B said:

You is are next on my Netflix list to try out. I've only heard great things.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 15/01/2019 at 7:35 PM, Tim B said:

Sex Education is one of the best things I've ever seen on Netflix. It's a British comedy drama series but is heavily influenced by the romantic comedy films of the 80s and 90s. Reminds me a bit of Skins was a decade ago but without all the OTT drug-taking. 

Started watching this. Although I find the 80s American high school aesthetic a bit weird for something set in current day UK, I'm finding it very good so far.

The waiting room Mexican wave in episode 3 might have been the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Very well handled episode overall. Serious where it needed to be, but didn't drop it's sense of humour.

Finished YOU last night, and while I think the overall premise was good, the show was one or two episodes too long (i.e. stuff dragged out and felt slow, and nothing really happened a lot of the time). The acting from especially Joe was great but I don't think that alone can carry another season, and I think they should rather just have ended it in season one rather than carry on. Oh well, probably won't watch the second season when it comes.

Now what to watch? Want to finish A Series of Unfortunate Events but my wife fell asleep during an episode in season 2 and we haven't restarted that one yet. It's been a while. Then there is The Flash season 4 (I'll avoid Arrow season 6 altogether) and Titans, will probably try to convince her to watch Titans with me. Also, Daredevil season 3 is still unwatched and I really want to see that. I also want to finish Sabrina although that's not high on the list. We watch Brooklyn Nine Nine in between shows but Netflix only has four seasons and we have just watched the halloween episode in season 4 (great stuff). Finally, there are some movies we have yet to watch. 

I really miss her weekly night shift. :D 

Been watching The Kominsky Method with the missus and 4 episodes in, we're really enjoying it so far. I didn't really know what to expect going in and though the trailer had looked decent enough, I was worried there wouldn't be much substance to the show but it's turned out to be pretty good.

Compared to some of the other stuff that Chuck Lorre has created over the years, this seems to have much more heart. It's well written, light on the laughs it could be said but it makes up for it with some heartfelt story and good characters.

Michael Douglas is getting a lot of attention for is performance (winning a Golden Globe for it but given who was also up for nomination, I probably wouldn't have gone with him. I think Bill Hader put in a better performance in Barry but I digress) but I have to say that it's Alan Arkin who I think is the big draw for me. Where they've gone with the story for his character, how true to life it all feels for that scenario and just how well acted it's been by him has been great and heartbreaking to watch. Looking forward to finishing it up and happy to see a second series is on the way.

Besides that, I've finished up season 13 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and thought that was good, maybe not as good as earlier series but not as bad as some have made it out to be, though I do agree that I don't know how much long they'll manage to eek it out for. And I've started watching The Last Kingdom which has also been surprisingly good. Half way through the second season of that and enjoying seeing a different perspective to that time period than Vikings has been doing.

On 23/12/2018 at 5:25 AM, DriftKaiser said:

What the fuck at the ending of Travelers Season 3. 

Just saw it last night... Quite the mindfuck.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2019 at 2:08 AM, Sméagol said:

I don't often watch documentaries, but this is one I'm interested in:

I was flicking through Netflix last night and found this. I remember seeing that sandwitch photo on Twitter a few years ago and decided to watch it at 12:30am. Was about 3:00am when I got done with it but it was really interesting to see what happened to that crappy festival. Glad that wierdo went to jail for all that crap he put those guys through.

Not sure who else is interested in it but new trailer out for The Umbrella Academy.

It's looking good. Looks to be capturing the dysfunctional family dynamic aspect well enough from the snippets. Curious how far they'll go with this first season of episodes and whether they'll do the full apocalypse suite with it. Either way, looking forward to watching it on the 15th February.

Russian Dolls look ace. It's like Death version of Groundhog Day where the girl kept goes back to the same night after died in various ways. 

On 27/01/2019 at 4:09 PM, DriftKaiser said:

Russian Dolls look ace. It's like Death version of Groundhog Day where the girl kept goes back to the same night after died in various ways. 

That sounds familiar. Anyway, I love Natasha Lyonne, and I love time loop stuff, so I'll check it  out.

I started a long post earlier about travelers, but didn't finish it. In short: ehm yeah ok, the other 2 seasons are better than the first, though still not fantastic. The ending was pretty good though. Maybe I'll elaborate later as I had more to say, but that's the gist of it.

And Star Trek season 2 has started, but I don't see any posts in the Star Trek thread.. I liked the first episode, but can't watch the 2nd until my festival is over. Unless I find some spare time before that.

• Like 1

Done with the film festival, I sampled 4 new series today by watching their first episodes.

Nightflyers was one I was interested in, but the first episode is disappointing. It's pretty bad. It looks like they just stuffed in one scifi / horror cliché after another. I'll continue watching for now, to see if it improves, but I suspect it's not a show worth your time.

Next up was Russian doll as mentioned by @DriftKaiser. Somewhat similar concept as Happy Death day, except as a series, and Natasha Lyonne's character doesn't necesarrily get murdered. It also has a totally different vibe and sense of humour. And as a series, it will be able to explore some side characters. I like it so far.

Then there's Always a witch / Siempre Bruja, something that simply caught my eye on the homepage. A Colombian show about a time traveling witch. That sounded awesome, but I found it a bit disappointing. Pacing is a bit too fast, with lots of quick flashbacks in the first episode, and not enough time to show Carmen adjusting to our time. Carmen is a witch from the 17th century who traveled to our time with a mission after being burned on the stake. It feels too cheap and small-scaled.

Kingdom is the Korean zombie period drama I've been trying to hype here. So far it's living up to my expectations. Exciting, great atmosphere, intrigue and good build-up. That's why I'm going to watch episode 2 right away.

Edited by Sméagol

On 2/3/2019 at 8:23 PM, Sméagol said:

Nightflyers was one I was interested in, but the first episode is disappointing. It's pretty bad. It looks like they just stuffed in one scifi / horror cliché after another. I'll continue watching for now, to see if it improves, but I suspect it's not a show worth your time.

I watched it until the end. I wished I hadn't. If It'd known SyFy had made it I wouldn't have started. Stop. Stop now. For your own good!

• Thanks 1

I was down with the flu for a couple of days this week, which meant I finally got a chance to catch up on some of my Netflix watch list! I watched Fyre as well, very interesting and bizarre what happened there. It baffles me there was no health inspection/safety inspection who called it off. I mean, don't you need a ton of permits for such an event? Good marketing from them, though...

I also watched Making Fun: The Story of Funko. I don't collect them and was quite interested to find out what the appeal is in those little vinyl figures. The documentary starts with a history of Funko, but later on mostly becomes a story about how collecting Funko figures changed people's lives and how it has helped them. But no in-depth story about how the business developed unfortunately. Was expecting a bit more.

And I've finally started season 5 of Bojack Horseman. God that show is great, although season 4 was a bit less than the first three. Still good though.

The Umbrella Academy just arrived on Netflix today. It's a good trailer, may want to watch it.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1

I don't know why, but I decided to give Umbrella Academy a try last night. Watched 5 episodes.

It's the dumbest shit I've ever seen.

Finished watching The Umbrella Academy last night and I really enjoyed it. I thought they did a good job of adapting the comics and giving their own spin on the characters and story. I really enjoyed their take on Klaus, his arc was really well written and acted and was easily the stand out of the family. The changes to the overall story and how events unfolded were good as well. It had it's cheesy moments but I don't think they felt as out of place as others have suggested and fit the overall style of what they were going for.

Whereas I struggled with the Marvel shows (the closest I came to finishing a series of them was the first series of Jessica Jones and even then that dragged on far beyond what it needed to), this was easily watchable and didn't have the teething pains that those shows had, I don't think anyway. In light of the final Marvel shows being cancelled now, it's good to see that there's some quality adaptations coming from Netflix and hopefully we'll be seeing a second season of this next year, though I do wonder if they'll wait for Way and Ba to do the fourth set of books for the comic before jumping on that. Unless they're gonna go the GoT root and do their own thing once they've covered the source material.

Either way, excited to see more and to see some of the other adaptations Netflix has cooking.

• Like 1

I've started watching Terrace House this weekend. Kind of like Japanese big brother I guess with 6 people living in a house together but mostly just more real. I don't tend to like reality shows but maybe it's the combination of it being Japanese so I always like watching their culture and the fact that it's nothing like western reality shows so as I mentioned, it's a lot more real and the go to work during the day etc that I'm really enjoying it.

Finshed watching Umbrella Academy yesterday, and I enjoyed some of it but other parts of it were not that good. From the very beginning, it is clear that time travels play a major role in the show, and that just raises the complications and complexity of the show but it also creates tons of plot holes and deus ex machinas. People who are apprehensive of this show because of the super human theme can relax - this is a show about a dysfunctional family that happen to have powers but that is not really that important.

Spoiler

First of all, the show doesn't end in any way. Not at all. That is frustrating as I want shows to at least have a semi-ending that is open - here it is just open. And ending with time travel is just cheap. 

Then there was the predictability of everything. In episode 2 I figured that Vanya had powers that were surpressed by the pills. True. I guessed that Leonard was trying to use her. True, but didn't figure out why before they showed the scenes about his upbringing. I predicted that Vanya would be the source of the apocalypse. True. I didn't predict that Allison would become totally useless now that she can't speak and I didn't see Klaus' powers turn that way.

The pacing of the show was also a bit off, it could have cut it down a couple of episodes, I think.

Also didn't like Luther as a character. He is a terrible leader which really shows in the end where he just disregards Allison's ideas totally and won't listen to reason. Him locking up Vanya is just about the single action that causes the apocalypse.

I am intrigued, though, and enjoyed it overall. Just not as excited as others seem to be.