NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

11 minutes ago, Shorty said:

The live action Fullmetal Alchemist surprised me by being suddenly available, I had no idea it was nearly out or headed to Netflix.

That said, found the whole thing kinda dull and silly in the first five minutes and couldn't stick with it.

I was going to give it a go but the trailer for it was just awful. I still may watch it yet...depends how bored I get over the weekend.

I watched it the other day and it wasnt good. The acting is pretty poor and they try to cram too many story points into a 2 plus hour movie but the thing that stood out to me straight away was the weird audio mixing. At first I thought the fact that you could barely hear the sound effects from the beginning fight scene over the music was a weird stylistic choice but then I started hearing voices dropping in and out from a conversation later on as well.

I think they spent all their CGI budget on Al's suit as well. Pretty much everything else does not look good.

Yeah. The FMA wasn’t great. No pacing, and too much crammed into the time they had, and it still only tells part of the story. 

The acting was hammy but I think that’s from trying to imitate anime acting which just doesn’t translate well. I mostly had it on as background noise but even then didn’t bother watching the very end. 

Putting the pedal to the metal, lets see what this baby can do!
  • Like 1

Final comment on Altered Carbon: no masterpiece, but perfectly enjoyable. I actually loved how everything came together in the last episode, even things that seemed like filler side stories at first.

I can recommend Annihilation.

Realism aside (not so much the fantastical stuff, but simply how they go about such an operation), a very enjoyable sci-fi with a suitably creepy atmosphere and trippy ending. That mutant boar thing, brr..

That said, this is something I would have like to see in the cinema. Where do I sent my complaints?

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

I also recommend Annihilation, I think they released it in theatres in some countries @Sméagol, Engadget wrote an article about how it's a shame more people won't see it in the cinema. Personally I can't get to the cinema anyway because of my condition but I'm lucky enough to have a large 4K HDR screen in my room so with headphones it feels as immersive as being at the cinema. I don't think Annihilation was in 4K but the HDR was very good, probably the best I've experienced so far so anyone with a HDR capable set should definitely check it out just for the spectacle.

I liked Ex Machina but I think I preferred Annihilation, it has a better third act than any of Garlands other films. Speaking of the ending I really liked the style of the effects work, very Under The Skin meets mid-90's psychedelic CGI/Magic Eye stuff. The design of the lighthouse reminded me a lot of Dark Souls too, the Bed Of Chaos boss fight specifically. It definitely suffered from the usual problems of a mainstream sci-fi film but overall the little issues are easily forgotten when it's as well put together as it is and has such a compelling ending. 

52 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I liked Ex Machina but I think I preferred Annihilation, it has a better third act than any of Garlands other films. Speaking of the ending I really liked the style of the effects work, very Under The Skin meets mid-90's psychedelic CGI/Magic Eye stuff. The design of the lighthouse reminded me a lot of Dark Souls too, the Bed Of Chaos boss fight specifically. It definitely suffered from the usual problems of a mainstream sci-fi film but overall the little issues are easily forgotten when it's as well put together as it is and has such a compelling ending. 

Good call on Under the skin. Though I recently fought the bed of chaos, and it didn't look anything like that to me. Unless you mean that hole under the tower.. Then it still doesn't look like that. ;). The trippy visuals reminded me a bit of 2001: a space oddyssey, and the general vibe and existentialism reminded me a little bit of a German film called Die Wand (though without the horror).

20 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Good call on Under the skin. Though I recently fought the bed of chaos, and it didn't look anything like that to me. Unless you mean that hole under the tower.. Then it still doesn't look like that. ;). The trippy visuals reminded me a bit of 2001: a space oddyssey, and the general vibe and existentialism reminded me a little bit of a German film called Die Wand (though without the horror).

I think I got my souls games and bosses mixed up but the whole design of the lighthouse seemed very Souls to me, I think it was probably Quelaag's lair that I was thinking of, crossed with the Below The Nexus section of Demon's Souls. 

Is there any way to stop Netflix immediately cutting to an advert once the credits roll on a film or TV show? It really pisses me off when I want to just sit and contemplate what I've just seen and i'm instead confronted by an obnoxious promo for whatever unrelated show Netflix are promoting. I'm okay with them placing adverts on the main menu as a way to advertise their content but I don't want to pay £10 a month to be bombarded with adverts when I want to just sit and watch the credits and think about what i've just watched. It's going to make me think twice about watching something I really care about on there if I'm just going to be ripped out of the experience as soon as the credits roll.

8 hours ago, killthenet said:

Is there any way to stop Netflix immediately cutting to an advert once the credits roll on a film or TV show? It really pisses me off when I want to just sit and contemplate what I've just seen and i'm instead confronted by an obnoxious promo for whatever unrelated show Netflix are promoting. I'm okay with them placing adverts on the main menu as a way to advertise their content but I don't want to pay £10 a month to be bombarded with adverts when I want to just sit and watch the credits and think about what i've just watched. It's going to make me think twice about watching something I really care about on there if I'm just going to be ripped out of the experience as soon as the credits roll.

I tried to do that as well, but didn't find any way to stop it. I've recently started using Netflix, and the streaming is good but I think they should really improve on options and organisation.

There's another thing which I don't know if any of you guys know how to do. I'm sharing a Netflix account with my brothers, and we all live in different countries. The account was opened in Holland, and when I open it from here I have the Dutch catalog, not the English one (which is a shame, as the Dutch catalog seems to have way less movies and series). Do you know if there's any way I can access the catalog of this region with that account? I was hoping I could fix a certain profile to a region, but I can't find anywhere how to do something like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Cape said:

I tried to do that as well, but didn't find any way to stop it. I've recently started using Netflix, and the streaming is good but I think they should really improve on options and organisation.

There's another thing which I don't know if any of you guys know how to do. I'm sharing a Netflix account with my brothers, and we all live in different countries. The account was opened in Holland, and when I open it from here I have the Dutch catalog, not the English one (which is a shame, as the Dutch catalog seems to have way less movies and series). Do you know if there's any way I can access the catalog of this region with that account? I was hoping I could fix a certain profile to a region, but I can't find anywhere how to do something like that.

I don't think you can. I had a quick look myself. Maybe updating your payment info will help, changing your billing sddress to something British (is it Dutch at the moment?). But just have a chat with support, and say your British (I assume you are). I suspect they'll change it. But they will change it for everyone who you're sharing it with. I suspect that's not a problem. Dutch Netflix may have some things UK Netflix wont have, but I assume these things are few and far between. You will have to miss out on Bassie & Adriaan, if Dutch people succesfully campaign for it.

• Thanks 1

Highly recommend Suburra: Blood on Rome. Italian crime drama, warring factions, corrupt politicians, the Vatican, the mafia. Very gripping stuff. Just make sure to put the language to Italian with subtitles as the dubbing is very off putting. 

• Like 1

Ooh I might try that without subtitles to see how I get on. Cheers. 

Started watching A Series of Unfortunate Events season 2 yesterday. Seems to go even more weird and black but I like it. NPH does a great job, and the story got a bit more interesting all of a sudden. It's a good show and I'm glad that they confirmed a season 3 right away - and that's it apparently. Snicket at least said that we were about one third into the story right at the beginning of season 2. 

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, Dog-amoto said:

Highly recommend Suburra: Blood on Rome. Italian crime drama, warring factions, corrupt politicians, the Vatican, the mafia. Very gripping stuff. Just make sure to put the language to Italian with subtitles as the dubbing is very off putting. 

Might add this to the list. Cheers for the recommendation!

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, Ashley said:

Ooh I might try that without subtitles to see how I get on. Cheers. 

One day I'll be able to do this. Soon.

Aww, they canceled Everything sucks.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/everything-sucks-canceled-at-netflix-1100620

It was far from perfect. I wasn't too convinced on most performances apart from the two leads, and the writing could be better. And they could've have been more subtle about their 90s references and use of music. But it had a certain charm, and it was sometimes genuinely funny. I would have watched a season 2.

Edit:

Oh I hadn't seen this one yet, though there's not much to see yet:

Edited by Sméagol

I wasn't a fan of Lost in space. There was stuff I enjoyed, but there was also stuff I didn't enjoy. And the way it ended it looks like season 2 will give me more of the stuff I didn't enjoy. I like most of the characters, especially Penny. I mean, the family is a bit typical, but I like them for the most part. I also liked some of the side characters from the other Jupiters, and just the fact they were there at all for some interaction. I absolutely can't stand Dr. Smith however, with her grumpy face and whiny voice. The robot(s) is (/are) stupid. Some of the problems they encounter are inane. Like fuel eating eels (which appear out of nowhere). And then that ending. I mean, I guess it's more in line what actual fans would expect of it, but it's not for me.

Anyone watched Happy? Meloni was on point like a post SVU-Stabler mixed with Neeson in Taken, not even Patton Oswald managed to put me off.

Very weird ending though. I don't think they resolved everything.

Look like Matt Groening got a new cartoon show for Netflix. He post 3 images that barely show 3 characters, a Princess, an Elf and a Demon. 

Yeah it was announced a while ago and I'm very meh.

From what little we've seen of the princess she looks like a younger version of Mom. Plus the whole fantasy vibe isn't my kind of thing.