NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

Has this been added to UK Netflix as well? I loved this film when I saw it at a festival 2 years ago.

If you want to know what an Italian superhero film looks like, look no further. It's also an excellent Christmas film for the whole family. Ok that last part isn't true.

Has anyone seen Dark? Binge watched it over the past couple of days. I can understand why people are comparing it to Stranger Things, but it’s nothing like it really. In a good way. 

Just be sure to turn off the awful English dubbing though and watch it with subtitles. 

Edited by Dog-amoto

23 hours ago, Dog-amoto said:

Has anyone seen Dark? Binge watched it over the past couple of days. I can understand why people are comparing it to Stranger Things, but it’s nothing like it really. In a good way. 

Just be sure to turn off the awful English dubbing though and watch it with subtitles. 

It's been on my to watch list since they released the trailer, but with 3 shows (or 4?) to watch and Xenoblades Chronicles 2 to play, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

On 17/12/2017 at 7:11 PM, Dog-amoto said:

I’ve only got the final episode to go. Really enjoyed t so far. Even with the dubbing. Far easier to watch than with subtitles. 

Dark is on my to watch list for the holidays. I would have started it a few weeks back but the missus and I ended up watching The Sinner and it was pretty good. Jessica Biel was great in it, Bill Pullman less so but I can't tell if that was more on how his character was written as there was little to flesh him out and I think it needed his character to slowly open up as hers did because of the relationship being presented between the two on screen. It did border on being a little farfetched in places (particularly the quick turn around in the court hearings/sentencing) and it did what a lot of Netflix shows seem to be doing recently in having a lot of gratuitous elements to it (such as between the sisters at one or two points) which did dampen the show towards the end but the last episode seemed to bring it back a little. But yeah, it was pretty good.

Started watching Godless the other night. Have only watched the first episode, mainly as they're an hour and a bit long, but I really enjoyed that first one and I'm looking forward to watching more of it over the next week or so.

Also gave The Good Place a go and I'm a little unsure after the first episode. I'm obviously going to watch more but I don't know if it was the acting or the script but it seemed a little wooden at times. Perhaps it was just the first episode so hopefully that'll settle a bit as I watch it more. It is a change of pace from all the stuff I have been watching recently so I'm thinking it's probably more to do with that than anything against the show. I am getting a slight Being Erica vibe from it, not in terms of story but more in how it presents itself a bit, and have a feeling that they may even try something that was done in that show here (changing the Creator because it's perceived he isn't doing quite as good a job as he could be just as they changed the "doctor" in Being Erica for a similar reason and the character constantly trying to go back to him). I'll see how I get on with it though.

Rewatching the second season of Master of None too. Man, what a fantastic show and a great second season. As I've said before, I've never been a huge fan of Aziz Ansari in other things but in this, the writing and his acting are superb and the episodes in this season are some of the best TV I've watched this year.

I don't have Netflix but my mate let me jack into his account so I could watch Bright. Absolutely loved it. It was like watching a mix of Bad Boys and Lord of the Rings. :D 

I think that may be the first positive thing I've heard about Bright.

59 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think that may be the first positive thing I've heard about Bright.

Really? All my mates also loved it.

To be fair, I'm very easy to please. I try not to over think or analyse movies. As long as there's plenty of action and a half decent story then I'm happy. :D 

I just watched Bright myself (credits are still rolling even). I enjoyed it for what it’s worth. Rather glad they didn’t overplay the obvious racism aspect of it. Good action, decent acting, cool effects and a somewhat interesting world that makes me think of Shadowrun a bit. It’s nothing special but it certainly doesn’t deserve to be decried as being awful. 

In addition to being a bit of Bad Boys and LotR there is a bit of Training Day in there too. Which now I want to watch that because it’s a fantastic fucking flick. 

Just finished the 2nd season of the Crown. Pretty good. Better than the first season. Great music. Very Queen-y.

Been keeping Prime around for watching Parks and Rec, but once that's done i'll be getting a Netflix sub back up and running.  Seems i've been missing a few shows, yet to watch Bright.

Just finished watching the new Godzilla anime/cgi movie on Netflix. Not bad. Kind of feels like a mixture of Godzilla and Mass Effect. I think I still prefer my monster movies set in present day though. Still, I look forward to seeing the second part whenever it comes out.

Godzilla can be summed up thusly. 

I want my hour and a half back to go rewatch Knights of Sidonia. 

Holy motherfucker. Netflix dropped a bombshell. The new Cloverfield.. It's there. You can watch it NOW.

Spoiler

On a now totally uninteresting sidenote, I've been enjoying Altered Carbon so far. Definitely not Game of Thrones level, but it looks good, and I love the setting.

Yeah I binged through Altered Carbon over the weekend. It was quite enjoyable. There was a certain portion I felt was a slog, but that was at the tail end of watching a large block of the show. Likely wouldn’t have felt as slow otherwise. 

The show definitely has a Blade Runner vibe to it. 

As for Cloverfield. Neat way to announce/release but can’t say I care for the east coast timeframe of release. I’ll watch it at some point. Never finished the original but quite liked the second film. 

Finished The End of the F***ing World yesterday. It was a nice little show, not too deep but entertaining and charming. It's not long either, could easily have been a movie. I recommend it.

59 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Ehm yeah.. So about Cloverfield: it isn't good.

It really isn't. It feels forced in some places and downright ludicrous in others (Chris O'Dowd's arm, for example).

It's a shame, as it started off pretty good, with Jensen's reveal being particularly good. But there were just too many elements that were just awful, especially towards the end.

Spoiler

The explanation for most things was just "meh, alternate dimensions colliding or whatever".

ChrisO'Dowds death was creepy, with the metal tentacles, but there was no reason for them. Originally, I assumed it was just the liquid metal being drawn to the magnetism, but they pulled him back to the wall like they were alive for some reason.

The ship breaking and there being some random angle that would mean disaster for some reason. Just seemed like an excuse to have a countdown to disaster.

That guy sacrificing himself, because that door had to be shut for some reason. Why they'd make the jettison valve work like that is beyond me. Surely you'd put it on the safe side of the critical door.

"Damn your sudden but inevitable betrayal!". Jensen was shit.

Of course the Russian was a git.

Of course the Chinese person only spoke Chinese. That seems like an efficient way to run the most important space mission imaginable. Common language is for losers, right?

Barely a Cloverfield film.

The gyro thing, that was super important for some science reason, winds up in a guy for some reason, but only after he is revealed to be full of worms for some reason. Good job Chris O'Dowds disembodied arm told everyone though. Fucking ludicrous.

Edited by Goafer
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Ehm yeah.. So about Cloverfield: it isn't good.

Oh......well damn. :(

Also watched it last night and thought it was dreadful. I didn't expect it to be any good in the first place, thought it would be a fun schlocky sci-fi but it was just so unspeakably dumb that it wasn't even enjoyable. The kind of film that gives science fiction a bad name, covering subject matter that has been done to death and injecting drama where it isn't needed. It's a real shame as they have put together a pretty stellar cast (Daniel Bruhl, David Oyelowo, Elizabeth Debicki, Chris O'Dowd) but it is so poorly written and executed that even their presence can't save it. 

I think the shadow drop during the Super Bowl was a decent marketing move, it got people talking about the film, but it would probably have been better to just bury it by putting it on Netflix at the same time as a marquee name (like the week new House Of Cards launches) and hoping people didn't notice it.

So I just finished watching Altered Carbon. It's actually pretty good for a hybrid of Cyberpunk and Noir Detective genre with a Ghost In the Shell vibes and I'm pretty forward to the Season 2 if they are gonna adapted the other novels.

The live action Fullmetal Alchemist surprised me by being suddenly available, I had no idea it was nearly out or headed to Netflix.

That said, found the whole thing kinda dull and silly in the first five minutes and couldn't stick with it.