NEurope
Wesley

Netflix

Has anyone tried watching their exclusive "comedy" things?

I gave Norm McDonald, Dana Carvey (Party on) and Sarah Silverman a try and couldn't watch past the 10-15 mark, they were that shit.

Watched Death Note though, most enjoyable. I can totally see Willem Defor voicing Ryuk in da coming film.

I've never really been into anime but that show is amazing. I think it benefits from being 1 complete season unlike many others which just seem to go on forever.

I often found myself very conflicted as to who's side I was actually on during the show but I guess that's part of the fun.

Against@Shorty 's recommendations, I went and watched Luke Cage.

It was as slow as described, but I quite liked it. The writing and dialogue was very clunky and cringy - specifically everything said by Misty Knight, but overall it was reasonably enjoyable. Clearly a rung or two below DD and JJ though I.

Starting Iron Fist now. The first episode is quite interesting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just now, bob said:

Oh good it does work then :indeed:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bob said:

Against@Shorty 's recommendations, I went and watched Luke Cage.

It was as slow as described, but I quite liked it. The writing and dialogue was very clunky and cringy - specifically everything said by Misty Knight, but overall it was reasonably enjoyable. Clearly a rung or two below DD and JJ though I.

Starting Iron Fist now. The first episode is quite interesting.

Really?

Jessica Jones was such a borefest for me, so little character development. The best character (Killgrave was well underused and so there were so many filler episodes. I thought JJ just whined the whole time and it was never really all that apparent what her abilities were. I really didn't think they paced the story well at all.

JJ was the only one I watched because I really like Kristin Ritter, but found Killgrave to be such an annoying character.  As a premise he's interesting, but got sick of Tennant's hammy acting.

You'll be disadvantaged if you watch LC because it's so boring you'll be too full of regrets of wasting your life watching that to enjoy Defenders.

LC appeared in JJ so you've met him. IF punches stuff. There, you're caught up.

So I'm 12/13ths of the way through Iron Fist, and he's not done a whole lot of punching stuff. He's mainly been a whiney, curly-haired little bitch.
  • Like 1

Yep, to be honest I couldn't make it all the way through IF or LC. JJ might be a bit better, but none of them come close to DD season one in my opinion, which was real quality TV.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed GLOW, its probably my favorite Netlfix original show so far. I wasn't even aware it was based on a real federation until after I watched through the whole series. There's a documentary about the real show on Netflix as well

Edited by Helmsly

Season 2 of Hannibal is now up - great stuff.

Image result for hannibal food gif

Edited by Cookyman

Anyone watched Castlevania? Disappointed how short it was, pretty cool stuff :) reminds me of Hellsing and Berserk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shorty said:

Anyone watched Castlevania? Disappointed how short it was, pretty cool stuff :) reminds me of Hellsing and Berserk.

I blitzed through it yesterday. It was enjoyable but basically just a tease. 

On the plus side Netflix has already picked up Season 2 for a further 8 episodes. 

The Death Note movie is now on Netflix. Gonna give it a watch now, see how much they've screwed it up (or hopefully, actually made a good adaptation!)

Expanse is back on Friday next week :)

But before that there's Narcos coming tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tales said:

Expanse is back on Friday next week :)

I got the e-mail. Fucking finally. But if they keep this up next year, I'm buying the blu-rays.

• Like 1

I've just watched Death Note...it wasn't for me. I loved the anime and the manga so much. I tried not to compare it and watched it as a separate film but even then, it's plot-hole city. Like...

Spoiler

At the start, when Light finds the Death Note and reads the rules, it says that all pages hold the power to kill. There's a warning that says "Don't trust Ryuk. He's not your pet and he's not your friend". Fast-forward to later in the film when Light threatens to write Ryuk's name and he says "The last time somebody tried, they only managed two letters"...so do we forget that there was a warning at the start and that Ryuk's name is written down?

Another plot-hole, Mia tells Light she's written his name in the Death Note and that she will burn the page once he gives up ownership to her...it's his book therefore surely she doesn't have the power to do this and so surely, he could just tear out the page with his name on it and burn it since Watari died anyway.

As for the FBI agents, surely the best thing could have been for Watari to first write every single name of law enforcement officers and THEN go to find L's identity? This one wasn't a plot-hole but more than a thought.

It's not terrible but Light is a bit of a pussy and a comic relief. Too many unnecessary changes.

I couldn't really sit through Death Note. The adaptation wasn't badly made or anything, but right from the start they were messing with the best things about the original. Didn't like L at all, either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shorty said:

I couldn't really sit through Death Note. The adaptation wasn't badly made or anything, but right from the start they were messing with the best things about the original. Didn't like L at all, either.

I thought L in this was an improvement. Moreso in the anime than the film (naturally due to more stuff happening) he kept guessing what was happening. Sure, he fired off some logical explanation behind his reasoning, but it left with more than just one definitive solution, yet he always went for the right one. I'm glad they didn't bring in the second L as well.

It wasn't his character's role that bothered me just the acting/writing/behaviour.

Gotham season 3 is finally on Netflix after channel 5 won't airing it this year for unknown reasons. 

Edited by DriftKaiser

Star Wars and Marvel films are being pulled from Netflix by Disney ahead of their own streaming platform's launch in 2019. This follows the announcement that Disney and Pixar films were being pulled from Netflix last month.

Bob Iger, who revealed this information, also said a launch for the Netflix competitor would be aiming for "late 2019", and Disney plan to produce four or five original films, as well as an equal amount of new original series and TV movies. 

A price for subscription has yet to be announced.

Out of interest, would a Disney streaming platform potentially pull any of you away from Netflix, or would you just end up subscribing to both platforms anyhow?

Haven't Disney had their own streaming thing for awhile naow? Or was that marketed too much at the kids to be valid for them?

9 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Haven't Disney had their own streaming thing for awhile naow? Or was that marketed too much at the kids to be valid for them?

You mean DisneyLife? You're right, that's been around a while now, but in my opinion it never got the marketing push (and exclusive rights to their Star Wars and Marvel films) needed to really push it into the mainstream, which seems to be the plan with the new streaming platform (considering how they seem to be going straight for Netflix as direct competition from the off by pulling their films from there).

It'll be interesting to see whether both the Star Wars TV series (Rebels, but perhaps The Clone Wars in particular given Warner Bros. and Cartoon Network's history with the series, and, I'd assume, some form of distribution/licensing rights) make it into the platform too, and it's worth noting that DisneyLife gave access to books and music too. If they continued that trend with just the canon Star Wars content alone - I mean, it'd practically be an archive at that point - from the novels to comics and the music, as well as the movie and TV contributions, Disney could really be into something here, I feel. Do that with Marvel too, such as with the comics, and throw in the PIXAR short films for good measure, and I feel you'd definitely have a platform which could justify a £15/£20 per month package.

5 hours ago, markderoos said:

I would subscribe to both if it meant Disney would put their whole library online continuously.

I'm more of a physical media kind of person myself (not quite sure why to be honest), so they'd have to throw in some decent bonuses (such as those that I hinted at above) to warrant me buying in, considering I already own all of the Star Wars and MCU films on DVD or Blu-Ray as it is :/

If I didn't though, I'd certainly be in. I think any little extras could be what sells me on it :p