NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Weight Loss & Fitness 2012

I started just over 2 weeks ago , lost 6 pounds so far,

i injured my knee

( might be a cartalidge or cruciate ligerment got to have mri scan sigh )

and have not been able to jog or play basketball which i normally do daily for over 5 weeks.

just been doing walking, weights, sit ups and eating less than 700 calories a day.

what other exercise would be recomended condsidering i cant run at the moment or twist my knee much, i tried to do some light cycling but that was very uncomfy.

700 Calories is a dangerously low amount of food to be taking in. The healthy guide for the average man is 2500 per day, that's a calorie deficit of 1800 calories a day, which over a week adds up to 12600. You need to be taking in more than that.

As for the knee, be careful, having had my ACL reconstructed a few years back, I don't recommend it. The rehab was agony and it took me well over a year to get it back to full strength. You've haven't done anything too serious by the sounds of it (no way you'd be walking if you did), but i wouldn't chance it.

I've come up with a bit of a plan for myself. I'm going to carry on what I'm doing right now but I'm going to be getting up and doing an hour of Wii and then I'll do my two-mile walk. When I get down to 16st-ish, I'm going to start doing Shaun T's Insanity. I used to do it before but it really hurt my legs because of how heavy I was (when I started it, I was 18st) so I think I'll be fine once I'm a little lighter.

@Mike1988uk - How long rest do you take after a superset? I've always gone for 90-120s but that was just what one gym instructor said was best. And with your press ups, try going to failure for some extra deep burn. You'll notice a huge difference. :)

Never go to failure with weights but when you're using body weight it's absolutely fine.

As I have only done it the once, I didn't really pay much attention to how long I was resting before doing my next superset but I did try to keep it to a minimum, maybe two/three mins.

Thanks for the tip regarding press ups, but tbh honest at the moment I struggled with doing the amount he said on my second and third set straight after doing the squats but it's something I am sure I will get better with in time. :)

700 calories...... what....just no.

--

Just tucked into half a breast of chicken for lunch lol...yummeh protein. Having a treat of tacos tonight. Bought the taco shells and making everything else from scratch.. :3

I'm really happy doing slimming world at the moment, its really fitting in well with my life. The only diet breaker I'm having is a chippy/pizza/takeout on weigh in night... by the time I get out of my sw class its half 9 so i dont get much of a chance to eat any other rubbish! I'm in a good place and enjoying what I eat. And I'm not eating for the sake of it like I did when I first tried slimming world. :) My body seems to respond well to eating healthy as opposed to counting.... I know I can have seconds of my free meals, but a lot of the time I won't even take them, which is great. I'm not snacking at all, that was a big downfall for me on any portion restricted diet like weightwatchers and calorie counting. I was mentally feeling like I wasn't having enough... so I needed to snack... bad viscous circle!

I'm doing a 2012 challenge (with a friend from a dieting forum) who has about the same to lose as I do. We're planning on about 2lb a week over the year (give or take, really averaging a loss every week will be more than enough) and its riling up the competitive side of me ha ha ;D

Super sets are awesome and 90-120 secs is dead on for the rest period.

A 700 calorie intake a day is just, well stupid. It's going to do more harm than good.

Started doing deadlifts over the past couple weeks. So much fun. Surprised at how strong my back was tbh, but it's annoying because even though I can already lift heavier than I am doing now my grip just isn't strong enough to last all those sets. Currently dead lifting 90kg but yeah, my grip is stopping me going higher. Anyone got any tips?

I was thinking of just carrying on and seeing if my grip starts to catch up. Maybe pushing my starting weight up.

Also been doing a high intensity cross trainer/row machine thing for 20 minutes before weights sessions (which leaves me pretty much dead) which has been ridiculously good for lowering that last bits of body fat. I still cycle everywhere but I was getting so used to it that had lost a lot of its affect.

Keep going Dazz. That's a good target to have. Targets always help you out.

Something I'll always remember from Higher PE is that goals need to be SMART.

Specific

Measurable

Achievable

Realistic

Timed

A fantastic set of criteria which can be used in lots of different situations.

I actually wrote about it during my exam last week. Also it's Timetabled and not Timed, but that's not really important.

This sounds like I'm being awkward, but I don't mean to be (it's a genuine question): How do you know if your goals are Achievable or Realistic?

I'm trying to build my strength to how it was four years ago, but at this stage I'm not 100% sure that's possible.

In other news, I can do unassisted wide pull-ups now, it's just the very widest grip I have trouble with. It must isolate your lats so much that you can't rely on your biceps. My biceps themselves seem OK, but my lats seem woefully underdeveloped after years of not using them for anything.

Started doing deadlifts over the past couple weeks. So much fun. Surprised at how strong my back was tbh, but it's annoying because even though I can already lift heavier than I am doing now my grip just isn't strong enough to last all those sets. Currently dead lifting 90kg but yeah, my grip is stopping me going higher. Anyone got any tips?

Do you wear weight lifting gloves? They might help.

Also try using weight lifting straps like these:

21HNIHL4hbL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They help a lot with grip and don't cost much.

Also a friend suggested to me once lifting the bar with opposite grip, like one hand on top of the bar and the other under. However when I tried that it felt 2 awkward when lifting.

Yeah, I've switched the grip. Use both overhand and then alternating one each.

I used to use gloves. I don't think that's the problem though, it just gets to the point where I physically can't clench my hands enough to hold the weight. It happens after 5/6 reps.

I think I need to up my forearm strength. Had the same issue when I was bouldering.

I'll have a look at that strap thing. Looks interesting.

I'll have a look at that strap thing. Looks interesting.

I haven't actually tried them but I was bought some for xmas. On the box it says it assists with lifting heavier weights so it might help?

I did see a guy deadlifting with them straps on so I assumed they must be useful in some way.

I should probably try some forearm exercises.

They won't be hard to do while watching TV. :heh:

We've got one of those home rower things, been getting into that this week. Only 20-30 minutes a day. But it's a decent work out considering how puny my arms are.

I actually wrote about it during my exam last week. Also it's Timetabled and not Timed, but that's not really important.

Same thing really. Some say 'timely'. All means the same, put a realistic timescale on it.

This sounds like I'm being awkward, but I don't mean to be (it's a genuine question): How do you know if your goals are Achievable or Realistic?

I'm trying to build my strength to how it was four years ago, but at this stage I'm not 100% sure that's possible.

In other news, I can do unassisted wide pull-ups now, it's just the very widest grip I have trouble with. It must isolate your lats so much that you can't rely on your biceps. My biceps themselves seem OK, but my lats seem woefully underdeveloped after years of not using them for anything.

'building strength' is not a good goal because it's not measurable. What you could say is "I can currently do 5 pull ups unassisted, in the next X time I want to do 10 pull ups."

You'll know yourself if is realistic.

Manned up and went for a run at 5am this morning before breakfast, and my god, my lungs felt like they were functioning at about half their capacity. About twenty minutes in, I got this unbelievably irritating sensation near my diaphragm and felt the craving for a cigarette (and I don't smoke, other than socially). To boot, my ipod lost power half way through, so that kinda killed my buzz, but I powered through and made it back home. Gonna start doing this on a daily basis, I'm so badly unfit these days.

What does everyone think of gyms. I'm not committed enough to exercise when I am home, so stopping off at a gym seems a pretty good idea (drive past one every day).

I get a discounted gym membership thorugh my employer, but this seems pretty basic - little support really and seems just a case of muddling through yourself after the first introductions. The gym I pass is Banatynes and I visited yesterday, really nice, seems loads of support about (which i'd have to pay extra for through work) but its £58 which is pretty bonkers.

What does everyone think of gyms. I'm not committed enough to exercise when I am home, so stopping off at a gym seems a pretty good idea (drive past one every day).

I get a discounted gym membership thorugh my employer, but this seems pretty basic - little support really and seems just a case of muddling through yourself after the first introductions. The gym I pass is Banatynes and I visited yesterday, really nice, seems loads of support about (which i'd have to pay extra for through work) but its £58 which is pretty bonkers.

For a year? Seems a steal for a year, but expensive for a month.

Anyway, gyms are absolutely amazing, David. It's a cliché to say "I used muscles I didn't know I had", but that is the case when I joined one. I used to go, then had a few years off. During which time, I was not lazy and did plenty of bicep, tricep and shoulder exercises. However, it is just not possible to exercise all the main muscles at home (or at least very, very impractical). When I rejoined the gym in November I awoke all those chest and back muscles I hadn't been using.

If you put full effort in, you'll notice results almost immediately.

@Grazza

I wish £58 per year, i'd have chewed the guys arm off to get that! That is for peak and off peak usage, cheaper for off peak.

My corporate membership is pretty basic and lacks the monitoring sessions included in Banatynes. So every six weeks, I'd have to pony up £15 for those. So £28 PM is now £35. Then there's added value like the steam rooms etc. Plus, from what the chap was saying they really encourage you to meet your goals - I went to another gym a 10 years back and you were pretty much left on your own. Thinking about it that way, its not bad value, but is pretty expensive.

Can I ask how much you pay and where? Any other advice?

Can I ask how much you pay and where? Any other advice?

Yeah, sure. It's something like £300-400 per year, but I genuinely can't remember (and it doesn't include spa). It's the council leisure centre, which is actually very good. Induction was £25, but that got me two mandatory personal training sessions and three optional ones.

I should say I'm lucky as it's 35 minutes walk from me.

As for advice, I'd just try and find a gym with friendly instructors who look fit and seem to know their stuff. They'll set you a balanced programme depending on what you want to do. Personally, I explained I really wanted to build my chest and back, and so they set me a balanced workout at first, with an exercise for chest x2, back x2, shoulders x2 and one leg exercise (incidentally, chest exercises tend to work your triceps, back exercises your biceps - that's why there are no isolated bicep or tricep exercises there). Shortly after, they suggested splitting my programme in two, so I could do more exercises. It's important to have approachable instructors you can have a little chat with, in my opinion.

Also, make sure you will have enough energy at the time of day you go. I say this because I wouldn't fancy a gym session after work, and I'm glad I've got enough time to go beforehand. Set aside two or even three hours to go there, get changed, do your workout (which will probably be 45-60 minutes) and get home.

EDIT - Another thing is, be really honest with your instructor about what you want to achieve. A lot of people say they want to "tone up", but if you want to build bulk, say that. It could mean the difference between being set 3x8 with a heavy weight and 3x20 with a light one.

Edited by Grazza

Manned up and went for a run at 5am this morning before breakfast, and my god, my lungs felt like they were functioning at about half their capacity. About twenty minutes in, I got this unbelievably irritating sensation near my diaphragm and felt the craving for a cigarette (and I don't smoke, other than socially). To boot, my ipod lost power half way through, so that kinda killed my buzz, but I powered through and made it back home. Gonna start doing this on a daily basis, I'm so badly unfit these days.

Not sure if you're bing figuritve but don't do it every day, especially when you're starting off. You'll muscle fibres will need time to adapt and improve, hence bringing improved fitness and less pain.

I need to join the gym and I need to play squash again. I hope to be 15st soon. Oh, I haven't told you my news...I am now part of the 16st club! Yay!

I'm now 16st 13lbs. I'm happy! :D

I need to join the gym and I need to play squash again. I hope to be 15st soon. Oh, I haven't told you my news...I am now part of the 16st club! Yay!

I'm now 16st 13lbs. I'm happy! :D

Well done!

Not sure if you're bing figuritve but don't do it every day, especially when you're starting off. You'll muscle fibres will need time to adapt and improve, hence bringing improved fitness and less pain.

So you're not supposed to workout everyday then? That's annoying... I've not felt good recently unless i've did something everyday.

So you're not supposed to workout everyday then? That's annoying... I've not felt good recently unless i've did something everyday.

It's not wise to do that. Your body needs rest and recovery. I couldn't function exercising/working out 7 days a week...reeeest.

At least, not doing the same type of exercise 7 days straight.

I find that when playing football, I can run and cover a lot of ground, get really into it and stuff. However, when going out for a jog or a run, my body seems to be aware of it, and as such my calves tend to feel it after not too long. I know I can go for longer, but the burning in my calves means no. It's a shame.

no you need at least 1 rest day per week, 2 if you do intensive training. Repetitive muscle wear can lead to weakness & injury...