NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Weight Loss & Fitness 2012

The machine is one of them where you hold onto the handles and it sends a bio electrical pulse to gather the reading. That said, I have no idea how accurate it is. I'd like to think it holds more weight than the arbitrary calculation that is BMI, which for me is 21.2.

According to my printout, it says ideal body fat would be between 12.8% and 23.3% so even if this reading is off by x amount, there is still room for improvement as the ideals would also be off by the same value.

to me 12% seems like nothing XD

Electrical impedance can be funny at the best of times, I wouldn't rely on it at all. There's far too many things that can affect it and electrical impedance going through your feet is far from reliable when the scales and your feet could both be dirty, and also your feet need to be "sticky" like when they've been freshly washed as opposed to bone dry. (no shoes no socks goes without saying) Also how much food you've had makes a great impact on it.

Yeah, 12% is very, very good. I remember hearing years ago that to have a really visible six-pack you need a body fat percentage of about 8%. I don't know what mine is, and don't really mind. As long as I'm strong, I'm happy with my four-pack!

i was at my slimming world class there on Wednesday night and I put on 4.5lbs over 4 weeks of christmas, which i'm pretty happy about.. I'm back to the same weight I was when I started slimming world early December. I wanted to maintain over the period of december/christmas so damn chuffed :)

Been feeling rather dodgy lately and not really able to eat significant amounts of food, really horrific acid reflux/heartburn :/ Been going on for a while but as usual no one wants to listen.. which is making me feel pooo. Other shit going on at work, feeling horrible, i'm borderline manic depression at the moment and wishing it would sort itself out..

I've never set foot in a gym. My friend is crazy about it though - she goes several times a week for 3 or 4 hours at a time and is super fit.

Me? I started running at the beginning of December. Can just about do 3 miles before my legs want to tear themselves off my body and go elsewhere. I actually lost weight over Christmas. Apart from New Years Day, I didn't really eat or drink much. I've lost a stone since October. According to my BMI, I'm borderline obese, which I certainly don't look! But according to that, I should weigh about 12 stone, and I currently weigh 14 and a half.

^^ I think i'm the same in that i don't look very fat, but i think i'm deffo overweight! I'm 5ft 3 and 11 stone. Since i don't look like a fatty it's been very easy to just get lazy.

I've been working out most days for ages now though, and not being such a greedy nightmare.

It was an anatomy lesson discussing blocked arteries in depth that really scared me into it! It made me feel sick! :o

Finally started back at the gym yesterday.

Was very good and enjoyed it.

Decided to make a few changes to what I wear/bring to gym to make myself fit in more.

I know that sounds odd but it's hard to exercise in the gym if you're dressed in a Mario costume and you know people are looking at you.

Re. Bodyfat percentage.

In September 2010 I measured mine using the equipment at the gym which sends stuff through your body and it came out as 18%.

I bought a set of scales which had a bodyfat calculator built in in Summer 2011 and it said 33% and hasn't really changed since.

I just used the one that raining_again posted and it said 14%. So who knows which one is correct. I would say it's probably around 14-20% as I'm in no way fat, eat well and do a lot of exercise. It's definitely no where near as high as 33%.

I've just started doing the P90x workout. A 90 day lifestyle which aims to get you ripped by the end of it. It comes with a complete nutrition guide which tells you how what you should be eating (although I'm not doing the meal planner, just trying to keep to the ratio of protein/carbs/fat). The first day was yesterday, a brutal back and chest workout. 12 exercises back-to-back with no rest in between, then you do them all again. Afterwards you do the 'Ab-Ripper' which is mental. 12 core exercises (25 reps of each one) moving straight onto the next one. I can seriously feel the burn today in my back and core. Today is an hour long 'Plyometrics' session. I had a quick look at the video earlier and I can tell by the end of it I'm going to be even more sweaty than I was yesterday.

I saw that P90x advertised in America back in 2009, the advert at the time made it look soul destroying. Bravo for taking the challenge.

I played football last night for the first time in 5 weeks.

Today I'm walking around like... Well use your imagination.

Apparently you can lose your fitness during the festive period.

Back on it again now though, healthy eating back in full force and running, weights and football regime back on track!

I saw that P90x advertised in America back in 2009, the advert at the time made it look soul destroying. Bravo for taking the challenge.

I'm quite pumped up for it at the moment. I'll try and keep a record of how I get on with it in this thread.

I don't see the workouts too much of an issue other than finding the time and potentially being hungover. The hard part for me will be keeping to the nutrition schedule. I love my carbs.

It was an anatomy lesson discussing blocked arteries in depth that really scared me into it! It made me feel sick! :o
Did you get shown a video?

*remembers back to biology classes*

*... shudders*

Somehow, no idea whatsoever how, I have put on half a stone (7lbs) in the last week...

Did you get shown a video?

*remembers back to biology classes*

*... shudders*

Nope but even the mental image she gave us was enough!

She was talking about how fat from the blood is deposited in the arteries, and hardens into plaque, same as what happens on your teeth... :shakehead

@Ramar

Day 2, an hour long plyometrics session was absolutely brutal. Jumping, hopping, lunging all over the place for an hour pretty much non stop. Couldn't do everything because of a lack of space in my room - cant say I was complaining!

Day 3 is arms and back, followed by the abs ripper.

I've had 2 tins of tuna today and a protein shake just now to try and get enough protein for recovery in me. Eaten one hell of a lot of other stuff too.

3lb off this week, get :3

Me too! I'm joining the 3lb loss club!

My aim is to get down to 15st by the time it's my birthday, which is in June. Right now, I'm 17st 3lbs so I'm hoping to do it!

Keep going Dazz. That's a good target to have. Targets always help you out.

Something I'll always remember from Higher PE is that goals need to be SMART.

Specific

Measurable

Achievable

Realistic

Timed

A fantastic set of criteria which can be used in lots of different situations.

So after my success last year I have started this year now...

Had a free session with my mums PT who had wrote me out a program to do for six weeks, which he said should help lose some fat and tone up. He has told me to do it three times a week and do cardio whenever possible. I did my first session of it yesterday though and my legs are killing! Quads are soooo sore.

I had my body fat done on a machine and it said I have 23.3%, which the PT and my mum said were lower than they were expecting. It gave my weight a bit higher than I thought it was but he has told me to ignore BMI completly as I am tall and have quite a large frame.

I had been going the gym for a few months before and have increased lean muscle in arms, shoulders etc. My main goal now is to tone up some more and lose some more fat in the progress (hopefully).

Thanks Charlie. Also, I think I've heard that SMART thing somewhere before as well, it is an awesome thing to follow and true as well. Hopefully, I'll be having a six-pack at some point in 2012 or 2013.

So after my success last year I have started this year now...

Had a free session with my mums PT who had wrote me out a program to do for six weeks, which he said should help lose some fat and tone up. He has told me to do it three times a week and do cardio whenever possible. I did my first session of it yesterday though and my legs are killing! Quads are soooo sore.

I had my body fat done on a machine and it said I have 23.3%, which the PT and my mum said were lower than they were expecting. It gave my weight a bit higher than I thought it was but he has told me to ignore BMI completly as I am tall and have quite a large frame.

I had been going the gym for a few months before and have increased lean muscle in arms, shoulders etc. My main goal now is to tone up some more and lose some more fat in the progress (hopefully).

Sounds awesome, dude. What's your exercise plan, if you don't mind sharing. Personal trainers are cool but he's right, BMI is something you should ignore. Just keep on losing weight, eat healthily and exercise and you'll be fighting fit in no time! : peace:

Today, I plan on doing a mile-long walk whilst listening to my music. Last time, it had taken me about half an hour, which is awesome for me. I'm going to take it more easy this time though.

I started just over 2 weeks ago , lost 6 pounds so far,

i injured my knee

( might be a cartalidge or cruciate ligerment got to have mri scan sigh )

and have not been able to jog or play basketball which i normally do daily for over 5 weeks.

just been doing walking, weights, sit ups and eating less than 700 calories a day.

what other exercise would be recomended condsidering i cant run at the moment or twist my knee much, i tried to do some light cycling but that was very uncomfy.

Edited by yesteryeargames

Sounds awesome, dude. What's your exercise plan, if you don't mind sharing.

*Whispers* He has done a lot of 'super sets' one activity followed immediatly by the next, he says it will maximise fat burn etc. And even though I can lift heavier weights, that is for power where he said lower weight high reps is suited for toning and burning.

- Squat Press with a bar with 20KG on, 15 reps and straight after 10-12 press ups. 3 Sets of that.

- Incline Chest press with 16-18KG dum bells, 15 reps of that and straight after 15 bicep curls of 10KG. 3 Sets of that.

- Lat Pull down wide grip with 42.5KG 12 times and straight after same weight but close grip 12 times. 3 Sets of that.

- Then row for 1000M/1500M

- 12 Crunches, straight away 12 Russian twists and straight after that 12 bicycle crunches. 3 sets of that.

Legs are killing me today (that will be the squat presses) and I couldn't quite do all the sets etc but he said to except that but to work towards and by the end of six weeks I should be able to np.

I started just over 2 weeks ago , lost 6 pounds so far,

i injured my knee badly

( might be a cartalidge or cruciate ligerment got to have mri scan sigh )

and have not been able to jog or play basketball which i normally do daily for over 5 weeks.

just been doing walking, weights, sit ups and eating less than 700 calories a day.

what other exercise would be recomended condsidering i cant run at the moment or twist my knee much, i tried to do some light cycling but that was very uncomfy.

What about the cross-trainer? That's quite effective...well, for me it is anyway.

*Whispers* He has done a lot of 'super sets' one activity followed immediatly by the next, he says it will maximise fat burn etc. And even though I can lift heavier weights, that is for power where he said lower weight high reps is suited for toning and burning.

- Squat Press with a bar with 20KG on, 15 reps and straight after 10-12 press ups. 3 Sets of that.

- Incline Chest press with 16-18KG dum bells, 15 reps of that and straight after 15 bicep curls of 10KG. 3 Sets of that.

- Lat Pull down wide grip with 42.5KG 12 times and straight after same weight but close grip 12 times. 3 Sets of that.

- Then row for 1000M/1500M

- 12 Crunches, straight away 12 Russian twists and straight after that 12 bicycle crunches. 3 sets of that.

Legs are killing me today (that will be the squat presses) and I couldn't quite do all the sets etc but he said to except that but to work towards and by the end of six weeks I should be able to np.

Nice! I've been doing the low-weight-high-rep thing and it does work, my arms and my chest is quite toned but unfortunately, my belly lets me down, haha. Rowing kills me! I tried it the other day and I just wanted to die from exhaustion!

Rest.

Do nothing other than light walking as you run the risk of damaging it further in a more serious way.

You could still do weights with your upper body but make sure you don't put any strain in your legs so try and do either seated or prone exercises.

@Mike1988uk - How long rest do you take after a superset? I've always gone for 90-120s but that was just what one gym instructor said was best. And with your press ups, try going to failure for some extra deep burn. You'll notice a huge difference. :)

Never go to failure with weights but when you're using body weight it's absolutely fine.

Decided I should do at least something. My local squash place has a Friday night thing so I've asked them if you need to be a member to take part, of if you can pay just for the night.