NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Weight Loss & Fitness 2012

spiking your diet has been proven to far outweigh the "negative" effects of eating more calories in general over the week.

Leptin is a hormone that regulates your hunger levels and insulin effectiveness.. On a low calorie diet Leptin often gets depleted...within 7-10ish days. Having a high calorie day boosts the levels (usually between 1.5-2 x your BMR) will boost levels back to normal. As long as you do the sums and work out that you're still having a deficit within the week, you will not gain bad weight. Its far easier to stick to and in my experience weight losses are nearly always a little bit more than the numbers "suggest". And its seems to be quite common for bodybuilders to follow it (the guy who invented the spike diet is ripped to fuck, and still eats dohnuts on his high day)

Just back from a good workout at the Gym. Do people realise they're suppose to work their whole body? it's embarrassing that people walk about with tree trunk arms and pencil legs. Not to mention they're out of breath reaching for the dumbbells.

Actually saw a couple of dudes who couldn't straighten their arms properly, I lolled on the inside.

I inhale when I lift...I think.

I exhale on the contraction and inhale on the relax which I thought was the correct way to do it?

I've just read online though that Arnie says it doesn't matter in the slightest.

Yeah, Arnie makes sense. I just do whatever feels comfortable. I don't have a set way of doing it but when I'm pushing higher weights I feel better breathing in.

I don't think it entirely matters. As long as your form is correct and your comfortable then it's all good.

For deadlifting, one should do the following:

When reaching for the bar and preparing to lift it, inhale as much air as you can. This will help your abdomen and stance when lifting the weight.

Next, lift it up. When your hip is fully extended, let go of some of the air, take a new breath, go down and up again without losing any air. You may, if it's heavy, vent out a bit of air just when you are about to have your hips fully extended again as to help getting up (this is also a good idea when squatting).

That's how I was taught to breathe during deadlift (and actually any other lifting).

Actually saw a couple of dudes who couldn't straighten their arms properly, I lolled on the inside.

I've seen some like that too. It's rather sad. What is also sad is when people have trained their abs and pectorals too much so they walk around hunching a bit because their backs aren't strong enough to hold them upright.

Edited by MindFreak

What is also sad is when people have trained their abs and pectorals too much so they walk around hunching a bit because their backs aren't strong enough to hold them upright.

Haha yeah I 'like' that one too.

A lot of people don't realise that to work your core you also need to work you lower back and also upper legs which is part of your core.

I inhale before moving with the deadlift, so when I'm in the starting stance. Then, when moving, I exhale. Kinda like bench pressing, where you exhale as you push with the bar. That's what I do. Not entirely sure if there's even a certain way of doing it, as long as your not inhaling and exhaling whilst screeching from your testicles.

Inhaling while you life seems so counter intuitive, since your core muscles are contracted, meaning your diaphragm is trying to push the air out of your lungs. In fact, that's pretty much true of any lift you do...

I'm in a very feel good mood at the moment so I thought I would share on a up to date progress shot of myself!

Remember October 2010:

69364_10150293546890187_506080186_15383952_6085326_n.jpg

A few days ago:

436efda2.jpg

I'm in a very feel good mood at the moment so I thought I would share on a up to date progress shot of myself!

Remember October 2010:

A few days ago:

436efda2.jpg

Well done, dude. A very noticeable difference. Particularly in the face.

Well done, dude. A very noticeable difference. Particularly in the face.

Cheers! Six stone of a difference :p

That aside I have been amazed about how much my body shape is changing (for the better) from regularly hitting the weights since January. Really gives me drive to continue toning up while losing some more body fat along the way.

Cheers! Six stone of a difference :p

That aside I have been amazed about how much my body shape is changing (for the better) from regularly hitting the weights since January. Really gives me drive to continue toning up while losing some more body fat along the way.

Yeah, it really gives you that sense of accomplishment when you see changes like that. It's what keeps me going really.

I'm going to buy some dumbells/barbell tomorrow as I think I need to do some stuff at home, too. For those days where you get home from work, are pretty tired, but still feel bad for not doing some exercise. Find it difficult to slip in some bicep/tricep work these days due to just not having the time. This should help a lot.

It's rather annoying when you're using a machine at the Gym and some twat is standing over you waiting for you to be done. Don't they realise i'm only going to take longer just to spite them? Don't ask me how many sets i've got left, when I leave that piece of equipment, you can surmise that i'm done.

/rant over.

I don't mind when people ask, that's cool. It's when they just hover. Does my fucking nut in. Also when I see people just stand around and not really do anything; why go to the gym at all.

Remember October 2010:

A few days ago:

436efda2.jpg

Speechless....absolutely speechless....what a transformation! You look awesome, dude! Well done! :yay:

I have to admit, that's a big reason why I hate going to the gym. Can't stand people just hovering like that: When I'm done, you can go on! Go on something else!

Today, I share some great news. For the past week, I have been doing this chart that I'm very sure has been posted on here before but basically it's a way to boost your endurance when running. On my first day, I struggled a little to do 1 minute run and then rest for 1m30s eight times. This is my seventh day of doing this (yeah, I know I'm supposed to be doing it three times a week but I feel uncomfortable doing it) and I did it for over an hour. I also decided to test how long I ran before I stopped. At the start, the longest was 2m10s. The longest I did today was 5m43s. So bloody chuffed!

It's rather annoying when you're using a machine at the Gym and some twat is standing over you waiting for you to be done. Don't they realise i'm only going to take longer just to spite them? Don't ask me how many sets i've got left, when I leave that piece of equipment, you can surmise that i'm done.

/rant over.

I don't mind when people ask, that's cool. It's when they just hover. Does my fucking nut in. Also when I see people just stand around and not really do anything; why go to the gym at all.

Both of these are very true and piss me off...also.

Another one: People who go to the gym in groups of about 3 or more. They take it in turn to do the exact same exercise and spend a good five mins in between each "go" to talk to each other.

Gym in Newport was stupid. There was always this particular guy who would find somebody he knew and would spend all this time talking to them. In the time he's taken to speak to them, I've done my entire workout and am heading for the shower.

I must seem anti-social when I go there.

Anyway, bought some dumbells, a barbell and some weights for usage at home. Will be used to get in some bicep/tricep exercises when I'm struggling for time to get to the gym, as well as other things. Already looking at getting some extra weights for it next month, maybe.

Yeah, it's cool to ask but hover is just fucking ridiculous. That gets me too, if you're not going to put in a decent shift why bother even going to the gym. It doesn't matter what you're trying to achieve wether it be weight loss or adding some muscle, you'll only get what you put. Ambling around on the cross trainer while reading a book isn't going to cut it.

Another one I hate is people who use the weights and then pose in front of the mirror for a good 20 minutes. A gym is there for workouts, not to audition for America's Next Top Bastard Model!

That's another one Flink, the group exercise. Why waste time chatting about what's on TV? channel all your energies into working out, not speaking trash.

Today, I share some great news. For the past week, I have been doing this chart that I'm very sure has been posted on here before but basically it's a way to boost your endurance when running. On my first day, I struggled a little to do 1 minute run and then rest for 1m30s eight times. This is my seventh day of doing this (yeah, I know I'm supposed to be doing it three times a week but I feel uncomfortable doing it) and I did it for over an hour. I also decided to test how long I ran before I stopped. At the start, the longest was 2m10s. The longest I did today was 5m43s. So bloody chuffed!

The C25k program? I did that at the end of last year, and it really helped. I'd not really been much of a runner before and it helped to have a nice structure to follow.

A couple of weeks ago when I was on holiday I ran a 10k, just to see if I could do it. It was awesome.

Now I run 5k a few times a week on my lunch hours and am just working on increasing my pace. Today I ran 5k in 25:30, which I was super chuffed with.

Keep at it, it gets easier!

Anyone into protein shakes? I'm thinking of picking some whey protein just to help with muscle recovery. Running 2 x 12km, 3 visits to the gym and playing football tends to leave me feeling pretty tired at the end of the week. I'm not after anything fancy, probably just just vanilla or chocolate whey powder added to milk. It can be hard to get motivated to exercise when you're still a bit stiff from previous efforts and from everything i've read, this is the stuff to help.

I find even the most basic stuff helps. Just avoid ones with really high salt content because they just bulk you out with water =P

I use the whey protein from H&B, occasionally its on offer for £15 for 1kg. =) It comes in loads of flavours but the out of the ordinary ones are boggin =P (cookies and cream yuck)

protein and milk also helps me sleep, weirdly