NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Weight Loss & Fitness 2012

Weight loss and exercise hurt, let's talk about it to cheer ourselves up.

Anyone that's friends with me on Facebook should know that I've taken up running, starting with the C25K program that was suggested in the 2011 version of this thread.

I've yet to feel a runner's high but, in true gamer fashion, I feel great satisfaction over my high scores. On Boxing Day I ran 5.19km in 30:13. That was awesome. Shaving seconds off my time is what keeps me going through the 10min-20min period where I just want it all to end.

It felt so awesome that I want to lose a bit of weight so that I can run even faster. There are several runners at work and they all run faster than me, but I've only just started - I'll get there!

Do people on here that go to the gym take protein? Should you? Does it work?

I used to, but then I ran out of money. It isn't going to make a palpable difference unless you run a commited schedule of working out strenuously five days a week, putting muscle groups into precisely demarcated rotations.

Theoretically it helps straight after a workout, simply because the protein chains are already broken into their constituent amino acids, so it acts as a quick hit right when you're muscles are beginning to recover (and thus rebuild) without the wait time of your digestive tract having to break down long chain polypeptides.

I've been getting back into cardio recently, simply for the absolutely ridiculous highs of emotion you get.

I'm going to get back on the fitness regime as of Monday, time to shed the Christmas turkey and tone up for summer. Haven't quite decided my plan yet, I might try the 100 push up thing. Because I've always been crap at them. Do a little bit of aerobic exercise to go with that and by June I should be there.

Do people on here that go to the gym take protein? Should you? Does it work?

It's essential. Whether you should buy special protein... that's debatable. Personally, I've had the best results just by drinking a pint of milk every day. It didn't do my skin much good, but it sure as heck built up muscle.

At the moment I'm eating a protein + creatine bar (for convenience) immediately after my workout, but I'm not convinced this "20 minute rule" is all that important, and I think I'm going to need to go back on the milk anyway.

Either way, I do believe you need more protein than is in anyone's normal diet.

That C25k thing looks interesting. I might give it a try if I can find the motivation regularly enough..

Okay so my gym goings have been pretty shit since September of last year.

I lost quite a bit of weight from Jan-Sept, and I'm hoping to do the same again this time.

I use the Nike app on my iPod along with some Nike Lunar Trainers with the Sensor. Normally try to get in a couple of 10km runs a week.

This was last night's effort.

Edited by Jon

Well I lost 5 n half stone last year. I will have put some weight back on over xmas as I 'let me self go' during the festive season but will be back on it soon!

:)

I'm going to try and drop one or two stone in the next 6 months, so lets see what happens, eh?

I've just registered to do the Great North Run today, so I'm in full training now.

Yes you should be eating more protein, but you should be eating more calories so more protein will be automatic if you are eating the right foods. Supplements can be helpful 'cause it can be tricky to get enough protein into your diet, and if you're anything like me its a bit rough on your digestive system taking a lot of eggs/meat. (as I found out to my detriment) I always had mine postworkout because it was delivering the protein there and then. I never leave my shakes any longer than 10 minutes post workout, there is a significant difference in recovery time for me when I take them straight after session rather than half an hour + later.

I haven't been exercising at all this year.. bluumin asthma is taking it out on me and i'd rather not destroy myself in the gym in this condition...:(

I have lost over a stone last year, this year I plan to lose two!

Grazza is definitely right about the milk. We have access to a shitload of milk at school/work, so I have a jug of the stuff every day I'm there. It's a good way to sneak in those calories/protein. :heh:

The one thing I find about consuming more protein is that my body just feels less sore/more ready for another session than I do without the stuff. I had a pretty decent schedule and diet from about August to beginning of December, but have been hit with a few niggles here and there. Sore wrist, sore shoulder, so haven't been exercising as much. I've not been inside a gym for about a month now, but I feel almost refreshed so will be going back again.

I did notice a difference with my body prior to having those niggles. My stomach/chest area in particular looked pretty decent. But, Christmas has turned it all to mooosh again.

Well, last year was defiantly to gain more strength, now gonna get ripped, eaten so much I must say...eggs, oats, meat...and lots of it, broccoli, spinach etc etc... gonna cut back but still have 6 meals a day.

Cor, had a boost of strength today at the gym! Dips are now only two weights away from unassisted.

I should explain, I stopped going to the gym about four years ago, at which point I could do unassisted dips and pull-ups. As I say, I'm almost back to normal with dips, but not with pull-ups. In fact, I'm still needing a lot of assistance on wide pull-ups, and that's been the same since November. Any idea why? I doubt I'm a great deal heavier. Besides, my progress with the dips disproves any theory along those lines.

My current theory is that I need to boost my biceps before I get any progress with wide pull-ups. If that doesn't turn out to be the case, I won't know what to think. Maybe my body is just prioritising the "pushing" muscles to build first, like chest, triceps and shoulders?

I find pull ups really hard, too. I can do unassisted dips, although I wouldn't say I'm great at them. For pull ups, I usually go for assisted and then do a set or two with unassisted, and try to bash out as many reps as I can. It's a struggle, mind. But, it's fun trying.

You will get better if you keep pushing your body. I'm going to go to the gym tomorrow for the first time in about a month. Or at least, I'll try to go before work. Maybe make that your goal, keep focusing on squeezing out another rep, then lower the assisted weight until you can do it without it.

Thanks for the advice, Fierce Link. I did my back + biceps workout today, and got 3 more reps on wide pull-ups. At the end of my workout, I suddenly decided I wanted to test my chin-ups (which aren't part of my programme). You have the option of parallel or diagonal (neutral) grip. Well, I did four diagonal-grip chins unassisted, which I was quite pleased and surprised about. So, it seems my biceps aren't too bad, but my lats are woeful! Just gonna have to build them up, even if it takes longer than I hoped.

At the moment I think I'm loosing quite a bit of weight just through the stress of Uni (work levels/deadlines), combined with not always eating lunch because of this work.

And I'm a naturally skinny guy.

As soon as some of this pressure's off in bit a couple of weeks from now, and especially come the end of term, I'll be going at that extra food to make up for it!

Also starting some proper fitness... cycling... maybe gym and swimming even.

I use a protein supplement just to help with muscle recovery whenever I get back from the gym - I do find it makes a difference. I will sometimes have some just before I go bed to ensure my muscles are still getting a supply of protein through the night since I won't exactly be taking anything in for the next 8 or so hours.

The weigh in machine finally gave me a full reading the other day. I was getting my weight and height but not body fat - typical it would give me the results right after christmas indulgence.

Anyway, I'm 69.4kg and my body fat is 16%. I want to get my weight up and the fat down.

Really need to start getting back on the cardio exercises but it was fitting it in around everything else and having some time to myself that saw it fall by the way side.

i can barely do bench dips ffs ;( i'm not particularly weak but I weigh a tad too much and I have constant problems with my shoulders. :(

p.s is 16%BF not really very low anyway? methinks you still need some fat... lol

my bf is 29% according to the weight/measurements formula. JUST in the normal for females (up to 30%) which is odd because some bf scales would have me reading at 45%! I know they are notoriously unreliable because I could step on and off and get two completely different readings.. I'm really very bulky in size/bone structure so I expected it

Edited by Raining_again

This website you gave said my body fat is 13%. Never got my body fat measured before. How reliable is this?

There isn't really an absolute measurement to be honest. Doctors use the method I posted if they have no fancy equipment available but you can be measured by being submersed in water and all kinds of crazy shit.

You can also use scales which rely on impedance (electric flow, fat reacts differently to water etc) but that again isn't wholly reliable because even down to how clean the scales are/how clean your feet are can mess with it. And even like generic weight scales...buying cheap won't get you reliable results.

The weights/measurements formula are the most reliable of the easily accessed methods. There are so many different factors, such as how weight (or lack of) looks on a person. You don't have to be within "normal" guidelines to be healthy... I'm nowhere near healthy yet (bmi of 35!) yet mines given as healthy (29%)... albeit borderline..