NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Weight Loss & Fitness 2012

I started going to the gym in June. Never set foot in one before. Been doing a mix of cardio and weight/resistance training. I'm ridiculously unfit but I'm determined to keep going. I usually spend about an hour and a half in there four or five times a week - normally 3 miles run on the treadmill, 2 miles on the rower, as well as plenty of the resistance stuff. I try to eat sensibly too. I have the odd meal out, but I cook pretty healthily most nights and don't have takeaways or McDonalds.

And I've lost a grand total of....nothing, nada, zilch! I'm still the same weight I was before I started going. I'm not really bothered though - I feel a lot better for the changes I've made, both physically and mentally so the lack of weight loss, though a bit annoying, is hardly soul destroying.

Who cares about a number on a scale if you feel better about yourself?

How have your eating habits been? If you're still eating lots of junk food, fizzy drinks etc then it's unlikely you'll lose much, if any, weight. Eating habits are perhaps more important than exercise for losing weight.

I eat pretty well. Lots of fish, chicken and veg. Trying to cut down on bread so usually eat cereal in the morning followed by sushi and fruit for lunch with chicken and/or pasta for dinner. Very rarely have takeaways and never go to the fast food joints (bleurgh!) I also go through about 3 bottles of water a day.

Like I said, I feel loads better so the lack of weight loss isn't really an issue.

I haven't posted in here for ages because.... basically I have nothing to report except me winging. Still got a problem with my lower back, have now seen a sports theropist to help things along.

I'm going to start back in the gym again soon but start back at the beginning :( with low weights etc to ease myself back in. Even if I can still life the heavier stuff.

Did anyone see the Horizon documentary about the research into fasting? I found found it very interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM

The health benefits sound amazing so I'm trying it out. Did 2 days last week and doing 3 days this week (today was the 1st of the 3)

I posted it a few pages ago. Been doing ADF for about 7 weeks now, and loving it :) I do mon/wed/fri "fasts" (although I stick to 500 cals on fasts as of the Alternate Day Diet book - its a book that's been around before the documentary was made)

The documentary is quite interesting, and covers not just ADF, but calorie counting, and fasts for 3/4 days every month (don't think I could do that one!)

I love brown bread, just got so much more flavour than white! That stuff look really nice. Never heard of it!

It's funny that this is really something we only do in Denmark. I've had visitors from Spain and they bought some rye bread (which I now know it's called, not rugbread) and eated it like it were a snack. That was very weird to watch but then again, freshly baked rye bread is perhaps somewhat the most delicious thing ever.

If you are up to it, there is a recipe in the external links of this Wikipedia article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugbrød

(ø is pronounced somewhat like the e-sound in 'erm').

On topic, my girlfriend and I decidede to try some low carb 'diets'. It's really more of a life style change than a diet. We get inspiration from the paleo diet, of which I am a huge fan, and then just cut back on bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. It's really nice, we both feel more energetic and I think I can tell a difference on her body. My major concern at first was that it was going to be very expensive but it's really ok. I've started going more to the Middle Eastern supermarkets to buy my vegetables and other things because it is quite cheap there, and cutting back on bread and cold cuts (sorry if this isn't the right word for it; the topping you put on bread) actually frees quite a bit of money. So it's all good.

Edited by MindFreak

I posted it a few pages ago. Been doing ADF for about 7 weeks now, and loving it :) I do mon/wed/fri "fasts" (although I stick to 500 cals on fasts as of the Alternate Day Diet book - its a book that's been around before the documentary was made)

The documentary is quite interesting, and covers not just ADF, but calorie counting, and fasts for 3/4 days every month (don't think I could do that one!)

I nearly ate my hand today. For me, watching the doc, I didn't see it as a weight loss plan foremost although that's something that happens. I was really interested in all the healing benefits of it. If anyone is looking to lose weight and can't stick to cut-downs and diets, ADF is perfect I think because at least you know the next day you can eat well! Diets and cut-downs are just long hard slogs that most people will never stick to.

I've noticed fasting gives me very surreal dreams. Today I noticed I felt more mentally focused , pretty weird man. But yeah, Chinese buffet on Wednesday so it's all good ;)

It's funny that this is really something we only do in Denmark. I've had visitors from Spain and they bought some rye bread (which I now know it's called, not rugbread) and eated it like it were a snack. That was very weird to watch but then again, freshly baked rye bread is perhaps somewhat the most delicious thing ever.

If you are up to it, there is a recipe in the external links of this Wikipedia article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugbrød

(ø is pronounced somewhat like the e-sound in 'erm').

On topic, my girlfriend and I decidede to try some low carb 'diets'. It's really more of a life style change than a diet. We get inspiration from the paleo diet, of which I am a huge fan, and then just cut back on bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. It's really nice, we both feel more energetic and I think I can tell a difference on her body. My major concern at first was that it was going to be very expensive but it's really ok. I've started going more to the Middle Eastern supermarkets to buy my vegetables and other things because it is quite cheap there, and cutting back on bread and cold cuts (sorry if this isn't the right word for it; the topping you put on bread) actually frees quite a bit of money. So it's all good.

I've seen Rye in the supermarket. I picked it up and it felt like you could easily cave someone's head in with it! I'm not really a fan of low carb diets, especially the Atkins; think that's really poor for holistic health and if you come off them you just bang the weight on more than ever. As long as you stick to whole carbs and stick to say two rounds of bread a day and some rice/pasta at night you should be in rude health.

Ohhhh man, they're making apple strudel on TV!!! ARGHHHHH

Edited by madeinbeats

I nearly ate my hand today. For me, watching the doc, I didn't see it as a weight loss plan foremost although that's something that happens. I was really interested in all the healing benefits of it. If anyone is looking to lose weight and can't stick to cut-downs and diets, ADF is perfect I think because at least you know the next day you can eat well! Diets and cut-downs are just long hard slogs that most people will never stick to.

I've noticed fasting gives me very surreal dreams. Today I noticed I felt more mentally focused , pretty weird man. But yeah, Chinese buffet on Wednesday so it's all good ;)

I've seen Rye in the supermarket. I picked it up and it felt like you could easily cave someone's head in with it! I'm not really a fan of low carb diets, especially the Atkins; think that's really poor for holistic health and if you come off them you just bang the weight on more than ever. As long as you stick to whole carbs and stick to say two rounds of bread a day and some rice/pasta at night you should be in rude health.

Ohhhh man, they're making apple strudel on TV!!! ARGHHHHH

haha I know I'm on a fast day today, and I could eat my hand!!! I am distracting myself to the extreme, a computer and 2 ipads..... im not crazy honest! I've managed to stick to adf for 7 weeks and the only "breaks" ive had were things I couldn't get out of, and i've dealt with them as best I can. I've never broken a fast day once, and I've done over 20. Its hunger but its all in my head. Just ignore the rumbly tum!

ADF is getting seriously popular now, the dieting support forum I go on has had the ADF sub forum promoted higher on the page and its pretty awesome that ADF is getting recognition in the diet world :)

I get very surreal dreams during fast days but I find that most of the time I'm NEVER as hungry as I expect I'd be on my feed days! I actually end up craving sensible stuff, like I dunno, sausage and mash!

I tried atkins for a few days and the meat/fat actually turned my stomach, I felt like I was going to be sick constantly... I've done keto shake diets of 600calories per day and found those a lot easier than atkins.

Ah, no. It's not really atkins - I find that a bit too strict and too limiting. I just replace my lunch bread by vegetables and replace pasta and other fillers by salads, beans or vegetables like broccoli. Having said that, though, I must say that we're not fanatical. We do eat bread just really try to avoid it mostly, and then we try to find replacements for rice and pasta. For instance, I today made 'pasta' and meatsauce - but the pasta was squash - or we replace rice by quinoa which has more protein and less carbs.

Edited by MindFreak

I've been doing ADF for a few weeks now and it's really easy. I do tend to get some food related mind wanderings during the day though. I find myself daydreaming about fish and chips and curry (not together, i'm not that hungry), but otherwise it really isn't that hard. I was actually surprise to find out how many of the meals i used to cook are around 600 calories (providing i only eat a normal amount of it).

I'm wondering though about switching to the one where you do a 24 hour fast, and then eat a normal meal on your fast day, i.e you eat a normal meal around 8 the day before, then don't eat anything until 8 the next day, and then have a normal meal again then, rather than only 500/600 calories. If that one works, i'd much rather do that one.

Thing is, i don't know which method works best. I'd be willing to try both out, and see which works best, but i don't have a set of scales and no way to measure cholesterol etc, so it's hard to tell if it's working or not....

For the runners/fitness folk amongst us. Anyone know of any decent/cheap websites to get equipment? I'm after a pair of Nike Anti Blister socks, I'm currently using a pair of Karrimor marathon socks, but they don't have much protection on the inner part of the foot. I've looked at Amazon/SportsDirect, just wondering if anyone knew of a cheap site.

I've been doing ADF for a few weeks now and it's really easy. I do tend to get some food related mind wanderings during the day though. I find myself daydreaming about fish and chips and curry (not together, i'm not that hungry), but otherwise it really isn't that hard. I was actually surprise to find out how many of the meals i used to cook are around 600 calories (providing i only eat a normal amount of it).

I'm wondering though about switching to the one where you do a 24 hour fast, and then eat a normal meal on your fast day, i.e you eat a normal meal around 8 the day before, then don't eat anything until 8 the next day, and then have a normal meal again then, rather than only 500/600 calories. If that one works, i'd much rather do that one.

Thing is, i don't know which method works best. I'd be willing to try both out, and see which works best, but i don't have a set of scales and no way to measure cholesterol etc, so it's hard to tell if it's working or not....

According to the alternate day fast book, 500 calories behaves the same way as a fast. I've seen people say they haven't lost as much fasting as they do actually having 500, which is odd, as you'd think the opposite! I guess whatever suits your lifestyle best is a good idea. :)

Just done a 5 mile run in 48 minutes. Not a great time I know, but I am a fat man, so one step at a time.

The biggest dude in the gym asked me to spot for him last night. I must be doing something right!...

I was out for a friend-from-school's birthday on Saturday night wearing what can only be described a (very) tight fitting white tshirt. 4 different people commented on how my body is looking good!

Work are doing a health and wellbeing program, the first project is each floor has to climb the equivilent of Snowdon in flights of stairs. Basically, my building is 16 floors. They've worked out this has to be done 25 times to reach the summit. Around 400 floors, and i've done 9 floors so far.

It's a start to get fit i suppose, i know i can do a lot more.

How long do you have to complete it?

Can you just take the stairs once a day and do it in a year?

ooo hoooo i'm doing great. Fully implemented intermittent fasting into my life so much so I don't even have to think about it.

Anti depressants are helping with my appetite/emotional eating issues, and I feel bloody fantastic.

Once I get the weight down a bit i'm considering rejoining my gym, now that I've got my diet down to fine art I'll be able to exercise on my "normal" evenings (mon, wed, fri, sat). I always struggled with getting the diet AND exercise going together... but now my diet has become a way of life, I can start to make an effort going to the gym. And I really miss spin class :p

I'm just about to finish the second week on my new swimming schedule of 3 times a week. Swimming is great. I don't have to worry about weights being used or getting really sweaty, and it works out my arms a lot, with a nice bit of cardio. Also gets my legs too which I tend to ignore. And, lastly it's fun, even without music.

I just like swimming.

I'm just about to finish the second week on my new swimming schedule of 3 times a week. Swimming is great. I don't have to worry about weights being used or getting really sweaty, and it works out my arms a lot, with a nice bit of cardio. Also gets my legs too which I tend to ignore. And, lastly it's fun, even without music.

I just like swimming.

That's the one thing that fucks off with the Gym. I'm normally on a pretty tight schedule and it's very frustrating. when you can't get the weights or use the machines you need. It's easy for people to say just use something else but it's not quite that simple when you have a specific workout plan.

That's the one thing that fucks off with the Gym. I'm normally on a pretty tight schedule and it's very frustrating. when you can't get the weights or use the machines you need. It's easy for people to say just use something else but it's not quite that simple when you have a specific workout plan.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I've found it so much easier to get my workouts done (and a lot quicker, too) since I bought my own bench and weights. The only exercise I feel I'm missing out on is leg work, but my goal will be to get some squat stands at some point in the future. But still, I'll still be missing out on leg presses and the like.

Also, back work is a bit limited without access to a lateral pulldown or some sort of pullup bar. Plus, I need a bit more weight to really push myself with the deadlifts. Right now I'm doing them stiff legged as I don't need as much weight for that.

But yeah, can't tell you how many times I've gone to a gym with my workout plan in mind, only to see that it's busy or all the benches are taken up or that somebody is hogging some of the weights that I need.

I just like swimming.

Swimming is brilliant. What stroke do you swim? Front crawl is the best for an upper body work out as it uses every muscle. Keep your head down in the water and stretch out as far as you can with your arms.

When I swim I tend to do as a warm up (25m pool):

4x FC

4x FC arms

4x FC legs

4x FC

Great to get the blood pumping and ready to get in the swing of things properly. If I've done weights already I'll probably do around 50 lengths but of there haven't been any weights I'll go for around 100.

Yeah, I agree with you there. I've found it so much easier to get my workouts done (and a lot quicker, too) since I bought my own bench and weights. The only exercise I feel I'm missing out on is leg work, but my goal will be to get some squat stands at some point in the future. But still, I'll still be missing out on leg presses and the like.

Have you considered front squats? I find them quite challenging without a lot of weight. You don't want to go heavy with them too soon anyway as you need to hone your form, especially if you have to clean the weight up as I have to.

You can always do high rep squats and lunges too, at least just for a while.

Also, back work is a bit limited without access to a lateral pulldown or some sort of pullup bar. Plus, I need a bit more weight to really push myself with the deadlifts. Right now I'm doing them stiff legged as I don't need as much weight for that.

Have you got enough weight for bent over rows? Also if you have dumbells you could do some reverse flies and "batwings" on your bench.

Just done my 5 mile run. Was a few minutes quicker and found it a lot easier. I'm definitely getting fitter, I just don't seem to be losing weight.

@MoogleViper in that case you won't mind doing the same run again tomorrow' date=' will you?[/quote']

I think you're underestimating how lazy I am.

I will be playing football on thursday though, I'm not a complete couch potato.

Edited by MoogleViper